PDA

View Full Version : Do you get overheating issues with your GTX 280 ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

SH64
06-26-08, 05:47 AM
Lets help the community to identify how big is this issue & if its worth the concerns or not.

simply state if you have the issue or no. if yes , indicate which brand ?

EDIT : mods please fix the second option , should be : BFG

popol32
06-26-08, 06:02 AM
hello guys !

well i bought 5 days ago a leadtek gtx 280, received it last tuesday, immediately installed it, launched crysis very high dx10, and gpu went up to 105 degre and i had to stop the game, cause temp was going up & up again....

i have a very well ventilated case (stacker master 830) with 4 side 12cm fans, 2 intake fan (front) 1 behind blowing hot air outside.

i have an enermax dxx 1000 watts, with 8 pin pci-e connectors, and 6 pins, i tried to everything with those plugs to see if psu was the issue but it wasnt, i have even tried with my tagan 900 watts with adaptateur 6 to 8 pin and same issue.

im very frustrated and angry agains nvidia for releasing such buggy gpus.

so i called the technical service of the shop where i bought the card and sent it back yesterday, and i asked for a refund, i will wait the next revision of the gtx280 (55nm) before i think about buying a nvidia card again.

SH64
06-26-08, 06:05 AM
Thanks for posting about your experiance popol32! & sorry to hear about that :(

Revs
06-26-08, 06:13 AM
hello guys !

well i bought 5 days ago a leadtek gtx 280, received it last tuesday, immediately installed it, launched crysis very high dx10, and gpu went up to 105 degre and i had to stop the game, cause temp was going up & up again....

i have a very well ventilated case (stacker master 830) with 4 side 12cm fans, 2 intake fan (front) 1 behind blowing hot air outside.

i have an enermax dxx 1000 watts, with 8 pin pci-e connectors, and 6 pins, i tried to everything with those plugs to see if psu was the issue but it wasnt, i have even tried with my tagan 900 watts with adaptateur 6 to 8 pin and same issue.

im very frustrated and angry agains nvidia for releasing such buggy gpus.

so i called the technical service of the shop where i bought the card and sent it back yesterday, and i asked for a refund, i will wait the next revision of the gtx280 (55nm) before i think about buying a nvidia card again.

Welcome to the forum, bud :). Did you try increasing the fan speed? I assume there is a fault with some of the cards because it seems people's cards are either running nice and cool or massively overheating. Luckily mine run cool; 40*C idle and up to 65*C ish after a good sesh on Crysis with clocks in sig.

EDIT: Is this thread just for GTX280's?

Lfctony
06-26-08, 06:14 AM
Well at least it's not BFG and eVGA only. They're supposed to be the cream of the crop, if they were the only ones with duds, I'd be very worried...

SH64
06-26-08, 06:20 AM
Yes only 280's.

pingu2
06-26-08, 06:29 AM
my BFG overheated, replacement Leadtek doesn't .. so I voted yes.. :/

popol32
06-26-08, 06:30 AM
Welcome to the forum, bud :). Did you try increasing the fan speed? I assume there is a fault with some of the cards because it seems people's cards are either running nice and cool or massively overheating. Luckily mine run cool; 40*C idle and up to 65*C ish after a good sesh on Crysis with clocks in sig.

hi and thanks ;)

yes i was using the fan at 100% speed, at idle my card was at 45 celsius, so that was good, but once i launched crysis and played for 5 min temp raised to 105, same with call of juarez dx10, as soon as i stopped those games, temps dropped immediately to 70, i mean just 1 second later not more, then went back to 45 few secs after.

i first thought that was a faulty temp sensor and that my card could not that hot so while gaming i touched the card and it almost burned my finger !

SH64
06-26-08, 06:42 AM
my BFG overheated, replacement Leadtek doesn't .. so I voted yes.. :/
Yep in these cases where you replace the overheated one , you still have to mention the issue. people need to be aware of that even if it was fixed with the replacement.

Tym
06-26-08, 08:24 AM
No overheating problems here, my BFG GTX 280 OC never gets above 85-87C.

Tym
06-26-08, 08:26 AM
Luckily mine run cool; 40*C idle and up to 65*C ish after a good sesh on Crysis with clocks in sig.

What fan speed are you using to get 40C at idle?

