PDA

View Full Version : ***Official Metal Gear Solid 4 Thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

|MaguS|
06-12-08, 01:35 PM
So those who have the game already, share your thoughts with us who are stuck at work with the game sitting on their desk. BTW It's interesting that they care so much for the story that the Making of Blu-Ray has a spoiler warning on it...

Lalander
06-12-08, 01:56 PM
I have played about 45 minutes of the game so far and I really, really like it.

I have not played any of the other Metal Gear games (the PS3 is my first console), but I do not think that this will prevent me from liking the game as the story progresses because I did prepare myself by watching the Metal Gear Retrospective on Gametrailers.com.

NaitoSan
06-12-08, 02:43 PM
I just checked my order, it appears it's on the way so I might be getting it today. Yay!

tornadog
06-12-08, 03:02 PM
I went by my local blockbuster while going home for lunch and rented a copy. Managed about 30 minutes in the game. I actually got to use the controller for maybe 5 minutes. This is going back tomorrow after I brag before my coworkers who waited outside bestbuy at midnight

LiquidX
06-12-08, 04:19 PM
I'm catching up on a retrospect of the past games before playing it because as much as I love the series I never really come away grasping, much less remembering much of the the story after beating any of them.

There are no spoilers in the retrospects but I have only watched from 1-5 so far.
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html

Or there is this if some would rather read and just get the core of the story.
http://www.joystiq.com/photos/mgs4-need-to-know/855739/

LORD-eX-Bu
06-12-08, 04:24 PM
game is awesome, must go back to playing it, bye :lol:

Uberpwnage
06-12-08, 04:56 PM
I'm enjoying it too, and haven't played the others either. I think it's running in 1080p? That's what my TV thinks, some parts look like it, but others don't. Either way, probably the best looking console game I've played, atleast for an action game. The sound is very good too, even on my crap sound system.

Ninja Prime
06-12-08, 05:13 PM
I'm enjoying it too, and haven't played the others either. I think it's running in 1080p? That's what my TV thinks, some parts look like it, but others don't. Either way, probably the best looking console game I've played, atleast for an action game. The sound is very good too, even on my crap sound system.

Its running at 1024 x 768 at 30fps with 2x temporal AA.

|MaguS|
06-12-08, 05:27 PM
Its running at 1024 x 768 at 30fps with 2x temporal AA.

Thought that was the MP portion of the game, have they confirmed the SP is also running at that resolution?

NM, Read the Beyond3D thread. Im still interested in how he goes on to determin these aspects. I mean how does he know what level of AA the game uses aswell as its FPS?

1024x768 isn't even an 16:9 resolution, i would imagine it would look really bad on a large screen.

Uberpwnage
06-12-08, 05:45 PM
I've been looking around on Google, and there seems to be conflicting opinions and evidence. Some people think the entire game runs at 1080p native, some think its upscaled from 720p, some think it isn't even upscaled, some think only the cutscenes are 1080p. Doesn't really matter that much, looks good enough IMO and it's fun.

3DBrad
06-12-08, 05:48 PM
LOL, so the game is a cinematic, with a few moments of gameplay here and there? :p

Severian126
06-12-08, 07:22 PM
Does it honestly matter what resolution the game runs at? If it looks good, it looks good.

Ninja Prime
06-12-08, 07:46 PM
Thought that was the MP portion of the game, have they confirmed the SP is also running at that resolution?

NM, Read the Beyond3D thread. Im still interested in how he goes on to determin these aspects. I mean how does he know what level of AA the game uses aswell as its FPS?

1024x768 isn't even an 16:9 resolution, i would imagine it would look really bad on a large screen.

Yeah, I'm not sure of their scaling for 16:9. They do an actual pixel count on a screen capture for the rez, the AA is determined by how it looks/works, the AA seems to turn off in cutscenes on quick movements, telltale sign of temporal AA, because it tends to blur things to hell on fast movement if you arent running at a really high framerate.

Nearly every game has a FPS counter built in for testing purposes, I'm sure they have it enabled. 30fps with a few dips here and there, nothing major.

|MaguS|
06-12-08, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure of their scaling for 16:9. They do an actual pixel count on a screen capture for the rez, the AA is determined by how it looks/works, the AA seems to turn off in cutscenes on quick movements, telltale sign of temporal AA, because it tends to blur things to hell on fast movement if you arent running at a really high framerate.

Nearly every game has a FPS counter built in for testing purposes, I'm sure they have it enabled. 30fps with a few dips here and there, nothing major.

How would you go on an enable it on a console? I have never seen a console game that can display the FPS on screen. Is he running a DevKit or something?

I still want to know how they take a 4:3 image and make it fit 16:9 without any distortion.

|MaguS|
06-12-08, 08:01 PM
LOL

Of the 7 friends on my PSN, 6 of them are playing MGS4.

Ninja Prime
06-12-08, 08:12 PM
How would you go on an enable it on a console? I have never seen a console game that can display the FPS on screen. Is he running a DevKit or something?

I still want to know how they take a 4:3 image and make it fit 16:9 without any distortion.

Here's the thread from Beyond3D that(mostly) tells you how they do it:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Does a better job explaining than I ever could.

Though theres about a million links to wade through to get it all. ;)

|MaguS|
06-12-08, 08:13 PM
WTF is with the intro's?!?! Kojima was on some good **** when developing this game...

Ninjaman09
06-12-08, 08:15 PM
Magus do you still not have the game?

NaitoSan
06-12-08, 08:30 PM
Whoo, my order has arrived. It's time to play!

Marvel_us
06-12-08, 08:43 PM
Wow this game has taken the series to another level. So much detail in the way the game world reacts toward things you do.

SH64
06-12-08, 08:47 PM
Here's the thread from Beyond3D that(mostly) tells you how they do it:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Does a better job explaining than I ever could.

Though theres about a million links to wade through to get it all. ;)
Very informative , thanks for the link :cool:

Destroy
06-12-08, 08:54 PM
Bought it on way home, tons on the shelf.

First and most importantly, IT'S ADULT!! No more stupid floating cheese wedges, no more dumb '?' or '!' that pop up over enemies heads and there are decent blood decals on ground when you shoot someone.

Graphics are only ok IMO, barely what I'd consider next gen. I dislike the heavy use of the piss filter, everything is so very mono color. Sure hope later areas have some actual color to them.

Gameplay is solid so far. <------ha, get it

Very nicely cinematic and stuff. Story easy enough to follow so far.

Like GTA4, it looks to be a worthy game of $60, which is unusual and welcomed quality finally.

Marvel_us
06-12-08, 08:58 PM
Not sure what setting you have but I see '!' and '?' over enemies heads.

Mr. Hunt
06-12-08, 09:06 PM
Greatest game ever.

That is all.

SH64
06-12-08, 09:11 PM
Not sure what setting you have but I see '!' and '?' over enemies heads.
Yep from the gameplay videos i've seen these are still there .. :o