PDA

View Full Version : Valve: Why the PC is the future

Pages : [1] 2 3

evox
06-27-08, 05:21 PM
Don't want to start a flame war or a PC vs Console discussion, just created this thread because the article is damn brilliant.

"All of a sudden, PC games become this thing that's reliable and up-to-date," says Holtman. Team Fortress 2 designer Robin Walker weighs in, noting that the PC version of the shooter has had no less than 53 updates since its release last year - something that certification cost and time have prohibited for on console - and that this "ship continuously" ethos is a key component to the success of the best multiplayer titles. Steam, he says, makes that process fast and transparent.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=160866&page=1

H3avyM3tal
06-27-08, 05:39 PM
Well, 53 updates can also say that there were many things to fix/change. Besides, they didn't give a good example there with TF imho.
I think they are stupid nonetheless, irrelevant of them making one of the best games.

nutcrackr
06-27-08, 05:43 PM
valve is in a different ball game on PC, they practically own the platform and their games do miles better sales wise on it. Still it's good to see them push the platform.

bacon12
06-27-08, 05:49 PM
Saying that things need to be fixed or changed to make them better after release can be said about any game ever made. Valve just puts in the hours to do so instead of moving to the next cash cow like most do.

JigenD
06-27-08, 06:03 PM
What PC needs is a universal system like Steam though. The instant updates thing is one of the greatest thing about the consoles and Steam, but not all PC games use Steam of course.

Still, it's sad to see them keep bringing up BS 'points' like : "There are 260 million online PC gamers" and "if you look for a multiplayer game with the longevity and massive popularity of a WOW or a Counter-Strike on console, you won't find one"

H3avyM3tal
06-27-08, 06:57 PM
What PC needs is a universal system like Steam though. The instant updates thing is one of the greatest thing about the consoles and Steam, but not all PC games use Steam of course.

Still, it's sad to see them keep bringing up BS 'points' like : "There are 260 million online PC gamers" and "if you look for a multiplayer game with the longevity and massive popularity of a WOW or a Counter-Strike on console, you won't find one"

Indeed, and this sentence: "There are 260 million online PC gamers" and "if you look for a multiplayer game with the longevity and massive popularity of a WOW or a Counter-Strike on console, you won't find one" should have the word "yet" at the end to make it more logical. Stop being lazy and start making functional console games is another way...

nekrosoft13
06-27-08, 09:41 PM
poor console gamers always have to write some BS

JigenD
06-27-08, 10:04 PM

And now, the ****storm beings.

mullet
06-27-08, 11:59 PM
I think Valve set the bar for all other developers. God knows Epic and ID dropped the ball.

JigenD
06-28-08, 02:18 AM
I think Valve set the bar for all other developers. God knows Epic and ID dropped the ball.

MS has even dropped the ball when it comes to the functionality Steam has provided to PC users compared to what MS has provided them. I don't think id ever wanted (or tried) to do business like Valve does.

Noriega
06-28-08, 04:16 AM

+1

Kids this is an articel you dont need to agree with that and dont feel sad if they wont write that consoles are for cool and atractive people.

Gaco
06-28-08, 04:50 AM
Well, 53 updates can also say that there were many things to fix/change. Besides, they didn't give a good example there with TF imho.
I think they are stupid nonetheless, irrelevant of them making one of the best games.
That is not the case. I played TF2 right when it came out (haven't played it since) and don't remember experiencing any bugs whatsoever. I'm sure there were minor bugs I never noticed and exploits that people didn't discover until later on, but that's not the same thing. And why isn't TF2 a good example?

H3avyM3tal
06-28-08, 05:10 AM
That is not the case. I played TF2 right when it came out (haven't played it since) and don't remember experiencing any bugs whatsoever. I'm sure there were minor bugs I never noticed and exploits that people didn't discover until later on, but that's not the same thing. And why isn't TF2 a good example?

