PDA

View Full Version : eetimes truth about the 360 recall

Lyme
06-10-08, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't call it a 'recall' because nothing was recalled, but we all know what this is referring to.

EE Times: Latest News

The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall

Junko Yoshida
EE Times
(06/09/2008 8:52 PM EDT)

ANAHEIM, Calif. — When Microsoft Corp. announced a mammoth global recall of its Xbox 360 a year ago, the software giant never disclosed the exact source of the game console's heat problem that led to the fiasco.

Now, in an unlikely venue at Design Automation Conference here, Bryan Lewis, research vice president and chief analyst at Gartner, disclosed that the problem started in a graphic chip. Lewis offered this offhand revelation while discussing the changing ASIC and ASSP landscape for his DAC audience.

The Xbox 360 recall a year ago happened because "Microsoft wanted to avoid an ASIC vendor," said Lewis. Microsoft designed the graphic chip on its own, cut a traditional ASIC vendor out of the process and went straight to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd., he explained.

But in the end, by going cheap--hoping to save tens of millions of dollars in ASIC design costs, Microsoft ended up paying more than $1 billion for its Xbox 360 recall.

To fix the problem, Microsoft went back to an unnamed ASIC vendor based in the United States and redesigned the chip, Lewis added. (Based on a previous report, the ASIC vendor is most likely the former ATI Technologies, now part of AMD.)

hit the link for the full article http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=51TYZYXYRWUZUQSNDLSCK HA?articleID=208403010

JigenD
06-10-08, 08:44 PM
"But in the end, by going cheap--hoping to save tens of millions of dollars in ASIC design costs, Microsoft ended up paying more than $1 billion for its Xbox 360 recall."

That is true in many ways. Think about how many people skipped 360 because of the RROD 'hype'. It's not just how much they had to pay to repair systems under warranty.

Lyme
06-10-08, 09:00 PM
I had always wondered what was causing the issue, and this seems plausible enough.

bacon12
06-10-08, 09:04 PM
So it is an AIT chip or at least designed my ATI?

Lyme
06-10-08, 09:18 PM
So it is an AIT chip or at least designed my ATI?

The article would imply that MS licensed the IP and some designs for ATI, then produced their own design from those sources. Because the MS engineers lacked the hands on experience doing this, their design was somewhat flawed and has caused the RROD problem. Upon realizing this MS went back to ATI and had them redesign the gpu, of which is now in production.

That is speculation based upon the article.

npras42
06-11-08, 03:18 AM
I don't understand, before teh 360 came out I saw interviews and stuff with ATI guys talking about 'designing a GPU for the 360'. It would be very foolish for MS to license ATI's IP and design their own...

Q
06-11-08, 06:14 AM
The ONLY reason I bought a PS3 instead of a 360 is because of the RROD.

Badboy_12345
06-11-08, 06:18 AM
I dont get this.. ATI was desgning the chip from the start.

ATI was talking about the chip way before xbox360 even got released.

And didnt one of the xbox360 design team say that it was because the cooling was flawed and they didnt want to invest in more expensive one?

Ninja Prime
06-11-08, 07:22 AM
I dont get this.. ATI was desgning the chip from the start.

ATI was talking about the chip way before xbox360 even got released.

And didnt one of the xbox360 design team say that it was because the cooling was flawed and they didnt want to invest in more expensive one?

ATI designed the chip. Microsoft wanted to make more money and avoid the problems they had with nivida on xbox so, all they had ATI do is design the chip, then they gave that to Microsoft for them to figure out manufacturing, cooling, ect.

Normally, ATI would make the chip, make the cooling, ect. but Microsoft wanted to cut out the middle man and do it themselves. Not being a chip maker or major hardware maker, they didn't do it right appearantly.

Tygerwoody
06-11-08, 12:08 PM
i'll never buy an xbox360 due to fear of RRD. I'm not fooling with that. I'd rather have a system that works.

crainger
06-11-08, 05:59 PM
Like the system in your sig?

That's a hot system. Can I be your friend Tyger? vim

npras42
06-11-08, 06:41 PM
ATI designed the chip. Microsoft wanted to make more money and avoid the problems they had with nivida on xbox so, all they had ATI do is design the chip, then they gave that to Microsoft for them to figure out manufacturing, cooling, ect.

Normally, ATI would make the chip, make the cooling, ect. but Microsoft wanted to cut out the middle man and do it themselves. Not being a chip maker or major hardware maker, they didn't do it right appearantly.

That explanation makes sense, thanks. That article kinda makes it sound like MS designed the chip almost entirely by itself using bits'n'pieces of ATI tech.

Mathesar
06-14-08, 10:05 AM
i'll never buy an xbox360 due to fear of RRD. I'm not fooling with that. I'd rather have a system that works.

My launch 360 from nov 2005 still works fine and it gets used heavily.

Guess I got lucky.