PDA

View Full Version : My new gaming purchases

AngelGraves13
06-05-08, 06:37 PM
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6UZBM) - Finally I can toss out my cheap mouse and keyboard that cost like 10 bucks each that I've had for close to 5 years! Well, ok...my mouse is an old Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0, but the keyboard is generic and cheap. It's got that 1980's dirty white look and feel to it. Straight into the garbage tomorrow!! I'll give the mouse to my dad, it's still good even though I've dropped it once or twice when my foot tangled around the cable. :) No more cables!

Creative Fatal1ty Professional Series Gaming Headset (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MS2896) - Finally, I will be able to speak in TF2! No more wasted ubers. No more wasted time typing. Also, these have a great SNR of 105 so I'll be using them as headphones too!

Earphones:

* Driver Units: 40mm Neodymium Magnet
* Frequency Response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz
* Impedance: 32 ohms
* Sensitivity (1kHz): 105dB/mW

Microphone:

* Microphone Type: Noise-Canceling Condenser
* Frequency Response: 100Hz ~ 18kHz
* Impedance: < 2.2kohms
* Sensitivity (1kHz): -39dBV/Pa
* Cord Length: 8-foot / 2.5m Oxygen-Free Copper cable
* Input/Output Plugs: 1/8" (3.5mm) gold-plated stereo miniplugs
* Net Weight: 7oz./200g (without packaging)

BTW...I'm thinking of getting rechargeable batteries for the mouse and keyboard. I'm set on the Sanyo Eneloop NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries with Charger (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WPJIME/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk). They're the new low self-discharge NiMH battery (LSD NiMH), which maintains 85 percent of their capacity after 1 year of storage, and can be recharged 1,000 times. Sounds better than buying new batteries all the damn time.

Let me know what you guys think, especially about the batteries (if I should get them or not).

grey_1
06-05-08, 07:25 PM
Get 2 sets of batteries and keep one on standby duty.

No more cordless for me...right in the middle of something and the mouse would start acting up or keyboard die.

XDanger
06-06-08, 02:09 PM
My old wireless mouse used to have me looking up and spinning on the spot at inopportune moments, And it lagged.

Wired ftw.

Also laser was a fad that didn't pan out.

AngelGraves13
06-06-08, 05:39 PM
Loving the headphones!

bacon12
06-07-08, 10:38 AM
I have some energizer rechargeables and the charger works with all sizes from AAA-D.

Glad you like the headphones. :)

AngelGraves13
06-16-08, 03:42 AM
The keyboard and mouse are nice as well. Stupid placement of volume control though on the keyboard. The mouse is also comfy but big. I always seem to almost knock it down or always press Mouse3 (back) button when reaching for it after typing a post and then have to type it all over again.

I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Also, I'm going to replace my hard drives in 2 weeks with 2 500 GB Hitachi Deskstar drives. Now I'll have more room for music and games. My iTunes TV Shows folder is like 200 GB by itself.

My next purchase will be replacing my memory with 4 GB of OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289) memory. Either that or Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197) memory. They're the same price. I think I might go with the Corsair. Last time I got OCZ memory, 2 of them didn't work at all.

Any suggestions on the memory?

nekrosoft13
06-16-08, 06:42 AM
MS does make some of the best wireless devices

I still have my MS wireless multimedia kit. Keyboard goes on two batteries for over a year. while mouse goes on for 6+ months. Simply amazing stuff

nekrosoft13
06-16-08, 06:45 AM
Also, I'm going to replace my hard drives in 2 weeks with 2 500 GB Hitachi Deskstar drives. Now I'll have more room for music and games. My iTunes TV Shows folder is like 200 GB by itself.

if you can get 2 WD 640GB drives, very fast. look at my "nekro got new HDD" thread.

AngelGraves13
06-16-08, 11:53 PM
if you can get 2 WD 640GB drives, very fast. look at my "nekro got new HDD" thread.

My dad bought 40 of these drives a year ago and still has 10 or so unused, so I took 2 of them and he didn't mind. So, they're free.

wolfgar
06-19-08, 04:26 PM
Wireless is not the best for gaming.

I recently swapped my logitech wireless for the new Cyber Snipa Black/Red Wired Laser Stinger

I noticed that the wireless stops transmitting if motionless for a few seconds. When you start moving/clicking there is a slight delay/loss.

Not good in TF2 when you're playing a sniper.

The lighter weight helps too.

AngelGraves13
06-29-08, 03:19 PM
The keyboard is actually giving me a problem in TF2. When I hold W key to walk forward, after a while of holding it...I just stop moving and have to press another button to wake it up again. That's pretty stupid! So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I should plug it into the front of my computer so the receiver is closer to the keyboard and mouse? The mouse is fine though and doesn't turn off since I'm always moving it.

nekrosoft13
06-29-08, 03:25 PM
Wireless is not the best for gaming.

not axcactly true, i have old old MS wireless multimedia keyboard that is perfect for gaming. 2 AA batteries work for over a year and it never gives any trouble.

but i noticed that all new wireless keyboards are ****. either un-responsive, can't hold multiple keys. stop doing what they supposed to do.

It is weird that they had the technology mastered over 5+ years ago, but they can't get it working well now.

crainger
06-29-08, 04:50 PM
We have noticed the same thing here at work, some of the older MS and Logitech sets we have had to replace do to wear, performed flawlessly throughout out their long lives. Now the new sets are failing left right a centre, other users do not like the click to wake feature MS is now installing on their wireless mice.

nekrosoft13
06-29-08, 06:07 PM
it is weird that old stuff works great, but all the new sets are trash