PDA

View Full Version : power supply = fried. help!

patrickjs89
06-17-08, 08:28 PM
This past Saturday, we had a pretty bad thunderstorm going on while I was at work. I came home to my computer and noticed it was on the boot screen telling me that it had failed the POST test, so I rebooted my computer and it came up to the windows vista log on screen. i logged in and my computer just suddenly turned off. i tried powering it back on, and this time it turned on after i held the power button for about 5 seconds or so, and then it just suddenly shut back off seconds later. then it didn't even turn on what so ever. i tried different power outlet/surge protector, and still nothing. i took my power supply out and took it over to a buddie's house to have it tested, and it was definitly a dead power supply.

What's my best option? Buy a new power supply? What are the chances that my motherboard didn't get shorted out, or any other part?

BCKator
06-18-08, 02:18 AM
I would try to, if possible, borrow a PSU and use it check out the rest of your system. I, for example, have several old good (but wimpy) PSUs that came in old cases that would be good enough to determine if anything else got damaged. If everything checks out OK, then go ahead and spring for something better if required.

patrickjs89
06-18-08, 03:32 PM
I can't, I'm the only person that I know of that would have computer parts, accessories etc. . . .