PDA

View Full Version : I am fking LIVID.

Capt. Picard
06-17-08, 09:13 AM
I bought some PC components for work (components for one PC and MB, CPU and RAM for another one) and built the thing just now. Intel MB G31 "Pearl Creek", Intel E7200 CPU ....

Guess what ... no display. :mad: Troubleshoot. Tried numerous RAM sticks, unplugged all the other components (HD, DVD, case fans etc. ... even tried the other CPU), made sure the little P4 connector is secured.

Ok. Try the other mobo meant for another computer.

Guess what ... no display. :mad: :fu: (po) goes through the same troubleshooting procedure. No go. Even tried it in another part off the building (maybe it's the power outlets ... yeah right, 50 computers are running in the room)

So it's both motherboards that are screwed.

And I know it's nothing I did. I've built hundreds of PCs. Everthing was done perfectly. And now my admin people are pissed because I told them they'd get their computer tomorrow. Instead I now have to take it back and the shop must order new ones.

Just ranting.

nekrosoft13
06-17-08, 09:27 AM
you sure you had not created a short somewhere?

SLippe
06-17-08, 09:46 AM
Maybe the display is bad.

*runs

Capt. Picard
06-17-08, 10:07 AM
you sure you had not created a short somewhere?

How could I have done that?

Revs
06-17-08, 10:13 AM
Maybe the display is bad.

*runs

Or the monitor cable

*runs*

SLippe
06-17-08, 10:47 AM
How could I have done that?

Maybe one of the MB screws is touching the side of the case. Not sure, but I've done it before, somehow, but I didn't know it until I had static in me and touched the Power On button, which shocked me and fried my MB. That was a fun day. Check all the screws and cables and you might even "clear" the PSU.

grey_1
06-17-08, 07:42 PM
Take the mobo out of the case and attempt a boot. If it boots fine and you have video, I bet you have an extra standoff in there, or one that isn't aligned properly and is touching and shorting something on the back of the mobo.

Stoneyguy
06-17-08, 07:46 PM
Take the mobo out of the case and attempt a boot. If it boots fine and you have video, I bet you have an extra standoff in there, or one that isn't aligned properly and is touching and shorting something on the back of the mobo.

This one is wise. :wonder:

Starscream
06-18-08, 12:24 AM
http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dg31pr

What bios revision is on the boards? Is it new enough for those CPU's?

I'll be honest I can't read that page very well. lol

Taking the boards out of the cases and seeing if they post is a good idea, I would also try a different older CPU too and different power supplies.

Capt. Picard
06-18-08, 01:52 AM
http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dg31pr

What bios revision is on the boards? Is it new enough for those CPU's?

I'll be honest I can't read that page very well. lol

Taking the boards out of the cases and seeing if they post is a good idea, I would also try a different older CPU too and different power supplies.

Well, according to that link my motherboard (DG31PR - D97573-205) should work with the E7200 SLAVN