PDA

View Full Version : Capcom Licenses Unreal Engine 3

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
06-25-08, 07:37 AM
But why??!! the Framework Engine is technically miles ahead of that "blurry" UE3! :headexplode:
Capcom announced that it has entered into an agreement to license Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3, the second agreement between Capcom and Epic Games on licensing Unreal Engine 3, for a yet unannounced European developed title.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=53265

raystorm
06-25-08, 09:01 AM
I don't understand why they did this considering how nice the Framework engine is but I guess maybe they want to keep the engine for its internal teams. The new Bionic Commando games from Grin both use Grin developed engines rather than the Framework engine so I guess Capcom doesn't want to share the love. :p

nekrosoft13
06-25-08, 09:23 AM
oh god, why UE3!

K007
06-25-08, 09:38 AM
:(

3DBrad
06-25-08, 09:42 AM
UE3 can look good, as shown in several games.

It's expensive to train a studio on a random engine, as a WHOLE lot more people know how to use UnrealEd/Unreal Engine 3 than other engines and SDK tools.

nekrosoft13
06-25-08, 10:44 AM
yes a "lot" of studios know how to use, just like a lot of studios show that.

JigenD
06-25-08, 11:42 AM
Ughhh, WTF.

This is up there with Wii for the worst trends this generation.

evox
06-25-08, 11:55 AM
Ughhh, WTF.

This is up there with Wii for the worst trends this generation.

+1

UE3 blows.

3DBrad
06-25-08, 12:21 PM
Well, you might as well get used to it, as a few weeks ago EA dumped tons of money into UE3, so now, they can basically make how ever many UE3 games they want. :D

HiCZoK4
06-25-08, 04:33 PM
That Lost Planet Engine is way better

NaitoSan
06-25-08, 05:16 PM
Maybe they're keeping Framework engine for AAA titles while UE3 for budget games or something. I wonder if it's gonna be UE3.5...

blizzle
06-25-08, 06:04 PM
UE3 = :thumbdwn:

LORD-eX-Bu
06-25-08, 06:23 PM
UE3 is ****, why capcom why!!

3DBrad
06-25-08, 06:26 PM
Unreal Engine 3 will still be called UE3 until the next generation, which will be UE4, per Mike Capps. :)

LORD-eX-Bu
06-25-08, 06:28 PM
they should call it SPOS4 for "Steaming Pile of **** 4" :lol:

3DBrad
06-25-08, 06:30 PM
It is a really good engine and very flexible.

I don't quite know why everyone seems to hate it, unless they're just jumping on the bandwagon.

While the Framework engine is really good as well, as it uses quad-cores very nicely, I have never had any experience using it to know if it offers a good toolset for the artists and designers, which is important for production.

evox
06-25-08, 06:43 PM
My ONLY problem with the UE3 engine is the color scheme. Everything goes piss-brown and looks washed off. Aside from that, it's a great engine, it's not quite as awesome as Epic showed it to be (early demos) but it has a great performance/IQ ratio. I am hoping, similar to UE2.5, Epic may upgrade it to UE3.5 and we'll finally get the visuals that we were promised. Albeit with a loss of performance -- With GTX280/HD4000 series cards, that's not an issue, though. :D

ralinn
06-25-08, 06:59 PM
Odd... why go for UE3 when they have more experience and talant with framework.

3DBrad
06-25-08, 07:38 PM
My ONLY problem with the UE3 engine is the color scheme. Everything goes piss-brown and looks washed off. Aside from that, it's a great engine, it's not quite as awesome as Epic showed it to be (early demos) but it has a great performance/IQ ratio. I am hoping, similar to UE2.5, Epic may upgrade it to UE3.5 and we'll finally get the visuals that we were promised. Albeit with a loss of performance -- With GTX280/HD4000 series cards, that's not an issue, though. :D

What you're complaining about is the post processing. You can setup Post Processing Volumes, or change the whole look of the whole scene, and lower color saturation, increase certain colors, and hence you get the look you're describing. This is mainly done to help tie in the 3d assets together, since they art team is usually made up of a lot of people, and post processing helps tie all of their assets "together" so to speak.

It pretty much can do all that was shown in those early demos, it's just that some studios don't take the time to create cool scenes that take advantage of the effects, and usually the textures are squished down to according to the Wolrd/LOD settings you choose, mainly for consoles (PS3 for the most part).

JigenD
06-25-08, 09:01 PM
UE3 games often times have a 'look' that I've never seen anyone explain, and I can't explain it myself, but it's there for sure. I think it goes beyond filters, and IMO it has something to do with the lighting in the games. Everything has an unnatural look, and I can't even say why.

There have been a few UE3 games that don't have that 'look' but only a handful.

Destroy
06-25-08, 11:01 PM
UE3 engine sucks and I'll tell you why, cause most(95%?) of the time every god damn game that uses it has.....

blurry mess textures
no native FSAA
crap widescreen support
horrible FOV
small areas

sahilmalhotra17
06-26-08, 01:17 AM
seems like an out and out business decision...... production houses with big capital are so well covered by financial devices that they rarely ever run into loss on a title...... which translates into....
more titles=more money
more workforce = more titles
commonly used engine = more workforce that knows the engine
title flood = picky gamers like us
picky gamers = continuingly active forums and blogs abt gaming........

so this thread you see is really important to why places like nvnews.net will still be alive 2050......

evox
06-26-08, 01:26 AM
It pretty much can do all that was shown in those early demos, it's just that some studios don't take the time to create cool scenes that take advantage of the effects, and usually the textures are squished down to according to the Wolrd/LOD settings you choose, mainly for consoles (PS3 for the most part).

Ain't that nice.

SH64
06-26-08, 07:10 AM
seems like an out and out business decision...... production houses with big capital are so well covered by financial devices that they rarely ever run into loss on a title...... which translates into....
more titles=more money
more workforce = more titles
commonly used engine = more workforce that knows the engine
title flood = picky gamers like us
picky gamers = continuingly active forums and blogs abt gaming........

so this thread you see is really important to why places like nvnews.net will still be alive 2050......
Long live teh nvnews! :captnkill:

:p

XxDeadlyxX
06-26-08, 09:19 AM
small areas

? I haven't noticed that... some of the Warfare maps in UT3 are quite large.

At least UT3 actually runs well and scales well.