PDA

View Full Version : Replacing PSUs and graphic cards in an OEM pc? Possible or not?

PlayerZen14
06-07-08, 05:33 AM
im getting a free dell optiplex 755. i'd prefer building my own pc but it's free, so might as well use it.

the specs:

e8400
q35 matx mobo
2x1gb ddr2 800 sdram
2400xt (bleh:p)
22" ultrasharp dell
305w psu (:()
mini tower chassis
i think one exhaust and one intake fan.

the thing is, i want to replace that crappy 2400xt with a 9600gt or maybe the upcoming rv770. apparently, this case can support a graphics card of 4.5" height and 9" length. will a 9600gt fit into that space? will it automatically be recognized by OEM pcs?

if i DO buy a replacement graphics card, that means ill have to upgrade the 305w psu to roughly 400-500w to stay safe. i was thinking a corsair vx450w or an antec earthwatts 500w. but will it even fit into the dell's mini tower chassis?

thanks a lot guys. oh wait one last thing. is it possible in ANY WAY to overclock OEM pc's? thanks

Q
06-07-08, 07:58 AM
im getting a free dell optiplex 755. i'd prefer building my own pc but it's free, so might as well use it.

the specs:

e8400
q35 matx mobo
2x1gb ddr2 800 sdram
2400xt (bleh:p)
22" ultrasharp dell
305w psu (:()
mini tower chassis
i think one exhaust and one intake fan.

the thing is, i want to replace that crappy 2400xt with a 9600gt or maybe the upcoming rv770. apparently, this case can support a graphics card of 4.5" height and 9" length. will a 9600gt fit into that space? will it automatically be recognized by OEM pcs?

if i DO buy a replacement graphics card, that means ill have to upgrade the 305w psu to roughly 400-500w to stay safe. i was thinking a corsair vx450w or an antec earthwatts 500w. but will it even fit into the dell's mini tower chassis?

thanks a lot guys. oh wait one last thing. is it possible in ANY WAY to overclock OEM pc's? thanks

I work with Optiplex 755's on a daily basis. They are VERY nice Dell machines.

I'm ot sure about the 9600GT. The case looks rather spacious for an OEM, but it's just hard to tell without the 9600GT measurements.

Also, consider adding another fan in there if you can. I don't think there are screw holes in the back for an exhaust fan, but if you put a high end graphics card in there I would highly suggest zip tying something to the grates on the back. These machines are cooled by ONE 120mm (Maybe larger?) fan located in front of the processor blowing straight back over the mobo. and out the back grates.

The PSU's are about standard size with no propriatery connectors. However, on the PSU itself it might have a special cable routing snap-in. No biggie there. However, the PSU's also snap into a little clip. If the clip gets in the way, I"d just take some plyers to it and rip it out. There ARE four screws holding it in on the back as well.

And you are sure that its Mini-tower right? The 755 comes in three sizes with the mini-tower being the largest.

Overclocking on a Dell bios? Unlikely. I've heard of a few people hacking earlier bios' from Dell, but nothing on this one.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=31794&stc=1&d=1212839891

PlayerZen14
06-07-08, 08:13 AM
yep, im getting the mini tower version. i heard that the 9600gt is 9" long, just like the 8800gt, so it should JUST fit into the optiplex. my main concern is now the psu. will i actually be able to properly install it and will its connectors work with the components? also, if the cpu cooling is poor, i might consider buying a third party cooler which i hope would fit. thanks Q for your help now ive got a good idea of what the inside looks like :D

Q
06-07-08, 08:23 AM
yep, im getting the mini tower version. i heard that the 9600gt is 9" long, just like the 8800gt, so it should JUST fit into the optiplex. my main concern is now the psu. will i actually be able to properly install it and will its connectors work with the components? also, if the cpu cooling is poor, i might consider buying a third party cooler which i hope would fit. thanks Q for your help now ive got a good idea of what the inside looks like :D

The PSU will be fine connector wise. Dell hasn't used anything really proprietary (connection wise) in years. Plain molex, sata, 24-pin, 4-pin, etc.

You could probably do a 3rd party cooler on the CPU with a bit of case modding, but I think it will be fine as is. I'd just worry about the exhaust.

sharvin
06-07-08, 10:15 AM
the thing is everything is the other way around so the cooler on the card actually is on the top so the big shroud blocks you from having a big card my 8600GT barely fits in my dimension 5150 and it looks exactly the same. also you cant take the black shroud off around the cpu because its a part of the heatsink.

Tr1cK
06-07-08, 01:19 PM
http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/dell/

PlayerZen14
06-09-08, 12:33 AM
the thing is everything is the other way around so the cooler on the card actually is on the top so the big shroud blocks you from having a big card my 8600GT barely fits in my dimension 5150 and it looks exactly the same. also you cant take the black shroud off around the cpu because its a part of the heatsink.

according to your sig, youve managed to OC your 8600gt in your dell. have you changed your motherboard or have you actually managed to overclock your 8600gt on the dell motherboard? :confused:

PlayerZen14
06-13-08, 10:38 PM
i just did some research and it seems that the optiplex 755 uses a btx motherboard, which is why the motherboard is mounted on the opposite side as compared to normal atx cases. this also means that my graphics card will face upwards instead of downwards :(, AND the case will only support single slot cards because of that stupid black cpu heatsink shroud blocking the way, as well as blocking the airflow from a longer gfx.

apparently, standard atx PSUs will not be supported because the motherboard is a btx. i would need to get a btx power supply in order to power it properly.

i really hope im wrong, i really do :(. please tell me im wrong :p

Tr1cK
06-14-08, 11:42 AM
I bet you didn't even look at the link I gave you. Optiplex 755 is listed as supported.

mullet
06-14-08, 12:54 PM
I bet you didn't even look at the link I gave you. Optiplex 755 is listed as supported.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make um drink. :D

PlayerZen14
06-14-08, 11:25 PM
thanks for the link Tr1ck, i did look, but it wouldnt be the best idea to buy them. simply because the cost of shipping to HK would be almost as expensive as the psu itself...

i heard a standard atx psu will work in the more recent dell computers anyway :D