PDA

View Full Version : Falcon flew the coupe

jdspinna
06-18-08, 03:48 PM
RIP 360 with new falcon MB. Only 6 months old and had no symtoms. Yesterday started freezing, today red rings :(

JigenD
06-18-08, 03:50 PM
Yea I've heard of other Falcon's dying. You'd think MS would try some design change that could fix this stuff, even if it meant a nice quality HS or faster fans (the DVD drive is the noisiest part anyways).

My last 360 died just a few weeks ago, and they replaced it really fast (about 7 business days or so). It was my 3rd one to die. Supposedly now they're replacing the mobos with newer models and better chips.

jdspinna
06-18-08, 03:55 PM
Yea. Support call went very quickly. Just funny that I had no problems then BAM! dead console.

S.I.N
06-18-08, 04:05 PM
My friends Falcon died out of the box. Whats the build date on yours? I recently bought a new one which was made in January and its loud piece of ****.

JigenD
06-18-08, 04:14 PM
I was just doing some research on the new Opus 360 mobos. Supposedly they are basically Falcon mobos. I just checked mine by looking at the CPU HS and the inductor coils, and it's the same as a Falcon. Supposedly what MS really needs to do is improve the GPU, once they have that a 65nm things should start looking up.

LycosV
06-18-08, 06:38 PM
Yeah, the GPU is the problem. I'm shocked that they never jacked up the speed of the exhaust fans. All they'd have to do is run them at higher speed all the time. They could even do it through a firmware update, look at the 8800GT's.

jdspinna
06-18-08, 06:44 PM
mine was nov of 07.

Zapablast05
06-18-08, 09:53 PM
mine was nov of 07.

+1

Mine was Nov. 07.

I guess I'm giving my 360 another 6 months. So much for the Falcon being the savior against the RROD.

MS should stop fixing one thing at a time and just make a whole new PCB from scratch.

jAkUp
06-20-08, 12:36 AM
My 360 Elite died today :( I am trying the towel trick who knows what will happen :)

Bman212121
06-20-08, 10:13 AM
ouch. I thought they had most of those issues worked out now. :(

jdspinna
06-20-08, 10:20 AM
For some reason UPS rescheduled shipment of my RMA box. Won't be able to ship it back till next week. Boo!

Peoples-Agent
06-20-08, 01:28 PM
Ack! If mine dies out of warranty for a non RROD error no way in hell i'm buying another one. Horrible thought!

Quite strange now alot of people are hoping it's the RROD to strike them. lol

This console is a consumable.

jAkUp
06-20-08, 04:33 PM
lol the towel trick worked :) Played last night for maybe an hour or so with no issues.

six_storm
06-20-08, 04:56 PM
Wow that sucks! Guess if mine dies, I will sell it for scraps or something.

nekrosoft13
06-20-08, 05:00 PM
For some reason UPS rescheduled shipment of my RMA box. Won't be able to ship it back till next week. Boo!

two of my recent packages also got rescheduled.

supposed to get one package yesterday, it will arrive today, and package that supposed to be here today i will get on monday

UPS is really getting on my nerves recently

JigenD
06-20-08, 05:08 PM
Wow that sucks! Guess if mine dies, I will sell it for scraps or something.

You could try fixing it yourself if you're unwilling to get it repaired. There are various methods.

jdspinna
06-20-08, 11:25 PM
two of my recent packages also got rescheduled.

supposed to get one package yesterday, it will arrive today, and package that supposed to be here today i will get on monday

UPS is really getting on my nerves recently

At least they haven't lost it yet. That's happened to me a couple times with FED EX, UPS and USP.

Zapablast05
06-22-08, 05:39 AM
lol the towel trick worked :) Played last night for maybe an hour or so with no issues.

What's the towel trick? Is that where you wrap a towel around the 360 to heat it up?

Mathesar
06-22-08, 06:21 AM
I did the x-clamp fix on my out of warranty RROD 360 and its been working flawless for over a month so far, I also replaced the crappy stock GPU heatsink paste with Arctic silver 5.

crainger
06-22-08, 07:16 AM
I went looking for x-clamp fix vids, all the ones on youtube are missing. Is MS that bad they wont let people have a go at fixing things themselves? I mean the trick seems to work on 9 out of 10 dead xbox's.

Bman212121
06-22-08, 08:21 AM
What's the towel trick? Is that where you wrap a towel around the 360 to heat it up?

Yes. If I remember the problem correctly, all that is happening is that the solder is getting too hot on the board and it is causing one of the chips to come loose and lose a connection. If you wrap it in a towel and let it heat up sometimes it can remelt the solder and fix the placement of the chip.

six_storm
06-22-08, 11:53 AM
Yes. If I remember the problem correctly, all that is happening is that the solder is getting too hot on the board and it is causing one of the chips to come loose and lose a connection. If you wrap it in a towel and let it heat up sometimes it can remelt the solder and fix the placement of the chip.

Sorry, but this made me LOL.

ViN86
06-22-08, 12:31 PM

not quite melt the solder....

it's just a cold solder issue. console is cold, the metal contracts and the connection is broken. console is hot, the metal expands and the connection is made. that's why wrapping a towel around it fixes it.

typically, cold solder issues are not as prevalent as they are in the 360. lots of people get them on motherboards, but it's typically a very small percentage of the total sold. the percentage seen on the 360 is ridiculous. obviously a manufacturing problem.

Bman212121
06-22-08, 03:44 PM
Sorry, but this made me LOL.

See Vins reply. Close enough. :p I knew it had something to do with the solder.