PDA

View Full Version : IGN gives Alone in the Dark a 3.5/10 (Baaaaaad!)

Pages : [1] 2

3DBrad
06-25-08, 09:35 AM
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/883/883633p1.html

:o

That's right, Hour of Victory got a lot higher!
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/879/879516.html
:D

Umm, the UK IGN gave it a 7, I think?
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/774/774387.html

Regular IGN gave it a 3.5.

Ninjaman09
06-25-08, 09:37 AM
Did they get sued?

evox
06-25-08, 11:34 AM
Surprising considering they give every title 10......

JigenD
06-25-08, 11:45 AM
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/883/883633p1.html

:o

That's right, Hour of Victory got a lot higher!
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/879/879516.html
:D

Umm, the UK IGN gave it a 7, I think?
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/774/774387.html

Regular IGN gave it a 3.5.

Hour of Victory was HORRIBLE. I should be getting my copy of AITD5 in a few hours.

3DBrad
06-25-08, 12:19 PM
Hour of Victory was HORRIBLE. I should be getting my copy of AITD5 in a few hours.

Lol, doesn't that comfort you? :)

JigenD
06-25-08, 12:22 PM
Lol, doesn't that comfort you? :)

:(

I'm still expecting something more like a fun 7/10 IMO, but I'm also prepared to be shocked.

Maybe it'll be so bad it's good.

Tygerwoody
06-25-08, 12:26 PM
looks like they didn't pay IGN enough. They could have gotten a 10

blizzle
06-25-08, 12:43 PM
looks like they didn't pay IGN enough. They could have gotten a 10

QFT

LOL @ professional review sites.:thumbdwn:

Mr. Hunt
06-25-08, 12:59 PM
Wow... that is pretty bad... was thinking about buying it, but might have to wait for it to be like... 10 bucks lol... which apparently it might not be too long :\.

Quarter
06-25-08, 01:09 PM
It's IGN... it could mean it's a 3.5, or it could mean it's anywhere else on the scale ;)

I love how they praise he graphics, then give it a 6.0 in the score. Why does it matter if it's not an average, as they emphasize? Even a 3.5 game can have good graphics.

TheManko
06-25-08, 04:18 PM
Yeah, it's funny how even if the last score isn't an average they still give every aspect of the game low scores. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do that for games that they give 7-10 which have graphics that are worse or the same as Alone in the Dark.

I trust that UK review a bit more, even if I haven't played the game. From what I've seen of it it doesn't look as the disaster that score suggests.

NaitoSan
06-25-08, 05:24 PM
It appears a lot of Europeans like this game but Western people hate it.

crainger
06-25-08, 05:32 PM
It appears a lot of Europeans like this game but Western people hate it.

Must be too complex for us...

Wait, I'm Eastern! WTF do I think? I like Starcraft mostly.

TheManko
06-25-08, 05:43 PM
But the pattern isn't like that actually since two european sites have given it crap scores. It's really all over the map.

JigenD
06-25-08, 05:59 PM
OK I got the game and played an hour and a half or something.

Basically everything you've heard about the game is more or less true, but it depends on your perspective. The game has better graphics than I thought (sometimes it can look really amazing), but lots of stuff is done sloppily too, animations are especially bad most of the time, and look comical often. Lots of really cool effects though.

The dialog is often times laughably bad, but it doesn't really bother me too much. The soundtrack is very old school in the timing and such, overemphasis during events, but it doesn't bother me horribly either.

Controls are ALWAYS bad, the reviews didn't really explain this well. The game does some silly stuff, it'll be changing the control system on you quite often, sometimes moving your camera around for no reason at all. The inventory system is way worse designed than it could have been as well.

The actual gameplay is full of crazy glitches, sometimes you'll be on a ledge and not being able to pull up properly, sometimes a jump won't take you far enough and you'll die, sometimes a car will fall right through the ground and you'll die. The gameplay is also very linear, so while there are sometimes a few ways to handle a single situation, there usually isn't a huge amount of options.

So far I'm 1/2 through the 3rd stage (of 8 according to the VCR system). Personally to me, despite the huge number of flaws, I haven't become too angry at the game, and the bad parts I can usually laugh about. Probably a 8/10 so far to me, but if it gets really annoying later I may lower that. However, for a normal gamer, probably way worse, it depends on how frustrated you get.

TheManko
06-25-08, 06:30 PM
I can stand all sorts of crap in games as long as it tries to be different, so it sounds like the game for me then!

ralinn
06-25-08, 07:05 PM
OK I got the game and played an hour and a half or something.

Basically everything you've heard about the game is more or less true, but it depends on your perspective. The game has better graphics than I thought (sometimes it can look really amazing), but lots of stuff is done sloppily too, animations are especially bad most of the time, and look comical often. Lots of really cool effects though.

The dialog is often times laughably bad, but it doesn't really bother me too much. The soundtrack is very old school in the timing and such, overemphasis during events, but it doesn't bother me horribly either.

Controls are ALWAYS bad, the reviews didn't really explain this well. The game does some silly stuff, it'll be changing the control system on you quite often, sometimes moving your camera around for no reason at all. The inventory system is way worse designed than it could have been as well.

