PDA

View Full Version : PSU's that detonate

Rampant CL
05-10-03, 07:32 AM
So about a week ago there was a trade fair / exhibition and I bought a 400W PSU.

Then a few days ago i bought some heatshrink tubing, all in the shop actually, ( <--- Mistake 1) and proceeded to heatshrink mod all the power cables in my case.

Even on the PSU which i had not yet plugged in yet. ( <--- Mistake 2)

My friend also bought the same PSU for his PC ( <--- Mistake 3)

So once i modded my psu and he modded his in the same manner he went home and tested out his new PSU.

BOOOOOOM FLASH SIZZLE!

no PSU, only bright blue and orange flames inside his case, luckily no hardware was damaged apart from the PSU (obviously....)

I went round and traced the problem, the d00d had broken a set of fan wires and twisted them back together, neglecting to keep the BARE wires out opf the way.

So satisifed that the problem was solved i went home, turned on the PC with the new 400W PSU which had not been used till now, and began to install morrowind again, when my PC turns off.

Strange, i checked the connections...

I turn it on again, and BOOOOOOM FLASH SIZZLE. It blows up as well.

SO it was the psu's from the trade fair which were defective (and low priced). One of which explains the other. So now we are preparing to stalk this guy and either:

a: Industrial heatshrink his a$$ to a lampost

b: Test out the new electrified riot prod which my firend's dad has for 'demonstration' purposes.

Demonstrate we shall.

vampireuk
05-10-03, 08:11 AM
Or you could ask for a refund;)

Riptide
05-10-03, 11:02 AM
Vampireuk has the right idea.

Ask for a refund, be nice about it. *IF* he dicks around with you then you can unload on him. It would be unwise to be confrontational right out of the gate. You're less likely to get your way.

jAkUp
05-10-03, 12:48 PM
yipes... good thing i threw away the cheap psu that came with my case:) im only gonna get enermax or antec from now on;)

The Baron
05-10-03, 01:43 PM
Never EVER skimp on a PSU. Most important part of any box.

If the PSU came with a warranty, it will cover the damage that it did. Otherwise, find the guy and kill him. ;)

And anyone else think that those computer fair things are the biggest crocks of **** ever?

vampireuk
05-10-03, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
And anyone else think that those computer fair things are the biggest crocks of **** ever?

They are only good for if you are looking for:

A) A network card

B) old collectables

anything else just do not get your wallet out

nVidi0t
05-10-03, 05:59 PM
Well, I'm the other guy who's PSU blew out.. Damn, it did take ages to heat shrink all of the wiring...

It was a Comex computer exhibition, some big companies had stands as well as smaller vendors (where we got the PDU's) and the problem is we didn't keep a receipt (dumb) and we cant remember the name of the business which occupied that stall.

Oh well, time for an Enermax PSU :)

Unless an NV35 will run with my current system spec on a 300W PSU that is.

jAkUp
05-10-03, 06:02 PM
yipes 300W's... i dunno... but definetely try to pick up an enermax or antec psu... try for a 400 or better:)

nVidi0t
05-10-03, 06:08 PM
Yeah I thought so, I'll probably order one of those nice black 450-500W dual fan PSU's from Thermaltake or Enermax. It's about time I got a decent PSU.

The Baron
05-10-03, 08:06 PM
Antec TrueBlue 480W!

Words cannot express how unfathomably good this thing is... It's even got TWO FLOPPY CONNECTORS, DAMNIT! ;)

nVidi0t
05-11-03, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Antec TrueBlue 480W!

Words cannot express how unfathomably good this thing is... It's even got TWO FLOPPY CONNECTORS, DAMNIT! ;)

Linkage??

Rampant CL
05-11-03, 06:17 AM
nvidiot, we find this guy tonight, get a refund, then break out the heatshrink.

OH EVERYBODY, we registered a new URL,

www.nvidiot.com

The sites not completely ready yet but when it is expect a good hardware software portal and other stuff (cue nvidiot)

nVidi0t
05-11-03, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I saw the domain name free so thought I could do something with it with my time before Uni.

It just points to my personal website right now, until I get something done.

vampireuk
05-11-03, 09:06 AM
Ahem, where is the link to nvnews:p

nVidi0t
05-11-03, 11:12 AM
It's coming :)

Just finishing these damn A-Level exams then I'll make another decent place for nVidia fans to hang out.