PDA

View Full Version : Choosing A DVD Burner

Pages : [1] 2

seeker
06-07-08, 12:11 AM
I need to replace a burner, and I've been looking around, but as is the norm for me, the more that I look, the more uncertain I become. I know that I want a 20X Lightscribe black IDE burner, but I'm not certain about the brand or model. These are so cheap that I want the best available. Is there anything about a particular unit that would cinch it?

nekrosoft13
06-07-08, 01:18 AM
get the 22x Samsung SH-S223 series. it can only burn 2 or 4 type of DVDs at 22x. this is one excellent quality drive

seeker
06-07-08, 01:42 AM
That looks like a good drive, but it has a couple of problems. First, it is SATA, which I do not want. Second, it doesn't appear to be Lightscribe and last, the only source that I found for it was Newegg, which I will not do business with.

lightman
06-07-08, 01:13 PM
Philips SPD6005 : http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/philips-spd6005/2260

nekrosoft13
06-07-08, 01:34 PM
lightman no need to get philips, its only a Samsung OEM drive, that Philips is Samsung SH-S202

seeker
06-07-08, 02:11 PM
I guess it's not a big factor, but one thing that I like IDE drives for is that the LiteONs and Pioneers that I have had had connections for analog and digital audio. However, while Ebaying, I came across this LG drive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LG-LightScribe-20X-Light-Scribe-H55L-DVD-RW-Burner-Nero_W0QQitemZ140238779365QQihZ004QQcategoryZ51065 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It said nothing about audio connections, but it had a USB connection. What would that be used for...connecting it externally?

I haven't found any media faster than 16X. What good is a faster drive...futureproofing?

nekrosoft13
06-07-08, 03:43 PM
it doesn't say anywhere that it has USB.

and that LG H55L is one bad drive, burn quality is ****ty. If you want LG you have to get GH20 (sata again) but at least it burns good.

when it comes to 20x burning, its useless, you can burn certain 16x dvds at 20x (like verbatim, original maxell (not that taiwan crap you find in stores) taiyo yuden)

burning at 20x is never recommended, seems like you are trying to buy something that you have little knoledge off, do some reading at club.cdfreaks.com

burning 16x media at 12x is the best, if you want good burns, some 8x media is better then 16x media. for example 8x taiyo yuden is better then most 16x media on the market.

if you want IDE drive two best choices are pioneer dvr-115 (dvr-116 will be out in 1-3 weeks) and samsung sh-s202

seeker
06-07-08, 04:23 PM
it doesn't say anywhere that it has USB.

Unfortunately, the link that I gave above is no longer valid, but here is another on the same drive:

http://ca.lge.com/en/products/model/detail/dvdwriter_gsah55l.jhtml#

The specs says:

REAR PANEL CONNECTIONS :USB Connector, Power Connector, Power Switch

and that LG H55L is one bad drive, burn quality is ****ty. If you want LG you have to get GH20 (sata again) but at least it burns good.

I don't particularly want LG. I don't really have any brand preferences. I only want the functions and features that I need.

when it comes to 20x burning, its useless, you can burn certain 16x dvds at 20x (like verbatim, original maxell (not that taiwan crap you find in stores) taiyo yuden)

This is kind of what I suspected, but it is good to hear what you say.

burning at 20x is never recommended, seems like you are trying to buy something that you have little knoledge off, do some reading at club.cdfreaks.com

If I knew the answers, I wouldn't be asking questions here.

burning 16x media at 12x is the best, if you want good burns, some 8x media is better then 16x media. for example 8x taiyo yuden is better then most 16x media on the market.

Thlis is good to know, because I was just about to order some 16x Taiyo Yudens. I noticed that Taiyo Yuden produces two grades of 8x media...Premium and Value. From what I read, the value line sounds like their culls.

if you want IDE drive two best choices are pioneer dvr-115 (dvr-116 will be out in 1-3 weeks) and samsung sh-s202
I'll take a look at both of them.

lightman
06-08-08, 04:42 AM
lightman no need to get philips, its only a Samsung OEM drive, that Philips is Samsung SH-S202

Given that we're talking about a 3$ (at worst) difference in price, I don't see the problem ;)

I just got the Philips simply because it was readily available... And because I always had Philips and never had a problem with them :)

By the way, if I remember correctly, at least for some time Philips drives were LiteON ones with a different package/badge/firmware. I guess they just get what they think are good drives, and rebadge them.

