PDA

View Full Version : Stringer Says Restoring Sony TV, Games Profits Is Key

Lyme
06-20-08, 01:40 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=a5KY_KmOXF_I&refer=japan

Last month Sony predicted its games unit will post its first annual profit in three years after reducing the cost of making PlayStation 3s. Under Stringer, the PlayStation division lost $3.4 billion in the past two years after its flagship player was outsold by Nintendo Co.'s Wii. Chief Financial Officer Nobuyuki Oneda said in May Sony's TV business had a 73 billion yen ($678 million) loss in the year ended March 31.

I think they messed up the wording of the story, "will post its first annual profit in three years", makes it sound as through that division has another three years to go before posting a profit.

Otherwise, if I was a investor (which I'm not)
In the year ending March, 2009, 17 percent of Sony's net income will be allocated to dividend payments, while the ratio at Matsu****a and Sharp is 30.5 percent and 29 percent respectively, according to the companies' earnings statements.

17% in comparison to 29%, and 30.5%, blows when your investing for profits.

JigenD
06-20-08, 02:01 PM
MS already went through this process, which includes, among other things, not dropping your prices for historic amounts of time.

I'm going to eat some ****take mushrooms while sitting in the ****pit watching my mastu****a TV!

Ninja Prime
06-20-08, 03:15 PM
The problem with their TV division is they aren't better than any other company's TVs now, but they still are priced like they are. Come out with a better TV again and maybe someone will pay more for it. Or drop your price on TVs that are the same as the competition.

JigenD
06-20-08, 03:31 PM
The problem with their TV division is they aren't better than any other company's TVs now, but they still are priced like they are. Come out with a better TV again and maybe someone will pay more for it. Or drop your price on TVs that are the same as the competition.

Yea from what I hear, that's true. They're doing a lot of development on OLED tech, so when that becomes less expensive they can be a high quality TV maker again.

sytaylor
06-20-08, 04:17 PM
People just don't want to pay a premium for the Sony brand name any more. They've all owned a Playstation and a PS2, and see it as the cheap and cheerful gaming device, especially against the xbox, and previously the n64. Sony would do well being the best competitively priced product in the trenches with everyone else.

NaitoSan
06-20-08, 07:28 PM
I used to like Sony TV until few years ago. Samsung FTW.

rek075
06-20-08, 10:22 PM
Yea from what I hear, that's true. They're doing a lot of development on OLED tech, so when that becomes less expensive they can be a high quality TV maker again.

OLED isn't unique to Sony. They may be the only manufacturer to have an OLED TV on the market, but Samsung has unveiled TVs with OLED technology as well.

JigenD
06-21-08, 03:08 PM
OLED isn't unique to Sony. They may be the only manufacturer to have an OLED TV on the market, but Samsung has unveiled TVs with OLED technology as well.

Yea I know, but Sony seems to be pushing it more. They have their MP3 players with OLED screens, and the Mark 2 in MGS4 even has a Sony OLED screen. Basically it'll become cheaper for them faster probably.

PeterJensen
06-21-08, 03:19 PM
I love my Sony 40" topline W series TV. Best tv i ever had. Not more expensive then Samsung....

Peoples-Agent
06-21-08, 03:47 PM
I am very happy with my Bravia, it's served me well. Cannot fault them for build quality at all.

Lyme
06-23-08, 12:51 AM
Went into one of the local electronics retailers around here today. Same size tv, comparable features. Sony was $150 more than the Samsung. The picture was virtually identical.

Sony may make good hardware, but is it worth the premium?

Peoples-Agent
06-23-08, 12:40 PM
Went into one of the local electronics retailers around here today. Same size tv, comparable features. Sony was $150 more than the Samsung. The picture was virtually identical.

Sony may make good hardware, but is it worth the premium?

Well what I found on my fairly recent TV hunt was that the comparable priced Samsung offerings were great specwise but they seemed to chop and change what panels they were using, some were 10 bit... others 8 and each time you are none the wiser unless you go out of your way to find out.

Plus other niggling issues with 1080p / 24 were present on the Samsung set too.

Usually with the Sony sets nowadays you know where you stand and fault reports were far lower.

MustangSVT
06-23-08, 12:48 PM
My dad recently got a new TV. We paid $1400cad for a 42" Toshiba 1080p LCD with 120Hz, deep color, 4 HDMI inputs, 5:5 pulldown, etc.

A similar Sony TV with the same features was in the same store for about $2500-$2600cad. That being said, Toshiba also has a 42" LCD TV with the same exact features that our Toshiba has (and the same exact LCD panel), except it has a slim bezel, and it costs like $2200cad I think. On the other hand, Sony doesn't have a "cheaper" model with the same panel and the same features like Toshiba does.

Monolyth
06-23-08, 02:47 PM
Samsung & Sony use the same panels, you are paying for the Sony brand name and/or additional features.

I do wish there was a "Golden" or "Hand-Picked" panel line, as it stands it is very hit or miss on things like clouding, flashlights, etc.

Lyme
06-23-08, 09:21 PM
Edging back on topic:

Sony gaming sales numbers http://kotaku.com/5018917/console-war-has-changed-ps2-declines-in-old-age

Worldwide hardware unit sales (increase/decrease year-on-year ):

PS2: 13.73 million units (a decrease of 0.98 million units)
PSP: 13.89 million units (an increase of 4.36 million units)
PS3: 9.24 million units (an increase of 5.63 million units)

Worldwide software unit sales (increase/decrease year-on-year ):

PS2: 154.0 million units (a decrease of 39.5 million units)
PSP: 55.5 million units (an increase of 0.8 million units)
PS3: 57.9 million units (an increase of 44.6 million units)

Just look at those ps2s fly off them shelves!

Crappy but realistic outlook for Sony investors http://kotaku.com/5018899/sony-lost-over-3-billion-to-ps3-cost-pricing-imbalance

In order to stay competitive, said Sony, it had to invest large amounts of money in research and development to introduce the PlayStation 3 into the market, and these sorts of expenditures don't always get recouped, especially if a platform "fail[s] to achieve such favorable market penetration... resulting in a significant negative impact on Sony's profitability."