PDA

View Full Version : Are We in a Golden Age of Gaming?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MowTin
06-26-08, 10:55 PM
I played Bioshock and thought, "Wow this is one the best games I've ever played!"

Then I played COD4, and thought the same.
Then I played Crysis and thought the same.
Then I played Mass Effect and thought the same.
Now I'm playing GTA IV and think it is one of the best games.

I haven't played MGS 4 but people say that is one of the best games ever.

Many of these games have gotten near perfect scores in reviews. Games are getting Hollywood quality acting and scripts and budgets.

Are we in a golden age of gaming?

I say yes. This is the best gaming era since the Atari era of Defenders, Pac Man, Pole Position, Centipede, etc. (nana2)

CaptNKILL
06-26-08, 11:04 PM
Gaming is good now, for sure, but golden age? eh... for some maybe.

I reserve that term for 1995-1997 and 2000-2002. At least as far as PC gaming goes.

Richteralan
06-26-08, 11:10 PM
golden age of everything has passed

styles-T
06-26-08, 11:13 PM
i get bored easily now. back in the 90's i had tribes, quake(s), starcraft and then counter strike (early versions) came along which were some of the funnest games i ever played. now tribes is dead the good versions of counterstrike are gone and everyone cheats on starcraft. todays games are great but i get bored easily i guess maybe my age is setting in. :( the only game i probably enjoyed recently and finished was COD 4. bioshock, mass effect, the witcher, stalker will probly never get completed i gave them to my brother.

Yaboze
06-26-08, 11:25 PM
IHMO, 1996 to 1999 was.

PC's, Consoles, lots of good stuff in that time.

crainger
06-26-08, 11:30 PM
Officially the late 90s is recognised as The Golden Age of PC gaming. As most people have already mentioned.

In terms of console gaming? For me it is, reaching new heights in graphics, gameplay and multiplayer. Pushing envelopes as it were.

Loreman
06-26-08, 11:32 PM
Most definitely not. Depending on what you're into though.

The days when the PC was recognised as a serious platform for seriously deep games is gone.

Realistic military shooters in the vain of Rogue Spear and other Rainbow Six and Swat games is now replaced by dumbed down rubbish such as COD 4 and kiddy Vegas junk.

So many good and deep RPG's back in the day (Baldurs Gate II, Dungeon Master series, Eye of the Beholder series, the first Neverwinter Nights, so many more) that didn't try to appeal to the mass market to attract someone who has trouble with an inventory and checking out stats.

I think that those days are gone.

What we have now is the occasional gem in the rough. Like Stalker.

Most stuff now has gone with the vibe of most new movies now days. Hollywoodized junk to appeal to the kids.

rabblerouser
06-26-08, 11:39 PM
I think this is a golden age of gaming.

Sure, I was a big fan of games like Starcraft, Warcraft, Quake, Diablo I, etc., back in the day but today's games are just as good/better and look way better. The novelty may be gone, but that's about it.

Still, games like WoW I could never have imagined back then. I think I spent just as much time playing WoW as any of those old games. Now we have SC II to look forward to and probably Diablo III and I'm playing Crysis right now which so far is excellent.

SH64
06-26-08, 11:55 PM
Gaming is in a good condition right now .. i believe its going to improve further more as the time passes.

crainger
06-26-08, 11:58 PM
It will reach it pinnacle with Wolf Quest 2 IMHO.

SH64
06-27-08, 12:04 AM
It will reach it pinnacle with Wolf Quest 2 IMHO.
By that time it will turn into a "Golden shower" rather than Golden age .. :bleh:

Zapablast05
06-27-08, 12:05 AM
As far as animations, graphics, and sound goes, it is at a Golden Age. Of course, you can't compare Galaga graphics to Crysis..

CaptNKILL
06-27-08, 12:05 AM
By that time it will turn into a "Golden shower" rather than Golden age .. :bleh:

:rofl

LT.Schaffer
06-27-08, 12:55 AM
Most definitely not. Depending on what you're into though.