By the way, the equivalent Samsung is the SH-S202N.

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 01:48 PM
when it comes to optical drive manufactures, most of them follow a pattern, but from time to time they skew from that patter.

for example
Sony drives, in past most of them Lite-on, few better ones were BenQ, and most of them Optiarc-NEC
NEC drives, most are build on their own NEC chips, one recent drive was Lite-on
Pioneer drives, i think all of them are build on NEC chips, don't recall a different chip
Lite-on drives, all are probably mediatek, don't recall a different chip
Samsung drives, also all mediatek, some older might be diffrent
Philips drives, in past they used BenQ\Philips design, then Lite-on, now Samsung
Asus drives, used to re-badge Pioneer drives, now experimenting with Mediatek chips, so far bad results
Plextor drives, used to use Sanyo chips, few recent drives were BenQ, Pioneer and NEC design
LG drives, mostly Panasonic and Renesesas (spelling?) design

never had good luck with Lite-on, plus I really dislike those bastards for killing of BenQ drives.

BTW lightman, try to crossflash that drive, and use Codeking firmware mods on your drive, removed rip-lock, faster DL reading (16x) faster SL reading (18x), faster 12x burning.

seeker
06-09-08, 02:09 PM
nekrosoft13,

Your post if very insightful, but at looking at how to make it most useful, it would appear that the most common denominator is the chip used to make them. Since most of them appear to use the Mediatek, it would appear that they would be on a par with each other. Since I can't see any advantage in buying a rebadged drive, it would appear that the choice boils down to LiteON, Plextor and those listed afterward. I know that Plextor was once considered the top, but I recall hearing comments otherwise lately.

The only optical drives that I have had personal experience with are LiteON and Pioneer, with considerably more with the former. I understand your bias toward them, but my concern at the moment is which drive is the best, regardless of who made it. Outside of your resentment, can you tell me anything specifically negative about LiteON? The LiteON that I have had seemed okay, outside of failures, but they failed due to outside causes.

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 02:18 PM
not all mediatek based burners burn the same

Samsung generally burns a bit better then Lite-on, but Lite-on is considered a better scanner. Asus is still playing with mediatek chip, and their first two initial burner series are considered rather bad.

Plextor was the only drive manufacture to use Sanyo chips/laser. There drives were expensive and didn't sell well recently. To save their optical drive division they started re-badging other drives.

When it comes to Lite-on in general they rather cheap design, tray is usually very flimsy.

Burn quality wise between samsung and lite-on is pretty close. I have total of 10 DVD burners that I do use and test.

Samsung drives generate less noise then Lite-on. Tray feels more solid, doesn't feel like its about to fall out.

seeker
06-09-08, 02:27 PM
Thanks, that is the kind of objectiveness that I can use.

stevemedes
06-09-08, 02:29 PM
i have the samsung sh-203b, its sata but i think they might make an ide version. great drive, comes highly recommended on the cdfreaks forums.

seeker
06-09-08, 03:12 PM
I just ordered the Samsung SH-S202N. I hope that I like it as much as you do your's.

lightman
06-09-08, 03:27 PM
I just ordered the Samsung SH-S202N. I hope that I like it as much as you do your's.

You won't regret it. I have the Philips version, and it's great. :)

Btw, nekro, I will try the mod you've suggested... Care to give me a link to a tutorial ? I never flashed a burner, although I flashed almost any other thing that's possible to flash :) (now that I think about it, this last sentence could be misinterpreted... hmm... :D)

seeker
06-18-08, 01:51 PM
I ran a test on a data CD with Nero Drive Speed, and the Samsung only gave ~10MB/s transfer rate. Even my old Liteon Combo drive gives triple that. I recall nekrosoft13 as saying that they don't scan as well as LiteON, but I seriously doubt that this is what he meant.

