PDA

View Full Version : Questions on my upgrade to a GeForce FX 5200

EviL_SoliduS
05-10-03, 04:45 AM
[1] hi i bought a GeForse FX Ultra 5200...it was 200 dollars...but before i had a GeForse 4 MX 420...it was great for online games(but it was 64 MB)so i wanted a better one...ok my MX 420 gave me a stright 80 fps in my games...since i was thinking getting a better video card will make my fps go up...so i bought my FX 5200...got it and install it...and what do i find out...i have a 30 fps:( is it cause this card sucks...or do i have to do something about it...

[2] ok the same pc...^^^ i got a AMD Duron 751 MHz...it sucks so bad...so i am thinking of buying a new one...which one should i get...cause i dunno(plus i don't know how to install that kind of stuff...and i can't give it to someone overnight to put it in...cause its my moms pc and she will be pissed if she knew it was gone...(i am a noob at this stuff)(i wish i wasn't :)

Nutty
05-10-03, 05:04 AM
Welcome.

1) Sorry dude, but you got shafted, the 5200 is a lousy performer. It has all the features of the top end card, but its performance is crap. Take it back, and go back to your previous card.

If you want a cheap card, with more bang-for-buck, try and get a GF4TI 4200.

2) If you're on a duron, and you just want a bit more cpu power, try just buying a 1.3ghz duron or something. You wont have to change anything, except swap the cpu over. I think retail packs come with an appropriate cpu cooler and fan.

That''ll give you almost double cpu power, with very little work.

Any probs just drop by the processor forum!

EviL_SoliduS
05-10-03, 05:14 AM
yeah i knew that video card had to be ****...i might go get that video card dunno...but since i got that video card...it just been crap!!!!!!

ok so with my amd all i have to do is switch out the processer?

EviL_SoliduS
05-10-03, 05:15 AM
and i am the hughest noob ever...what is cpu???

StealthHawk
05-10-03, 05:16 AM
Yes, it is true that the gfFX5200 is a lousy performer.

But the gfFX5200Ultra is not a bad performer by a long shot. That is the card he says he has, and judging from the price he listed, it sounds like he has a genuine gfFX5200Ultra.

Here's a good review: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ0LDU=

EviL_SoliduS
05-10-03, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Yes, it is true that the gfFX5200 is a lousy performer.

But the gfFX5200Ultra is not a bad performer by a long shot. That is the card he says he has, and judging from the price he listed, it sounds like he has a genuine gfFX5200Ultra.

Here's a good review: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ0LDU=
yes a Geforse FX Ultra(forgot which came first the FX or ultra lol)5200 128 DDR APG...

StealthHawk
05-10-03, 05:23 AM
Here's something else to look at: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/retro/index.html

The gfFX5200Ultra should be faster than a gf4mx in most games. Especially if you enable FSAA.

and i am the hughest noob ever...what is cpu???

I'm not sure if you're joking or not. But the CPU in your current computer is a "AMD Duron 751 MHz." CPU = central processing unit. Just like the name implies, it does the calculations that let your computer operate.

EviL_SoliduS
05-10-03, 05:25 AM
no i wasn't dude:bounce:

EviL_SoliduS
05-10-03, 05:27 AM
i am sorry this isn't in the proecsser thread..but if i changed my proecsser will it reformat my pc...(I AM A NOOB SO DON"T FLAME ME!!!)(everyone was i a noob in their life...it just sucks cause in my life time now...i am the noob)

StealthHawk
05-10-03, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by EviL_SoliduS
i am sorry this isn't in the proecsser thread..but if i changed my proecsser will it reformat my pc...(I AM A NOOB SO DON"T FLAME ME!!!)(everyone was i a noob in their life...it just sucks cause in my life time now...i am the noob)

No, it won't.

EviL_SoliduS
05-10-03, 05:46 AM
ok cool...all i need now is to buy one :) if i have any trouble...i will post in the right thread :) thank you guys very much

saturnotaku
05-10-03, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by EviL_SoliduS
ok cool...all i need now is to buy one :) if i have any trouble...i will post in the right thread :) thank you guys very much

To be quite honest, if you're that much of a newbie (since you didin't even know what a CPU was), I would seriously take your PC into a repair shop and have them replace the processor for you. If you mess up the installation, your processor won't be the only thing that goes. :)

euan
05-11-03, 09:16 AM
I think his Duron is a Slot A, not Socket A BTW... One to check. :/

StealthHawk
05-11-03, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by euan
I think his Duron is a Slot A, not Socket A BTW... One to check. :/

Yeah, depending on his motherboard, his upgrade options could be severly limited.

To be quite honest, I don't think you have the technical knowledge to do this upgrade yourself. If you have any tech savvy friends who you know know what they are doing, then I would ask them for assistance.

stncttr908
05-12-03, 08:22 AM
Someone tell him to take back that card, get a cheap nforce2 board (soltek or the like) 1700+ for $55, and some cheap DDR. :D

silence
05-12-03, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by stncttr908
Someone tell him to take back that card, get a cheap nforce2 board (soltek or the like) 1700+ for $55, and some cheap DDR. :D

yap...that would really change his gaming experience..nforce2 with some ddr will boost his comp more then card.