PDA

View Full Version : See what you made me do?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
06-23-08, 10:18 AM
I have GTX 280 sitting in trunk of my car, still wrapped. still not sure ....

:headexplode:

pizzaguy
06-23-08, 10:22 AM
I have GTX 280 sitting in trunk of my car, still wrapped. still not sure ....

:headexplode:

Its in the trunk of your car? planning on raping it or something?

nekrosoft13
06-23-08, 10:24 AM
yap, because leaving it in the front of car while parked at work would be such a great idea.

LordJuanlo
06-23-08, 10:25 AM
Haha you couldn't wait another couple of days to see the 4870, oh well with luck with your new purchase. I think I will take a decision this weekend. Or I may wait another month to see how x2 performs, who knows. Maybe I order a GTX 280 in a couple of hours

pizzaguy
06-23-08, 10:28 AM
yap, because leaving it in the front of car while parked at work would be such a great idea.

It was a joke MR personality. But this is nekrosoft we are talking about so I should have known better. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I was gonna tell you to have fun with it but I really hope you got one of the overheating POS's because I cant think of anyone who deserves that more than you.

nekrosoft13
06-23-08, 10:28 AM
i got 14 days return policy, so if the price drops around 4780 release i can get the difference back.

i would probably never buy 4780 anyway, up to may 2008 i still had to deal with ATi drivers on my old notebook. I still can't stand ATi drivers.

Plus nhancer and cuda is just to good to pass over

Lfctony
06-23-08, 12:01 PM
i got 14 days return policy, so if the price drops around 4780 release i can get the difference back.

i would probably never buy 4780 anyway, up to may 2008 i still had to deal with ATi drivers on my old notebook. I still can't stand ATi drivers.

Plus nhancer and cuda is just to good to pass over

What is this 4780 you speak of? Twice? :p

nekrosoft13
06-23-08, 12:06 PM
got the numbers mixed up ;)

grey_1
06-23-08, 12:07 PM
Lol, hope it works good for you.

nekrosoft13
06-23-08, 12:09 PM
i blame it on nvnews. bad forum

methimpikehoses
06-23-08, 12:20 PM
i blame it on nvnews. bad forum

:ban:

spajdr
06-23-08, 12:43 PM
Welcome to dark side nekrosoft13 :)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x288/lluvialita/Jedi_dark.jpg

brady
06-23-08, 01:15 PM
I just might be joining you soon. :D

Mr Bigman
06-23-08, 01:27 PM
What is Cuda?

brady
06-23-08, 01:30 PM
What is Cuda?

Lets programmers code apps to run on the GPU instead of the CPU. Good examples are video encoders. Nvidia has some impressive demo presentations of converting 720p videos to the appropriate Iphone compatable resolution and codec at several times the speed of a very fast quad core Intel system.

Mr_LoL
06-23-08, 01:31 PM
Still just waiting for the 4870. I am leaning towards nvidia though for all the physx stuff.

brady
06-23-08, 01:35 PM
Still just waiting for the 4870. I am leaning towards nvidia though for all the physx stuff.

Plus it seems NV is a little ahead in the GPGPU stuff. I know AMD has firestream or whatever it's called but I've yet to hear of any actual applications close to release that will benefit from it. CUDA is just around the corner and there are already some applications you can get for it and there'll certainly be more in the next few months.

Bearclaw
06-23-08, 01:41 PM
Plus it seems NV is a little ahead in the GPGPU stuff. I know AMD has firestream or whatever it's called but I've yet to hear of any actual applications close to release that will benefit from it. CUDA is just around the corner and there are already some applications you can get for it and there'll certainly be more in the next few months.

QFT.

brady
06-23-08, 01:53 PM
CUDA and Firestream are great in the sense that they'll enable huge performance gains in certain tasks. But, the downside is that they add value to the GPU and thus are probably not going to help in the price department.

Ghola
06-24-08, 02:41 AM
CUDA and Firestream are great in the sense that they'll enable huge performance gains in certain tasks. But, the downside is that they add value to the GPU and thus are probably not going to help in the price department.

Well every scheme Nvidia and ATI had for magical performance ended up being :
"great in the sense that they'll enable huge performance gains in certain tasks" and was all just another marketing scam, I'll suspect the same. Although I would like to see my 8600m GT in my Laptop help with performance boosts but I'm going to be realistic, cause I don't need performance boosts in opening notepad or word. :thumbdwn:

If anyone knows what CUDA will really help with I would like to read about that.

Blacklash
06-24-08, 02:56 AM
Enjoy. :D

I am leaving myself the option to go SLi. Of course I'll have to get a new PSU if I do that.

SH64
06-24-08, 06:33 AM
Nekro you should hand me that 280 .. its too dangerous to be left there in the trunk.

brady
06-24-08, 07:05 AM
Well every scheme Nvidia and ATI had for magical performance ended up being :
"great in the sense that they'll enable huge performance gains in certain tasks" and was all just another marketing scam, I'll suspect the same. Although I would like to see my 8600m GT in my Laptop help with performance boosts but I'm going to be realistic, cause I don't need performance boosts in opening notepad or word. :thumbdwn:

If anyone knows what CUDA will really help with I would like to read about that.

Just search around on google and I'm sure you'll be able to find some numbers and a few videos showing CUDA enabled GPUs killing CPUs at encoding and a few other things.

nekrosoft13
06-24-08, 07:09 AM
yap, cuda is one of main reason why i went with nvidia again.

with dual core i was re-encoding HD files in h264 2pass in about 30-40 hours
with intel quad it takes about 7-9 hours
with amd quad it takes about 9-13 hours
now with cuda it might take about 1-2 horus

****ing insane !

Ghola
06-24-08, 05:08 PM
Can't find anything real, It's just a pipedream right now.