I asked for an RMA yesterday, but have not heard back from the seller yet. Outside of making sure of the connections, is there anything else that I can do to possibly fix this myself? A person on another forum suggested flashing the firmware, but there is only two listed on the Samsung website (SB00 and SB01), but I have not found a way to learn what the current firmware on the drive is. Is this a good idea, or should I just replace it?

nekrosoft13,

As for you comment regarding the design and construction of the tray, I found that the Liteon that I have is just as good, if not better. Of course, that may vary, depending on the models compared.

nekrosoft13
06-18-08, 02:08 PM
could you post the NERO CD-DVD speed transfer rate scan and quality scan.

don't use NERO DiscSpeed that program is busted a bit.

seeker
06-18-08, 02:48 PM
could you post the NERO CD-DVD speed transfer rate scan and quality scan.

don't use NERO DiscSpeed that program is busted a bit.
Here is the transfer scan. I have never used the quality scan before, but I just ran it. I don't know whether to give you the graphical interface, or the text dialog that it opened. The first appeared to be very low...1-2, but the text window showed no errors. Even if the CD is not that good, I used the same one when testing with the LiteON.

nekrosoft13
06-18-08, 03:25 PM
this is what you should be getting with Data CD

by scan i meant Quality Scan tab in Nero CD-DVD Speed, and i'm not sure if you runned that, to actually enable that you need to make a tiny change in registry.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6206/capturemq7.jpg

nekrosoft13
06-18-08, 03:28 PM
i just remembered maybe you accidently turned on quite mode

http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/MSpeed/MSpeed.asp

check out MagicSpeed tool

nekrosoft13
06-18-08, 03:29 PM
one more thing

here is special modded firmware by a firmware guru named C0deKing
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/samsung/dvdrw/S202N.SB01.patched-fb-fr.rar

this firmware enable

Fast Burn (-FB):
Fast Burn uses P-CAV for 12x burning with both +R and -R media. Now 12x burning takes around 6 minutes, a saving of around 1:20 over the stock 12x CAV burn.

and

Fast Read (-FR):
Fast Read converts the 16x read speed to an 18x read speed. Reading has proved to be very reliable at this speed in the latest MTK drives. To date I haven't found a disc that will read at 16x, that won't read at 18x. Tools that report the read speed will still show the drive as a 16x reader and the next lower read speed is 12x.

seeker
06-18-08, 03:53 PM
If my speeds were as good as your's, I wouldn't complain. Your mention of quiet mode was good, because I do recall playing with that in Nero, but I don't know if that was before or after testing. To be sure, I reset it to fast mode in Nero, but the test was the same. I then tried MagicSpeed, which I noticed opened showing a setting of silent mode, so I reset it to fast, but found no way to apply the setting or close the window. I went ahead and tested again, but still the same results.

Your mention of flashing the firmware goes back to my original question, because it doesn't seem that should be necessary on a brand new drive. Wouldn't that effect the warranty on the drive? I'm simply trying to look at all aspects.

seeker
06-18-08, 05:56 PM
I decided to run another test, this time with a movie DVD. It wasn't much better, but I'm puzzled by one thing...the CPU usage figures, not only on this test, but on the previous one also. They do not seem to follow the pattern that I'm accustomed to.

seeker
06-18-08, 08:13 PM
Without finding answers elsewlhere, I went back to the eBay ad for this drive. Here is a portion that seems to relate:

CD-ROM
Read 48 X (7.2MB/sec)

CD-R
Write 48 X (7.2MB/sec)

CD-RW
Write 32 X (4.8MB/sec)

Performance Features Disc Labeling Support Yes
Disc Labeling Media Ver 1.2 Support Yes
Burst Transfer Rate
Average Access Time
CD-ROM 110 ms
DVD-ROM 130 ms

Speed Adjustment Technology : S.A.T Yes
Magic Speed Yes
Double O.P.C Technology Yes
Firmware Live Update Yes

Are those read/write values for CDs what they appear to be? They seem to indicate that what I have posted above is normal...at least for CDs. For DVDs there were no such parenthetical values.

This drive came as bulk, so there was no manual, Therefore I have no idea of the meaning of the other items that followed...S.A.T., double O.P.C, or even firmware live update, since there was no software, except Nero 8. I will look for this information on the Samsung website, but considering how long that may take, it would be far faster if someone here will shine a light for me.