PDA

View Full Version : Official "I just got my GeForce GTX 260 or 280" thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

GeniusPr0
10-28-08, 07:17 PM
got my BF 260 and so far its not THAT big of an improvement from my 8800GTS SSC SP112

Tyr-Sog
10-28-08, 08:21 PM
got my BF 260 and so far its not THAT big of an improvement from my 8800GTS SSC SP112

No it's not. When I bought a brick and mortar evga 260(returned after having two make loud vibration noises) my innitial reaction was that I was pretty disapointed with the small performance over my overclocked 8800gts g92 with the 260 still at stock speeds. It starts to shine though if you OC but unfortunally with BFG's warranty OC'ing voids it(how would they know tho?). I'm OC my BFG regardless and I have mine at a comfy 666core/1458shader/1150memory. I can go higher but I don't want to stress it too much.

Also make sure yo uhave the cpu power behind it. If that q6600 isn't at 3.2+ crank it up. Where I think(and im no techy) it shines is at 19x12 with aa and af cranked. That's when it starts to pull away. Plus i think if you watch you'll be getting better average fps with less dips.

My justifing this cards is I sold my 8800 for $120 and got this one for $200 with far cry 2. So a cheap upgrade with a decrnt performance boost.

Tyr-Sog
10-28-08, 08:27 PM
I'm hoping there will be something to step up to in the next 3 months. :)

I'll even go to a gtx 280 if they drop to $300.

Tyr-Sog
10-28-08, 08:36 PM
BTW BFG owners.

The multi step registration process(what a hasstle compared to evga). When I forward my POP to them how long does it usually take for them to finish the registration? I"m hopeing quick, I want my farcry 2 lol. I forwared it to them late last night and it still says registration isn't complete. Kind of a lame process.

LurkerLito
10-28-08, 08:58 PM
BTW BFG owners.

The multi step registration process(what a hasstle compared to evga). When I forward my POP to them how long does it usually take for them to finish the registration? I"m hopeing quick, I want my farcry 2 lol. I forwared it to them late last night and it still says registration isn't complete. Kind of a lame process.

I'd like to know also. I want to make sure I get my Farcry 2 game also. I just got my card this afternoon and once it was installed, I did the registration.

I am a bit disappointed with BFG. I am not sure if the card is new, the box was shrinkwrapped but a bit crushed, not a big deal might have been due to shipping, but the Static bag was ripped which might have happened when the packed it, but there were multiple yellow stickers that were holding the static bag closed and the one below the one on top was ripped before I opened it. And lastly the serial number on the box is different than the one on the card. But so far the card seems to be running fine with no issues.

Tyr-Sog
10-28-08, 09:22 PM
I'd like to know also. I want to make sure I get my Farcry 2 game also. I just got my card this afternoon and once it was installed, I did the registration.

I am a bit disappointed with BFG. I am not sure if the card is new, the box was shrinkwrapped but a bit crushed, not a big deal might have been due to shipping, but the Static bag was ripped which might have happened when the packed it, but there were multiple yellow stickers that were holding the static bag closed and the one below the one on top was ripped before I opened it. And lastly the serial number on the box is different than the one on the card. But so far the card seems to be running fine with no issues.

Same here but not as bad as yours. I posted my concern over at rage 3d about the same issue with the bag and yellow stickers not to mention the generic looking box. Doesn't give a great first impression does it and almost feels like I just bought a generic off brand? I'd suspect that with all of these companies they recycle those step cards as new though, so I wouldn't be totally suprised. I tried to do a thorugh inspection to see if the card was finger printed up, looked at the screw places, I didn't see any visable wear marks so all seems good.. I always suspected that even with dell and there products, especially the lcds.

Yea, If I could go back I'd actually just pay a little more and get the evga again(although the 2 I tried had coil issues causes loud noises). IMO, evga just has a suberb system, great registration process, awsome warrenty, no hasstle step up, nice website with a decent forum, etc, etc.

Tyr-Sog
10-29-08, 05:26 PM
Just an FYI for you BFG guys. I called over to BFG and they said final registration takes about a week for whatever reason. Kind of a weird system but oh well. I'd like to also add that their phone service was excellent, very friendly.

scorpio1064
10-29-08, 05:39 PM
I received my BFG 260 gtx yesterday. Ordered off of BFG's store. Mine was the same way, box sealed but multiple stickers on the static bag. The top sticker said something along the line of sealed after qa inspection. It seems to be running fine though.
I did the registration through email and have not heard back yet. I'll update if I hear anything.

CaptNKILL
10-29-08, 06:02 PM
I just got my EVGA GTX 260. :D

Man this card is sweet looking. Its hard to even call them cards now since they are big heavy metal boxes. I love the heat sink design though. Looks efficient.

Tyr-Sog
10-29-08, 06:12 PM
Yea, when I first got my brick and mortar eVGA 260(had two, both returned) and opened it, I was like, no F'ing way is this fitting in my Antec Sonata III case. Sure enough I had to finagle it in and then it cleared by maybe a 1/4inch. Tight for sure.

