PDA

View Full Version : Rumor mill: BluRay on the 360 (again)

Lyme
06-08-08, 02:17 PM
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/06/08/ms-to-release-blu-ray-drive-on-monday/

Tipster JJ writes:

‘ve got a close friend who works at Microsoft, previously with the HD-DVD division and now in the E&D division (Xbox, zune).

I’m told MS will upstage Apple with a Monday 9am PDT announcement (1 hour
before WWDC) via press release that the Xbox 360 will get Blu-Ray before
Christmas. Price was “under the current Elite”, but i could get any more
details.

Could this be the mysterious company rumored to be launching something before WWDC?

At least we will not have to wait long to see if this incarnation is true or not.

Bearclaw
06-08-08, 10:38 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't make a version with Blu-Ray. It would be a massive failure not to.

Zapablast05
06-08-08, 10:50 PM
Ok hold on, so the people with a current Xbox360 wont get a blu-ray attachment, it's only going to be built in?

Bearclaw
06-08-08, 10:55 PM
Ok hold on, so the people with a current Xbox360 wont get a blu-ray attachment, it's only going to be built in?

I would bet they would make an add on and start the production of the built in models.

If they didn't produce an add on I bet they would offer some sort of upgrade.

nekrosoft13
06-08-08, 11:47 PM

its good business model trying to get everyone to re-buy the console.

Lyme
06-09-08, 12:07 AM

Unlike Sony, Microsoft would get raised for doing that. However, it may happen all the same. I'm simply curious if it is true this time around.

LurkerLito
06-09-08, 09:05 AM
The only reason MS would add BR to the 360 is because they fear Sony's increasing install base and home media hub reputation. There are more than a few people that have bought PS3s as a BR only player but they are all counted as PS3 users even if they don't play games. By adding a BR player to the 360 MS effectively can say you don't have to buy a PS3 for a BR player you can buy our 360 instead and hope to slow some of Sony's growing install base. What remains to be seen is how much will it cost. If MS can hold their premium version with BR at $299 then they might actually have many people consider them as the BR player of choice but they would have to at the very least support all the same HD audio codecs as the PS3 and they'd have to significantly reduce the noise of the 360 system for it to work. By releasing a BR 360 MS would have a very solid media hub like appliance with Live's current offerings + their netflix deal.

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 09:14 AM
The only reason MS would add BR to the 360 is because they fear Sony's increasing install base and home media hub reputation. There are more than a few people that have bought PS3s as a BR only player but they are all counted as PS3 users even if they don't play games. By adding a BR player to the 360 MS effectively can say you don't have to buy a PS3 for a BR player you can buy our 360 instead and hope to slow some of Sony's growing install base. What remains to be seen is how much will it cost. If MS can hold their premium version with BR at $299 then they might actually have many people consider them as the BR player of choice but they would have to at the very least support all the same HD audio codecs as the PS3 and they'd have to significantly reduce the noise of the 360 system for it to work. By releasing a BR 360 MS would have a very solid media hub like appliance with Live's current offerings + their netflix deal.

that is very true, i will soon join those people, i really want BR player

Bman212121
06-09-08, 12:58 PM
So where is the big announcement?

Zapablast05
06-09-08, 10:08 PM
I would bet they would make an add on and start the production of the built in models.

If they didn't produce an add on I bet they would offer some sort of upgrade.

Some sort of "Step-Up" like program would really help.

But the bad thing about that is that the majority of the population of console owners have a 360, that would mean bad business because I know I wouldn't wanna spend another $370 on a console. They should offer an upgrade how failclaw mentioned or release the add on first, or both the add on and the upgrade.

Lyme
06-10-08, 12:29 AM
So where is the big announcement?

It is likely the banging of the rumor drum again.