PDA

View Full Version : Buying an OEM Hard Drive?

Ewhit
06-20-08, 10:56 AM
I'm wanting a second hard drive because my first one's full. I'm wanting to keep my first one. Do i need to do anything to the second hard drive to get it to work or can i just put it in and go straight to using it?

bob saget
06-20-08, 04:28 PM
well u need the power and sata cables, but you should have those from your mobo. Basicly what you get is the hard drive itself inna plastic baggy (at least thats how they sold the barracuda).

nekrosoft13
06-20-08, 04:54 PM
when you do plug it in (while PC is off) you need to initialize the HDD and then format it

Ewhit
07-03-08, 11:39 PM
How would i initialize it. i want it to be my second hard drive just for putting programs on. I want my OS to boot from my first hard drive.

LORD-eX-Bu
07-04-08, 12:07 AM
don't do it, satan himself gathers these drives from the depths of hell.

CaptNKILL
07-04-08, 12:17 AM
As long as you have a spare SATA cable, you shouldn't have any problems.

To initialize the drive after plugging it in, you can just go to the control panel - administrative tools - computer management - disk management and there will be a blank drive listed. Right click on it and initialize it. I can't remember if it automatically creates partitions, but if it doesn't, tell it to create a new primary partition and format it with NTFS.

You should be good to go after that. :)

I've never purchased a retail hard drive myself. I always buy them online and they are always OEM. Retail boxed drives are mainly sold at large chain stores like BestBuy or Wal-Mart and are usually significantly more expensive than OEM drives.