PDA

View Full Version : Daniel_k call it quits after 2nd letter from Creative

walterman
06-07-08, 09:39 PM
http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&thread.id=31341&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

UPDATE1:

I've received another cease and desist e-mail.

I'm done with Creative, enough is enough.

Don't even bother asking me for the files.

Unfortunately, the situation did not change for us.

They did say an updated Audigy driver would eventually be released, but don't be optimistic about it (their priority is the launch of X-Fi 2).

What I can say for sure is the features I've enabled will not be made available in an official driver update.

Although I still have my doubts, they've said I would not be threatened if I provided patches instead of the actual binaries, because of licensed technologies built into them (Dolby/DTS).

While this could even be true, most of the disabled features are Creative's own technologies, which means they've disabled them on their own choice.

That's funny when people think you are an idiot.

They were after me and, on a chat session, they asked me what I'd like from them, as if I were expecting something.

They've promised me a free X-Fi 2, but I told them it was not necessary, because I was getting a couple of cards from other companies that contacted me.

Well, at least they are getting flammed all over the web and they are certainly mad about it and I could feel it while chatting with them. That is an enough reward for my hard work.

I'm not releasing a patch to enable DDL on any X-Fi neither Crystalizer for Audigy because, as they've pointed out to me, providing an alternative for their customers is good for them and increase their sales, specially when someone is doing it for free. Given the current situation, I cannot let this happen, as people get used to this and still buy Creative products.

Remember, while they say that 3rd parties are ok to provide workarounds, it is Creative's job to provide official driver/software updates.

I just hope their competitor companies do something about it.

And I really hope people don't forget this.

Thank you very much for your support and your donations.

Best regards,

Daniel Kawakami

mullet
06-08-08, 04:27 AM
Good for him, just back away and let creative sink. What a ****ty company. Onboard sound FTW.

stncttr908
06-08-08, 12:27 PM
I've bought my last creative card.

Mr Bigman
06-08-08, 01:58 PM
How is one person that smart to made or enable features on a soundcard?

Its like the omega guy who does his own drivers.

These people must be pretty bright people or smart enough to do it.

Oh well let it go and just keep up the work i guess cuz their getting sue happy like most other companies these days, its the culture.

DeusGear
06-08-08, 01:58 PM
I've bought my last creative card.
Agreed. My next card will be Xonar.

OldOfEvil
06-08-08, 02:28 PM
I'd like to see nvidia give Soundstorm another go.

marqmajere
06-08-08, 02:30 PM
I'd like to see nvidia give Soundstorm another go.

Yes! Thank you! :)

Toss3
06-08-08, 02:42 PM
Yes! Thank you! :)
The 4870 comes with an integrated realtek(no better at providing drivers than creative) sound chip so sound cards could soon become a thing of the past! (nana2)

bacon12
06-08-08, 03:06 PM
I am so glad I went with a Xonar D2 instead of anything creative makes. I don't care how good they are, they won' t be getting my money.

nekrosoft13
06-08-08, 03:40 PM

Oh well let it go and just keep up the work i guess cuz their getting sue happy like most other companies these days, its the culture.

what are you talking about again, they don't make **** by them self

Medion
06-08-08, 05:07 PM

All Omega did was take a bunch of driver releases, pick certain files from each, and add some registry edits. Example, using Catalyst 4.8 with the OpenGL driver from 4.5, or something like that.

As for Daniel K, he just undid Creative's ****. Creative intentionally disabled certain features in Vista for Audigy/X-Fi cards. Daniel took portion of the working (I use that term loosely for Creative's) drivers, and incorporated them into the Vista drivers, to re-enable these features.

Eliminator
06-08-08, 05:22 PM
im still with my audigy 2 zs and it will be my last creative product... they only released 1 driver for vista and it pretty much makes the card no better than onboard crap.... the last xp driver is ancient

AngelGraves13
06-09-08, 12:33 AM
Who really even cares anymore? The new beta drivers officially by Creative add all the features that the guy was working on anyways. Creative saw that he was right and have changed their act around. I'm not saying it's a total 180, but the quality of drivers and features offered keeps improving.

breathemetal
06-09-08, 12:36 AM
my next rig will be a notebook anyways, and ill stay that way for 4 or so years. yay for college. -_- so idc about soundcards anymore.

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 12:52 AM
Who really even cares anymore? The new beta drivers officially by Creative add all the features that the guy was working on anyways. Creative saw that he was right and have changed their act around. I'm not saying it's a total 180, but the quality of drivers and features offered keeps improving.

people just love to bitch for what ever reason.

creative card never gave me any trouble

AngelGraves13
06-09-08, 12:53 AM
The X-Fi is still the best sound card I've ever bought. Still no reason to get anything else!

ragejg
06-09-08, 01:42 AM
Wait, what's the problem with an Audigy in Vista? Heck, I have a gimped Audigy SE (apparently does a buncha stuff in software that true audigys do in HW) and it works fine for me...

But...

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz FTW. I have one in my desk machine and even with using the ancient XP driver in Vista it works great.

Medion
06-09-08, 09:01 AM

Actually, the beta driver destroys some features, and the ones they did enable only work in certain circumstances, such as only working in Vista 32 while running Creative's Beta Media player.

Also, after Daniel K released his drivers, one of the Creative head honchos posted on the forums claiming that they have the right to disable features if they want, because it helps build demand for their new card.

When you think about it, the "X-Fi" 2 lower end model is the same thing as the current X-Fi, only it comes with an EMI shield, and all of the features enabled that were just disabled in the current X-Fi. Go ahead and buy it if you want, I'm sure Creative will eventually lock that one out too. I'm done with them.

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 09:08 AM
Actually, the beta driver destroys some features, and the ones they did enable only work in certain circumstances, such as only working in Vista 32 while running Creative's Beta Media player.

Only feature that was temporary disabled in current beta driver is CMSS®-3D. Why use plural. CMSS-3D will be back once drivers go final.

And only thing that works in 32bit windows and not in 64bit is DVD-Audio acceleration.

Making to big of a deal out of this.

malachi1313
06-09-08, 10:16 AM
Wait, what's the problem with an Audigy in Vista? Heck, I have a gimped Audigy SE (apparently does a buncha stuff in software that true audigys do in HW) and it works fine for me...

But...

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz FTW. I have one in my desk machine and even with using the ancient XP driver in Vista it works great.

If Turtlebeach would get out of the dark ages concerning 64bit my montego ddl would be installed in my machine. How lame is it that they wont support 64bit?

jass
06-10-08, 10:53 AM
The letter to Daniel_K was a hoax:
http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=33034#M33034

Daniel noted that himself in the comments on the "no more goat soup" blog
http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/creative-hound-daniel_k-again/