PDA

View Full Version : How do you set yours?

ATOJAR
06-21-08, 04:45 PM
I was just wondering how people had there X-Fi sound cards set up for gaming? ... most of the way i set mine up was just guess work lol(sound fine though)!

Anyway heres my set up.

X-Fi CMSS-3D - enabled, Upmix mode set to surround with upmix on auto & stereo envelopment set to surround

X-Fi Crystalizer enabled @ 80%.

EQ - Disabled

Mixer - EAX Effects ticked & all other setting default.

Speakers set to 5.1 Speakers(I have the Speedlink SL-8793 Medusa 5.1 ProGamer Edition Headset)

Bass - Redirection enabled & Crossover Frequency@80Hz, SubWoofer enabled.

Would you say mine it set up ok for gaming?

Would anybody else like to share there X-Fi sound card setup for gaming? maybe we can learn a trick/tip or two from each other!

crainger
06-21-08, 06:19 PM
X-Fi CMSS-3D - enabled, Upmix mode set to xpand with upmix on auto & stereo envelopment set to 50%. A lot of people tell you to turn this off as it stuffs up 5.1, but the card doesn't apply CMSS to anything multi channel, it only effects stereo.

X-Fi Crystalizer enabled @ 50%.

EQ - Disabled

Mixer - I'm on Vista and do not use the mixer. No need really. I just use the console

Speakers set to 5.1 Speakers(I have Logitech Z680s)

Bass - Redirection is disabled. My speakers are THX rated so redirection is already set in their control pod to the optimum 80% that THX suggests.

My settings are great for all round. I use a multichannel plugin for winamp and music sound great and of course games sound great. Don't watch movies on my PC.

Vik1dk
06-21-08, 06:44 PM
You should disable X-Fi CMSS-3D when useing medusa 5.1, i have http://www.gc-plus.de/bin/sl-8790/creative%20x-fi%20settings.zip

ATOJAR
06-21-08, 06:48 PM
You should disable X-Fi CMSS-3D when useing medusa 5.1

Why? ... isnt that needed for surround sound?

Vik1dk
06-21-08, 06:51 PM
check my link with recommended settings ;)

ATOJAR
06-22-08, 12:42 AM
check my link with recommended settings ;)

Thanks for that, ill look into it(have a fiddle)! .... i didn't have the THX console installed, i do now though(although it dont look like the on in your pic). :)

Medion
06-22-08, 12:53 AM
X-Fi CMSS-3D:

Enabled when using headphones, disabled when using 2.1 speakers. For my 2.1 setup, they didn't do anything for positional audio, but made speech a little tinny. Since they're supposed to make stereo output (headphones, 2 speakers) sound more like a surround setup, I don't see the point in enabling this when you're actually using a surround setup. But then, I'm no audio expert.

X-Fi Crystalizer:

Disabled, period. It helps clean up sound distortion for compressed, low quality audio. It's good for MP3-128, but I've moved all of my audio to lossless. For games, it does more harm than good.

The rest looks good.

ATOJAR
06-22-08, 05:21 AM
X-Fi CMSS-3D:

Enabled when using headphones, disabled when using 2.1 speakers. For my 2.1 setup, they didn't do anything for positional audio, but made speech a little tinny. Since they're supposed to make stereo output (headphones, 2 speakers) sound more like a surround setup, I don't see the point in enabling this when you're actually using a surround setup. But then, I'm no audio expert.

X-Fi Crystalizer:

Disabled, period. It helps clean up sound distortion for compressed, low quality audio. It's good for MP3-128, but I've moved all of my audio to lossless. For games, it does more harm than good.

Ahhh so X-Fi CMSS-3D is so people with stereo 2.1 speakers/headphones to can sort of get a surround sound effect, ...... Ill mess with the Crystalizer when i get home from work! .... interesting thread, im actually learning something about my X-Fi.