PDA

View Full Version : Limbo of the Lost or Oblivion?

nekrosoft13
06-12-08, 04:21 PM
We here at GamePlasma are continually asked to review a bevy of different titles. Occasionally, we run across games from smaller developers that just blow us away with their new and creative ideas. Sometimes we even notice strange things about the games we play. This holds true especially in the case of Eric Franck, Staff Writer, and his attention to detail.

Eric was recently assigned a game developed by Majestic Studios titled "Limbo of the Lost." At first glance, this game appears to be your typical point and click adventure again. This time, however, something seemed oddly familiar to him. Eric, being the avid PC gamer that he is, noticed that there were some similiarties between Limbo of the Lost and The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

The first example of this can be seen in the screenshots from Oblivion and Limbo of the Lost below. Notice how everything is placed in exactly the same place and almost all of the textures are identical. In fact, the only real difference is the quality of the texture and overall graphical look. Even the portrait that can be seen under the stairs is exactly the same as the one that can be found in Oblivion. Also, take note of the placement of the rug in the middle of the floor and the placement of the stairways. These similarities lead to many questions. How rampant are situations like this in games that fall under the radar of the typical gaming crowd?

Bethesda, publisher of Oblivion, did not have a comment at the time of posting. Tri Synergy, publisher of Limbo of the Lost, also did not have any comments at this time. I can assure you, however, that GamePlasma will stay on top of this and notify you as details are released.

In the next set of images found below, you can see the placement of all the furniture is nearly identical to the placement of the furniture in Oblivion. Notice that the coat of arms on the wall shares the same exact textures as those found in Oblivion. Click the thumbnails for larger images.

CHECK OUT COMPARISION SHOTS ON THE SITE

http://www.gameplasma.com/limbo_of_the_lost_or_oblivion/

|MaguS|
06-12-08, 04:27 PM
I read that on Joystiq, its some of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Ambrose
06-12-08, 04:28 PM
No way that is a coincidence. Bethesda got their assets swiped.

CaptNKILL
06-12-08, 04:48 PM
Oh my god...

If this is real, these guys could go down as the most retarded game developers of all time...

:headexplode:

EDIT: LOL

This could be BS, but the wiki article says that there are screens straight out of a dozen other games and even movies. The publisher said that the game's production has been discontinued completely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_of_the_Lost

CaptNKILL
06-12-08, 04:57 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the screens ripped from other games were probably placeholders and the main artist got fired or quit, leaving everyone with graphics that they thought were final.

Its still the dumbest move I think I've ever seen...

How could you NOT recognize all of those?

SH64
06-12-08, 04:59 PM
Busted!!

never heard of that Limbo game though ..

shilk
06-12-08, 06:10 PM
No freaking way man. :eek:

I actually thought no one could be this stupid until I checked it.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8788/limbo1suxsh0.gif

This is an animation I made with the Limbo screenshot's border, and the header from the WoW forums. This can't be a coincidence.

They probably ceased development because they didn't want their asses to get sued to oblivion.

Har har.

wysiwyg
06-12-08, 06:11 PM
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=88495

Following up on the comment from Tri Synergy last night (story) comes their promised official statement about the discovery of areas in Limbo of the Lost that appear to be from other games (story). The gist is the same, though they now say they have made the decision to discontinue distribution of the game:

Sharon, MA, May 11th, 2008 – Tri Synergy, Inc. (www.trisynergy.com) would like to publish an official comment regarding recent comparisons of level design and artwork between Majestic Studios’ Limbo of the Lost and Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion/Eidos Interactive’s Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Tri Synergy is just as shocked as everyone else is by the recent screenshot comparisons. At no point during our dealings with Majestic Studios up until the point that the comparison was first publicly made by a third party did we have any knowledge of these similarities. Additionally, Tri Synergy will discontinue distribution of Limbo of the Lost in both retail and online outlets.

We have contacted the developer, Majestic, and are anxiously awaiting their response. As soon as we know more on this matter we will issue another statement.

the game has been on sale at amazon in uk from 07 by the looks of things

trailers on gamestrailers look lame too

more about it all-

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/limbo-of-the-lost-axed-amid-plagiarism-row

Limbo of the Lost axed over plagiarism row

Tri Synergy has discontinued distribution of Majestic's Limbo of the Lost amid claims that it plagiarised design elements from Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Eidos' Thief: Deadly Shadows.

The company released a statement saying that it was "shocked" by recent screenshot comparisons and that the game would no long be sold in retail stores or online. Accusations were also made that the game borrowed heavily from Diablo II, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Painkiller.

"Tri Synergy is just as shocked as everyone else is by the recent screenshot comparisons. At no point during our dealings with Majestic Studios up until the point that the comparison was first publicly made by a third party did we have any knowledge of these similarities," the company said in its statement.

"Additionally, Tri Synergy will discontinue distribution of Limbo of the Lost in both retail and online outlets. We have contacted the developer, Majestic, and are anxiously awaiting their response. As soon as we know more on this matter we will issue another statement."

i feel sorry for the person resposible they are obviously a one man band. but what they did is very lame. The game iteslf is made of static backgrounds stolen from the real time 3d worlds we know and love :headexplode:

nemecb
06-23-08, 11:27 AM
I missed this the first time around, but as I was clicking random links about it I ran across this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?page_id=1909 See, they weren't stealing because the Limbo of the Lost dude was actually in all of those games.:D

crainger
06-23-08, 06:01 PM
::rofl:

The Zork one was the best.