Uberpwnage
06-26-08, 08:43 AM
These results aren't very comforting :(

Revs
06-26-08, 01:44 PM
What fan speed are you using to get 40C at idle?

55%. My case is very well cooled though. Internal case temp is the same as the room temp.

So I take it no-one's having problems with GTX260?

These results aren't very comforting :(

Yeah, only 30% ish not having problems :(

ErikRedbeard
06-26-08, 02:15 PM
Asus joins the faulty's!

I have an Asus GeForce GTX280 1GB DDR3 2xDVI/HDCP and it goes from
55C to 115C (within a min) and then turns itself off.
I even tried putting the card right in front of my Airco. The only effect this had is that it would take a min longer to reach the 115C treshold.

particleman
06-26-08, 03:13 PM
My first GTX280 was a BFG, and it overheated, throttled and shutdown on it's own. My second card is an EVGA and it is fine.

I can just imagine the frustration some of you are feeling. If the store I bought it from wasn't so friendly and didn't allow me to exchange mine I would be very frustrated with the situation. It would stink buying it online or going through an RMA; having to ship a card back and then having to wait for a replacement. And the whole reason those of us who own the card bought it already is because we are eager and excited about wanting a GTX280 and bought our cards as soon as possible.

If my exchange hadn't been so trouble free I would be seriously considering a 4870 (Although at the price a 4870 costs I will probably end up grabbing one or an x2 version for my 2nd system anyways)

SH64
06-26-08, 06:08 PM
I can just imagine the frustration some of you are feeling. If the store I bought it from wasn't so friendly and didn't allow me to exchange mine I would be very frustrated with the situation. It would stink buying it online or going through an RMA; having to ship a card back and then having to wait for a replacement.
Exactly what i am thinking! .. i'm not gonna order it online after seeing the votes to far , but rather wait for a local store to bring some & buy it from there.

Dreamingawake
06-26-08, 07:13 PM
wow, the amount of cards with problems is staggering.

as i've mentioned in several other threads i did initially have problems with my card.
when i first got it it shut of my pc while playing crysis.. 2x..
then i noticed it was reaching 100+ temps..

after much troubleshooting (i did ALOT of things im not going to get into)
and a new case with better airflow, my card idles anywhere between 40-50
and max temps are about 80-85 at most. that's during crysis, and the dreaded furmark.

very pleased, but also kinda worried it's going to conk out on me again.

Uberpwnage
06-26-08, 10:36 PM
after much troubleshooting (i did ALOT of things im not going to get into)
and a new case with better airflow, my card idles anywhere between 40-50
and max temps are about 80-85 at most. that's during crysis, and the dreaded furmark.

Please do go into detail, with 10 people having problems with EVGA cards I'm starting to get seriously concerned, any advice before I get my 280 would be much appreciated by me and many other people I'm sure.

azanon
06-26-08, 10:47 PM
Given what I'm seeing here, my 260 will get a massive 3d workout when it comes in. I only have 30 days to send a bad one back!

BCKator
06-27-08, 02:08 AM
Has anybody who experienced overheating taken the heatsink off to inspect the GPU/HS contact?

Lfctony
06-27-08, 03:14 AM
Has anybody who experienced overheating taken the heatsink off to inspect the GPU/HS contact?

Yes, mine was seated properly. I also applied AS5 and temps dropped a bit, but still the card overheated and shut down within a minute of 3d usage...

pingu2
06-27-08, 03:34 AM
same - dismantled and applied AS5 and made very little difference - still reached 105 in 90 secs of furmark (new card tops out at 86 with less cooling on it than before)

Bun-Bun
06-27-08, 10:01 AM
Hmm my card never goes above 74C but with people going up to 115C that quickly and shutting off there is something definitly wrong.

3 thories

1. Improper application of TIM which at least two of the posts here verify this is not the case.

2. Bunk temp diodes

3. Defective heatspreaders due to rushing out shipments of these cards causeing poor QC..

My $0.02

ChrisRay
06-27-08, 10:31 AM
My engineering samples cap at about 85C in Crysis in an SLI configuration. 260's cap at 90C but there fan RPMS are bios set lower.

nekrosoft13
06-27-08, 10:39 AM
yesterday when playing crysis it took about 20-30 minutes for the card to climb to 105c, at that time it started to stutter.