PDA

View Full Version : 8800gts to 32inch non-hd tv problems

zarlaan
06-12-08, 12:41 AM
Hello,

I'm having a problem getting my JVC 32inc non-hdtv to be recognized properly in the Nvidia control panel. I used to have the TV connected using just a standard monster S-Video cable and had no problems at all with any resolution settings etc.

Now that my S-Video cable has gone bad and I was able to buy a 20ft Component video cable for just a few bucks and am using that cable along with the S-video to component dongle that came with my BFG card. I'm having problems with the Nvidia control panel wanting to see my TV as an HDTV. The problem with this is the only setting that will show up on my TV is if its set at 720x480 and an 480i HD signal. If i try to change either of these settings I get no picture on the TV. Again when I was using just an S-Video cable I could go all the way down to 640x480 up to 1027x768 no problem.

Is it just a design flaw with the card only allowing HDTV settings when using component instead of S-Video? I can't even get custom resolutions to respond so any help would be greatly appreciated.

zarlaan
06-12-08, 07:19 PM
Does anybody know why you can select any resolution using an S-Video cable and are limited to only 720x480 using component video on a standard definition TV?

:headexplode:

sharangad
06-13-08, 04:29 PM
Does anybody know why you can select any resolution using an S-Video cable and are limited to only 720x480 using component video on a standard definition TV?

:headexplode:

You can't select any resolution on S-Video, just 640x480, 720x480, 720x576, 800x600, 1024x768. There is a scaler built into the video output.

Component usually runs only at 720x480 (480i) or 720x576 (576i) at SD resolutions. ATi cards from the Radeon X1k series and upwards have a hardware scaler which also works with the component output. nVidia currently don't have this.

However the ATi scaler has some issues or at least did with the X1k series. Whenever the resolution changed the entire machine would freeze for around a minute. In the middle of a game whenever FMV playback occured at 640x480 the machine would lockup before video playback and then again to switch back to the game resolution.

Also the ATi solution had motion artefacts (not to be confused with their over aggressive video noise reduction, which is another issue even on their latest and greatest cards) because of their Xilleon scaler.

blackwaves_2000
06-29-08, 11:37 AM
I have the SAME problem!!! My notebook does just fine. But my desktop see the TV for a second and then drops it. I did find turning off my TV, and then the PC reconized it, I setup everything and then turned the TV ON and everything work okay. Still couldnt change resolutions though.