The actual gameplay is full of crazy glitches, sometimes you'll be on a ledge and not being able to pull up properly, sometimes a jump won't take you far enough and you'll die, sometimes a car will fall right through the ground and you'll die. The gameplay is also very linear, so while there are sometimes a few ways to handle a single situation, there usually isn't a huge amount of options.

So far I'm 1/2 through the 3rd stage (of 8 according to the VCR system). Personally to me, despite the huge number of flaws, I haven't become too angry at the game, and the bad parts I can usually laugh about. Probably a 8/10 so far to me, but if it gets really annoying later I may lower that. However, for a normal gamer, probably way worse, it depends on how frustrated you get.
Cripes, you'd rate a game that high just because it doesn't annoy you? >.<

You must ****ing HATE Ninja Gaiden.

TheManko
06-25-08, 07:44 PM
If a game is fantastic in parts then I'll rate a game well even if it does have really annoying parts. Note that even if I would rate something high it doesn't mean that I'll recommend it to people because I know that someone else might not be as forgiving. I for example love the Ninja Gaiden games and even Call of Cthuhlu, even if both of those are brutally difficult at times.

I remember someone talking about Vampire Bloodlines when it came out saying something along the lines of "I'm willing to reach into a thorny bush if there's gold on the other side" and that perfectly describes my attitude to games. Since some reviews have said that it swings in quality a lot between fantastic and bad I know that it's the sort of game I'll like.

Now that I think about it I'm probably a somewhat odd gamer since I honestly think that those sort of games that risk a lot and only manage to achieve some of their goals along the way are much more appealing than your average 10/10 blockbuster game.

JigenD
06-25-08, 08:58 PM
Cripes, you'd rate a game that high just because it doesn't annoy you? >.<

You must ****ing HATE Ninja Gaiden.

I should have better explained what I like about the game. It has a good pace, it puts you in a lot of interesting situations (not dialog/story wise, but like scenario wise). There are some interesting puzzles, and there are multiple solutions, each requiring a bit of thinking.
Underneath the crap elements of the game, there's actually a great feel that reminds me of classic adventure games.

It's obvious the game tries to do too much for the developers to handle, but the 'doing too much' makes it interesting to me. I prefer buggy ambitious games to smooth 'by the books' games. As far as bugs, IMO it's not as bad as Trespasser was, but not as ambitious either.

When I've died in the game it hasn't put me back so far in the progress that I got really pissed. A lot of the problems are actually pretty minor, but there's HUGE amounts of them.

Ninja Gaiden on Xbox 1 I liked a lot, I thought they messed up the balance in the PS3 remake (Sigma), and NG2 just hasn't interested me enough, so I haven't picked it up yet.

saguy
06-26-08, 06:09 AM
I have read many Alone in the Dark threads and I am still no the wiser.

IS IT SCARY? :zombie3:

JigenD
06-26-08, 11:59 AM
I have read many Alone in the Dark threads and I am still no the wiser.

IS IT SCARY? :zombie3:

Not at all IMO. The over dramatic music score with the crappy dialog and cliche scares kill any potentially scary moments.

Severian126
06-26-08, 02:49 PM
Well that sucks. I was looking forward to this game. The trailers made it look so good.

Bokishi
06-26-08, 02:58 PM
That does suck!

NarcissistZero
06-29-08, 07:31 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but I like the game a lot... I agree most with the gametrailers.com review, which was a high 7-something.

The graphics can really look amazing, and I think the score is AWESOME. My copy came with a soundtrack CD, and that makes me very happy since the score is so brilliant. It really kicks in how great the music is at the end of chapter 2.

The gameplay is VERY unique, which allows me to look past the minor flaws in inventory management and such. All the enemies must be killed by fire, and you have many ways to go about this, from the obvious lighter/spray can combo, to something more unique like knocking them down and dragging them into fire, or coating your bullets with alcohol, or blowing up the car behind them.

There was a moment where you had to pass an enemy who is scared of the light, and your first instinct is to use your flashlight... the flashlight has such a small beam however, that the enemy can easily go around it and kill you. What I ended up doing, with no game instruction to do so, is go back a couple rooms, light a chair on fire, throw said chair in the middle of the room, and scare the enemy to stay near the wall while I did my business. Moments like this really shine.

I have not encountered any glitches like some people complain about, but I am playing the Xbox 360 version, so maybe that makes a difference. I have heard of crazy stuff like falling through the floor or not being able to grab a ledge, but like I said, none of that has happened to me. The most annoying thing so far is when a gang of zombies attacks you in the woods and you have nothing to kill them with, which means you need to run to a car or something... but I guess that's more a part of the game, rather than an annoyance. I don't like running.

Also, the car chase sections are hard, but not because of glitches... they're just hard.

JigenD
06-29-08, 07:40 PM
Yea I played some more of the game, there have been a few points that grated on me, but the game is keeping up the interesting challenges IMO.

The music is high quality, but just how an event will happen and when the music plays it sometimes feels really inappropriate.

I'm playing the 360 version too, but I have heard the PC version has some very nasty additional glitches. I see tons of minor glitches on the 360 version like a sound effect not playing, and I have fallen through walls a few times.