PDA

View Full Version : Kojima pokes fun at X360 (possible spoiler)

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
06-08-08, 06:43 PM
Seems like Kojima isn't a fan of the X360... especially all those rumors regarding MGS4 coming to it. Here's his take on what would happen if MGS4 was ported to X360...

Don't watch if you don't want the joke spoiled for you ingame...

hjR6cUnjJss

Absolution
06-08-08, 06:49 PM
i lol'ed

sytaylor
06-08-08, 07:50 PM
Umm. Not funny, but it at least makes a reasonable point.

Marvel_us
06-08-08, 09:17 PM
Lol, "Oh wait! We're on PS3!"

Zapablast05
06-08-08, 09:51 PM
Aww, video removed...

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Ltd."

Lyme
06-08-08, 11:06 PM
The millions of comments have started on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/5014400/metal-gear-solid-4-dvd-humor-spoiler-alert

The best one so far mentions how it would be quicker to swap dvd's than it is to do the install between large cutscenes.

|MaguS|
06-08-08, 11:32 PM
The millions of comments have started on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/5014400/metal-gear-solid-4-dvd-humor-spoiler-alert

The best one so far mentions how it would be quicker to swap dvd's than it is to do the install between large cutscenes.

I rather have 2 installs then 4 discs with lower quality audio and far more loading time...

Lyme
06-08-08, 11:49 PM
I rather have 2 installs then 4 discs with lower quality audio and far more loading time...

Given the the 360 dvd drive has a significantly faster data transfer speed than the ps3 bluray drive, you wouldn't have to load anything on the hd at all. As for lower quality audio, stop being a wanker.

NarcissistZero
06-09-08, 12:15 AM
Given the the 360 dvd drive has a significantly faster data transfer speed than the ps3 bluray drive, you wouldn't have to load anything on the hd at all. As for lower quality audio, stop being a wanker.

I think his point was that installed games on PS3 tend to have much faster load times... and silly me, but I think uncompressed audio is a GOOD thing, not something which causes one to be a "wanker."

I think the clip is funny... the really funny thing though is that nowhere in it does it say anything negative about the 360, it simply praises the ability to fit more on the BD... which could just as easily be a comment on how the PS3 is superior to... DUN DUN DUN... the PS2, where the last MGS came out, and where 4 would have if made a couple years earlier.

This whole "my console is better than yours!" thing is SOOOOOO f'in' stupid.

EciDemon
06-09-08, 03:47 AM
I think this is a reference to MGS1, that came on two discs, the remake on the GC did too.
so I dont think it's there to make fun of the 360, but then again who knows..

Ninja Prime
06-09-08, 12:14 PM
I think uncompressed audio is a GOOD thing, not something which causes one to be a "wanker."

That's so much crap. Modern audio compression is so good that the difference between compressed and uncompressed audio is practically unnoticeable. It takes a $5000 audio system to even begin to tell any difference and even then you actually have to try to notice a difference. At which point you're not actually listening to anything, because you're trying too hard.

Uncompressed audio is a BS bragging rights gimmick made-up to sell new audio hardware, because audio tech had already reached its apex. All it does is slow down loads, take up bandwidth, and take up space.

Mr. Hunt
06-09-08, 12:20 PM
That's so much crap. Modern audio compression is so good that the difference between compressed and uncompressed audio is practically unnoticeable. It takes a $5000 audio system to even begin to tell any difference and even then you actually have to try to notice a difference. At which point you're not actually listening to anything, because you're trying too hard.

Uncompressed audio is a BS bragging rights gimmick made-up to sell new audio hardware, because audio tech had already reached its apex. All it does is slow down loads, take up bandwidth, and take up space.

So you can't hear the difference from your TV speakers, so it is a gimmick? Some of us have an actual home theater system that we enjoy getting the benefit of. Why don't we just stick to Mono tracks also? Who can actually tell the difference between stereo and mono? Honestly? Freaking wankers.

Tr1cK
06-09-08, 12:31 PM
All this fanboy **** has gotten really old.

OldOfEvil
06-09-08, 12:46 PM
I think this is a reference to MGS1, that came on two discs, the remake on the GC did too.
so I dont think it's there to make fun of the 360, but then again who knows..

It is a reference to MGS. Magus is just a tool.