They are sweeting looking cards. Would love to go sli if I had the mobo to do it but more importantly the xtra $$$ to do it. lol.

LurkerLito
10-29-08, 06:14 PM
Just FYI, I got my BFG registration email. It says expect the Far Cry 2 to be delivered in 2-3 weeks.

CaptNKILL
10-29-08, 09:30 PM
So far so good. This card seems pretty nice. :)

700/1403/1103 without even really trying. Crysis, The Witcher, and Fallout 3 all seem to run fine.

The Witcher doesn't seem to run much different, it still gets bogged down to the high 20s in the Trade Quarter but for some reason I actually GAIN 2 or 3fps when enabled 4x multisample transparency AA. I know my 8800 wouldn't have been able to do that. :p

The difference from my 8800GTX in Crysis is pretty noticeable though. At 1600x1200 with a mix of high and custom settings in DX9 I'm getting around 35-45fps at the first Korean base in the game and it feels extremely smooth. I was impressed at how much of an increase I got from the overclock too. I alt-tabbed out of the game, set my clocks to stock and was getting around 26fps. I alt tabbed back out, set the clocks to 700/1403/1103 and I was immediately getting around 32fps! That's a pretty huge increase for just a few mouse clicks.

The temps are pretty good as well. Around 75C under load.

qube
10-29-08, 09:44 PM
just got my gtx280 today it was a pain to install it my ultra is using the main pcie and its in my wcloop so i put it on the sec pcie and it dident find it after some reboats and driver installs it worked. Will put it in the first slot when i dismantle my loop in the weakend

Tyr-Sog
10-29-08, 10:43 PM
The temps are pretty good as well. Around 75C under load.

I have no idea why but this BFG seems to run 8-10c cooler then the 2 evga I tried. I'm usually around 65-68 with games. Hits 70 once in a great while. wonder if they're different coolers. Look the same from the outside.

edit: I take that back. I just downloaded Bioshock from steam and it certainly brings this card up to 73c. All my other games are HL2 and wow so they just must not stress it as much.

btw, 10 minutes in to bioshock and :drool:

CaptNKILL
10-30-08, 06:54 AM
I have no idea why but this BFG seems to run 8-10c cooler then the 2 evga I tried. I'm usually around 65-68 with games. Hits 70 once in a great while. wonder if they're different coolers. Look the same from the outside.

edit: I take that back. I just downloaded Bioshock from steam and it certainly brings this card up to 73c. All my other games are HL2 and wow so they just must not stress it as much.

btw, 10 minutes in to bioshock and :drool:

Do you have your card overclocked past its stock speed?

qube
10-30-08, 04:10 PM
my GeForce GTX 280 is stable at 730 core

scorpio1064
10-30-08, 04:13 PM
FYI update. Received confirmation on the Far Cry 2 bundle today. 2-3 week delivery :D

Tyr-Sog
10-30-08, 05:03 PM
I did also. :)

Picked up Bioshock last night though to hold me over. :D

scorpio1064
10-30-08, 05:09 PM
I re-installed Bioshock last night myself. Haven't played for some time. It's running pretty well!

CaptNKILL
10-30-08, 05:26 PM
Hmm I haven't received my Far Cry 2 confirmation yet.

When did you guys register? I just did last night. :p

scorpio1064
10-30-08, 05:33 PM
I registered 2 days ago. I sent mine in via email.

LurkerLito
10-30-08, 06:43 PM
It took them 24 hours or and change to get back to me with the confirmation email

Tyr-Sog
10-30-08, 06:55 PM
Hmm I haven't received my Far Cry 2 confirmation yet.

When did you guys register? I just did last night. :p

Did mine early Tuesday morning so a couple of days.

They said it could take up to a week. I'd imagine they got slammed with orders with these deals. The core 192 and it looks like the gtx 280 that was on sale are both sold out. So they're probably slammed.

One thing I don't understand is the step up program. I finally can step up with the warranty completion updated so I cna see the prices. The prices of the trade up though are insane. Might as well just by a new one and keep the old one. It looks like release prices lol.

Pixelsmack
10-31-08, 06:12 AM
LOVING IT! Just picked up a a GTX260-216 SC and now I'm running Crysis at VERY HIGH, 8x ansio, 4x FSAA(SS) and it's smooooooooth (1280x800). In fact I am running all my games maxed out now. And with 8x ansio and 4x FSAA(SS). It's amazing! Some at LCD native (1680x1050) and some at 1280x800.

I can't believe the upgrade this card is over my aging 8800GT!!!

Currently playing:
Crysis + (warhead)
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
Team Fortress 2
WoW
UT3
Bioshock
Race'07
GRID

Hybr1d
10-31-08, 01:06 PM
Finally got my new PSU so i could power my gtx260, upgraded from a 7600 so its a pretty amazing step up :P

having some issues with it getting pretty hot after a couple hours playing stalker, causing artifacting and fps drops :(