The days when the PC was recognised as a serious platform for seriously deep games is gone.

Realistic military shooters in the vain of Rogue Spear and other Rainbow Six and Swat games is now replaced by dumbed down rubbish such as COD 4 and kiddy Vegas junk.

So many good and deep RPG's back in the day (Baldurs Gate II, Dungeon Master series, Eye of the Beholder series, the first Neverwinter Nights, so many more) that didn't try to appeal to the mass market to attract someone who has trouble with an inventory and checking out stats.

I think that those days are gone.

What we have now is the occasional gem in the rough. Like Stalker.

Most stuff now has gone with the vibe of most new movies now days. Hollywoodized junk to appeal to the kids.

I Agree, just like movies... good solid Stories have been replaced by Flashy Graphics/special effects... now i'm all for good graphics as long as the story is atleast decent aswell.

arioch21
06-27-08, 01:39 AM
even though I miss some of the good old games, I do think now is a good time, the gaming world has gotten a lot bigger and there are more people getting into gaming. When movie studios start to worry about releasing their movie the same time a big game is coming out then we are definitely in a different age.

LordJuanlo
06-27-08, 02:40 AM
No, games were much better in the 90's. Games like Doom, Monkey Island, Tie Fighter, Descent... Gamers where harder than today, I remember those long missions in X-Wing, if you died then game over, no f**ing 'checkpoint reached' message, you had to finish the mission like you should do in the real thing, screw 'casual players'. We gamers were an elite then.

Any idiot can finish a game today, in those times you had to be really good

EciDemon
06-27-08, 03:36 AM
Interesting times for sure, production value on the big titles are huge, now it only needs to translate in to longer games.
Most cool shooters just seem so short these days, but the same is true for most games ive bought in the last year.

Tomato
06-27-08, 03:56 AM
NO WAY!!

Much much better games were released in the mid 90's
Duke Nukem 3D
Civ 2
Freespace 1 & 2
Starcraft
Diablo II
Simcity 2000
Command and Conquer (Back when it was really good)
Tie Fighter
X-Com Apocalypse
Half-Life
Counterstrike

Most of today's games have very little depth. It really upsets me. I also hate how every AAA game has to be a FPS and not a good thinking game.

Zapablast05
06-27-08, 04:03 AM
No, games were much better in the 90's. Games like Doom, Monkey Island, Tie Fighter, Descent... Gamers where harder than today, I remember those long missions in X-Wing, if you died then game over, no f**ing 'checkpoint reached' message, you had to finish the mission like you should do in the real thing, screw 'casual players'. We gamers were an elite then.

Any idiot can finish a game today, in those times you had to be really good

Perfect Dark was like that.

nutcrackr
06-27-08, 04:32 AM
Easy answer, no.

half life, deus ex, diablo etc. thats the golden age.

Hercules
06-27-08, 05:25 AM

Simple and true.

sahilmalhotra17
06-27-08, 05:38 AM
have to disagree here. For me a game is about something novel.... something you cant experience in real life... but then again you may... but it has to have engaging gameplay... you should feel like youve donesomething to take the story this far, not like youve done something you were supposed to do to get to level 2.... and in most of todays games.... i find 3 things common ...weak plot...mediocre gameplay.... good graphics... but graphics are only gonna get better with further research... nope not much is special....

FastRedPonyCar
06-27-08, 08:55 AM
Easy answer, no.

half life, deus ex, diablo etc. thats the golden age.

+1.. I remember my senior year in HS, half life had just come out then right after I graduated, we got unreal tournament then quake 3 and counterstrike and team fortress. EVERYONE was gaming back then.

Bearclaw
06-27-08, 09:40 AM
No way. It has passed.

David power
06-27-08, 09:42 AM

never a truer word spoken,

I am a simple gamer, I like the idea of doing something you cant in real life or something you could do if things were slightly differernt,

for me, I loved Soleil on the mega drive or pokemon on the gameboy,

I got a wii so i could play metroid on the snes again, I also liked the Metroid prime series.

does any one rememebr Ascendancy on the pc? that was very good.