MustangSVT
06-09-08, 01:45 PM
So you can't hear the difference from your TV speakers, so it is a gimmick? Some of us have an actual home theater system that we enjoy getting the benefit of. Why don't we just stick to Mono tracks also? Who can actually tell the difference between stereo and mono? Honestly? Freaking wankers.
I can barely hear a difference between a good DTS track and those Dolby TrueHD tracks on some HD-DVDs. Why did they have to put uncompressed audio when they could just have the same quality with like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, or get like 95% of the quality with like regular DTS. And yes I do have a good speaker set and proper receiver and connections and all that.

Ninjaman09
06-09-08, 02:14 PM

Uncompressed audio sounds exactly the same as compressed audio to the untrained ear and is equally enjoyable. Audiophiles are the only people who know or care about the difference. I've heard plenty of home theater setups and unless you've spent a great deal of money and have a trained ear I guarantee you will not know the difference between a 192kbps AAC file and a FLAC file, especially in the context of a video game.

QFT

MustangSVT
06-09-08, 02:25 PM
Uncompressed audio sounds exactly the same as compressed audio to the untrained ear and is equally enjoyable. Audiophiles are the only people who know or care about the difference. I've heard plenty of home theater setups and unless you've spent a great deal of money and have a trained ear I guarantee you will not know the difference between a 192kbps AAC file and a FLAC file, especially in the context of a video game.

QFT
I can hear some difference in clarity at higher volumes between like a 256-320kbps MP3 and a FLAC file.

What I find dumb is how the MGS people tout that they need all that space, when they could just use FLAC or TrueHD (lossless) instead of PCM surround.

Absolution
06-09-08, 02:42 PM
uncompressed audio is a joke, compressed audio is always better than compressed except for it maybe uses more cpu cycles

on the other hand, lossless versus lossy ... well, i think that's what you were getting at - but lossless is always better imo, i haven't ripped anything in mp3's for quite some time, all flac for me

LORD-eX-Bu
06-09-08, 08:54 PM
so did you just contradict yourself? :headexplode:

Retrolock
06-09-08, 09:57 PM
Is Kojima a big as a fanboy as Magus?

:p

Lyme
06-09-08, 11:26 PM

Lossless compressed audio sounds exactly the same as uncompressed audio, and takes up significantly less space. Your ears cannot tell the difference, because there isn't one.

MustangSVT
06-10-08, 12:01 AM
so did you just contradict yourself? :headexplode:

I believe that MGS4 has uncompressed as in PCM. What's the point in that when you can have lossless with TrueHD or FLAC and take up like half the space? Even then however only like 1% of people who play the game (actually less than that) will have the system for it. How many folks do you know with $1500+ audio systems and with a reasonably good A/V receiver? You can probably count on one hand if any. So then the point is, why even bother with all of this when you can just put like 1.5mbit DTS, get sound quality that everyone will find more than acceptable? The only reason they put uncompressed audio is because either
a) too lazy to compress it
b) paid by Sony to tout the capability of Blu-Ray
c) had nothing better to do than to come up with ways to make use of all that space

Which brings me to my main point, this game doesn't really need uncompressed audio. Yes it's pretty "cool" feature, but certainly not the next coming of jesus. :o

Ninja Prime
06-10-08, 12:06 AM

It takes more than a "home theater system" to hear the difference, wanker. It takes $4k in speakers and a $1k reciever, which accounts for about .001% of the market. Those 10 people that actually have them will certainly brag it up though. Even then, to actually hear the difference you have to be trying to hard.

In a blind test, in something like a game(which is what this is about anyway), I'd put $1000 down that no one can accurately tell the difference.

The real thing to poke fun at here is Kojima's horrible programming. What kind of dumbass needs 50GB to make a 8-10 hour game. A dumbass who fills it with 4 hours of cutscenes and 4 hours of campy uncompressed dialogue.

Feel free to enjoy your 3 minute installs every 30 min though.

EciDemon
06-10-08, 06:47 AM
Huh, the game uses uncompressed surround sound ?
seems like a waste if you ask me
But it still features normal Dolby digital and DTS right ?, else im screwed.

Mr. Hunt
06-10-08, 07:35 AM
Lossless compressed audio sounds exactly the same as uncompressed audio, and takes up significantly less space. Your ears cannot tell the difference, because there isn't one.

I was talking about lossy vs uncompressed... Can games even use something like DTS-HD-MA or TrueHD? Because I thought the way it worked with Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs, was that it only saved space because PCM tracks were just max bitrate always, and the lossless formats gave the bandwidth when needed, which would be what a game would be doing anyway, at least... that was my understanding of it.