PDA

View Full Version : PS3 40GB vs 60GB vs 80GB

tornadog
06-27-08, 09:49 AM
My PS3 60Gb fan is making a lot of noise nowadays and I have decided to sell it off before it breaks as it is out of warranty. I see that I can still get upwards of 400 bucks on Ebay. So my question is should I invest in a 40gb/60gb/80gb??

In the 60gb, i was using about 20gb space total and this is after mgs4 and gt5 installs. Only yesterday while cleaning the thing I found the extra memory card slots, so I have never used them. I have used a max of 2 usb ports, one for charging my controller and the other for my usb flash drive(so 2 is all I need). The last ps2 game I played was about a year back and I havent bothered with any since.

So with all this in mind I am thinking of getting the 40Gb with the Sony card which gives me 100 back on first purchase. Is there anything I am missing that would push me towards getting an 80GB or another 60GB???

Toss3
06-27-08, 10:38 AM
My PS3 60Gb fan is making a lot of noise nowadays and I have decided to sell it off before it breaks as it is out of warranty. I see that I can still get upwards of 400 bucks on Ebay. So my question is should I invest in a 40gb/60gb/80gb??

In the 60gb, i was using about 20gb space total and this is after mgs4 and gt5 installs. Only yesterday while cleaning the thing I found the extra memory card slots, so I have never used them. I have used a max of 2 usb ports, one for charging my controller and the other for my usb flash drive(so 2 is all I need). The last ps2 game I played was about a year back and I havent bothered with any since.

So with all this in mind I am thinking of getting the 40Gb with the Sony card which gives me 100 back on first purchase. Is there anything I am missing that would push me towards getting an 80GB or another 60GB???
The 60Gb is the only one with hardware backwards compatibility with ps2 games, the 80Gb does it through emulation and the 40Gb doesn't play ps2 games at all. So if you don't play ps2 games, do go with the 40Gb. :)

LurkerLito
06-27-08, 11:30 AM
To me I'd still rather have the 60, but I would go with the 80 rather than the 40 unless I didn't use the PS3 to play many games. As a standalone BD player and an occasional game I'd get the 40, but if I want to play both about the same amount, then I'd go with the 80 since installs will be the norm and the HD space will be used up rather quickly at ~4GB per game. If your more of a game renter than a purchaser then the 40 won't be so bad as when you return the game you can erase the data cache. But if you buy a lot of games the more HD space the better so you don't have to go through the install process more than once.

Q
06-27-08, 12:23 PM
I'd replace the fan on the 60 myself.

S.I.N
06-27-08, 12:36 PM
Go with the 80GB because of the mandatory installs which keeps getting bigger and I don't see the trend stopping so that 40GB will fill up pretty quick. Also people like to gush over the 60GB hardware BC but I bet there is not one game they have that is not compatible with the 80GB.

MustangSVT
06-27-08, 12:41 PM
Can't you just hook up a big hard drive to the PS3 to use for game installations if you run out of space? I got a 40Gb myself because I couldn't find any 80Gb's for sale (they were saving them for MGS4 bundle or some crap).

tornadog
06-27-08, 01:22 PM
well hd capacity is not a bg issue...like someone said, it is so easy to put a higher capacity drive and they are going down in price every day!!!!

Lyme
06-27-08, 05:10 PM
well hd capacity is not a bg issue...like someone said, it is so easy to put a higher capacity drive and they are going down in price every day!!!!

Does the ps3 use a standard 3.5" HD or the smaller laptop ones?

Medion
06-27-08, 05:14 PM
Does the ps3 use a standard 3.5" HD or the smaller laptop ones?

2.5" SATA

tornadog
06-27-08, 05:20 PM
All in a day's work!!! Sold my ps3 60gb on ebay for 499 w/ motorstorm game + 6 bd movies, bought a new 40gb on ebay for 349-10%off-17% cashback=255...sweet!!!!

Peoples-Agent
06-27-08, 06:11 PM
Go for a 40GB and then just upgrade the hard drive, they are pretty cheap nowadays.