PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP won't die until 2014

Tr1cK
06-24-08, 07:09 PM
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208800494

lol

evox
06-24-08, 07:52 PM
Such a bad move. How can they expect people to embrace and make the big switch if they keep doing things like these. Vista is great and works well, corporations aren't too interested in switching because it'll sky rocket the hardware costs. But bad move nonetheless.

six_storm
06-24-08, 08:20 PM
Haha.

Mr Bigman
06-24-08, 08:21 PM
People are still in no hurry to upgrade.

How long did they support 98 for? and now XP will beat out all previous versions of windows in support.

People need to move on and realize they can't keep milking this old calf.

I don't think this effects gamers but more those businesses that rely on old software and hardware insteading of moving forward like gamers do.

I hate to admit it but gamers even though they make up 2% of the industry, they play a big role in progress cuz if it weren't for gamers. their would be no need for 3 ghz.

Tr1cK
06-24-08, 09:07 PM
It's kinda like they are admitting Vista is a less than desirable upgrade since XP is still fully functional, DX10 is meh, and the new Windows 7 is right around the corner.

jcrox
06-24-08, 10:30 PM
Such a bad move. How can they expect people to embrace and make the big switch if they keep doing things like these. Vista is great and works well, corporations aren't too interested in switching because it'll sky rocket the hardware costs. But bad move nonetheless.

Corporations aren't interested in switching because it offers nothing but more cost and not just hardware. There are WAY TOO MANY apps that wont run on Vista at all without an upgrade and there are still plenty of Enterprise level applications that wont work at all on Vista. MS shot themselves in both feet when it comes to the corporate world and Vista :thumbdwn:

evox
06-24-08, 10:33 PM
Corporations aren't interested in switching because it offers nothing but more cost and not just hardware. There are WAY TOO MANY apps that wont run on Vista at all without an upgrade and there are still plenty of Enterprise level applications that wont work at all on Vista. MS shot themselves in both feet when it comes to the corporate world and Vista :thumbdwn:
Corporate sales were already low, this move will make the home/avg joe sales low as well. There's no shortage of retards running Vista to the ground, this doesn't help. At all. =\

mullet
06-25-08, 12:15 AM
I am happy so now all my email/surfing/picture/word low end build for people will run smooth.

Q
06-25-08, 05:20 AM
Vista offers NOTHING to corporate users. NAP is included in SP3 for XP, DX 10 is useless, any need for 4+ GB of memory is handled by a much leaner and more business oriented XP 64.

The imaging process for Vista is more robust, but that's only if you weren't already using Ghost or True Image...... which most businesses are.

Good for Microsoft. Good for us.

Bearclaw
06-25-08, 07:30 AM
I am glad to hear this. Hopefully Windows7 is much better.

MasterAlex
06-25-08, 08:26 AM
Well you can't buy XP after the 30th of June? Someting like that. Whitebox dealers can't sell it after the 31st of January?

Here's the exact dates:
June 30, 2008 - PC manufacturers and retailers stop selling computers with XP installed. The only source of new computers pre-loaded with Windows XP is through generic “white-box” computer resellers.

Jan. 31, 2009 - Microsoft stops selling Windows XP altogether through any channel (with the exception of some non-US versions and specialized low-end laptops).

April 14, 2009 - Mainstream support ends (free live support and warranty support). Free maintenance (Windows XP updates) will continue but will be limited to security fixes only.

April 8, 2014 - All support for Windows XP ends – no more security fixes, no more support of any kind from Microsoft…you are on your own!
Source: http://www.datadoctors.com/help/columns/21669-Is-Windows-XP-really-no-longer-available/

Mr Bigman
06-25-08, 07:08 PM
This is why i don't wear my socks to bed.

seeker
06-25-08, 09:02 PM
As MacArther might have said, "Old soldiers (OSs) never die, they just fade away".