Because lots of games recieve this kind of attention, and because it says that they made alot of changes. Lots of changes can say for example that they didn't know what they intended to do from the beginning and such. Again, it is just an observation, it doesn't have to be true.
Hell even D2, an ancient game on its own received updates for more than 5 years. Valve are not the paragons of PC gaming (although Steam is amazing), even though they think that. What makes them think that there wont ever be a game like WOW on the consoles? I think that is a lie they say to themselves...

JigenD
06-28-08, 11:48 AM
+1

Kids this is an articel you dont need to agree with that and dont feel sad if they wont write that consoles are for cool and atractive people.

kids just because people point out faults with the article doesn't mean they're wrong

Noriega
06-28-08, 12:18 PM
Do you feel wrong when someone doesnt write about consoles only with superlatives? Consoles are not best in everything they are not Holy Grail so people come down on Earth.

JigenD
06-28-08, 12:20 PM
Do you feel wrong when someone doesnt write about consoles only with superlatives? Consoles are not best in everything they are not Holy Grail so people come down on Earth.

Did I say anything like that? Stop being such a fanboy and actually read what I'm typing.

Noriega
06-28-08, 12:25 PM
Where article got faults? Normal people wouldn't mind about this article but real fanboy need to flame it.

JigenD
06-28-08, 12:43 PM
Where article got faults? Normal people wouldn't mind about this article but real fanboy need to flame it.

I pointed out the faults. I didn't 'flame' the article. Only a fanboy would defend points that make no sense.

As far as I can see, it's people like you that always turn this kind of thread to ****. Get a life.

bacon12
06-28-08, 12:49 PM
I pointed out the faults. I didn't 'flame' the article. Only a fanboy would defend points that make no sense.

As far as I can see, it's people like you that always turn this kind of thread to ****. Get a life.

Yet you are the one with the most posts in this thread. :p

XDanger
06-28-08, 12:51 PM
Hopefully Steam will help create a new age of one man show programers with great ideas.
Blockbuster titles are great but lack variety.

Steam has the possibility to hit niche (pardon my french) markets.

bacon12
06-28-08, 12:54 PM
Yea but to me most games really suck, and there are only a few that I have bought this year that I don't feel like I was totally ripped off.

All these reviews sites, and tv shows are horrible and most if not all are paid to give good reviews. It is a shame but the industry is full of substandard titles, yet they still sell well. (especially on consoles)

Noriega
06-28-08, 12:55 PM

It's not BS you're thinking and understanding the writing text fault here.

260 mln ? Yes. More than 50mln play's only MMO'S but I'm sure they counted flash games too.

So show me game with such a big gaming scene like a CS or WoW. Or such a big life time with championships a lot of leagues and of course players. Maybe in future there will be but now there is none.

Destroy
06-28-08, 01:00 PM
So basically Valve likes to make games that are never finished.

JigenD
06-28-08, 01:47 PM
It's not BS you're thinking and understanding the writing text fault here.

260 mln ? Yes. More than 50mln play's only MMO'S but I'm sure they counted flash games too.

So show me game with such a big gaming scene like a CS or WoW. Or such a big life time with championships a lot of leagues and of course players. Maybe in future there will be but now there is none.

Well if you just make up stats in your head of course anything can be true. There may be 260 million people who have played a game on their PCs this year (including Solitare and Minesweeper), but there are nowhere near 50 million MMO players worldwide. The number is more like 20 million at the very most, that includes people who only occasionally play MMOs and free MMOs as well.

Halo 3 and COD4 are WAY bigger than CS right now. CS and CSS have like 200k players during peak times. WoW has a lot of subscribers, but not all of those people are constantly playing. WoW probably has about 4.5 million monthly subscribers, and the rest are in places like Korea and China where they play occasionally and pay by the hour.

BTW, here's a source on the CS players (and other games) : http://www.onlinegamingzeitgeist.com/games/

Just look at the 'currently playing' on COD4 (PS3 or 360) or Halo 3 at any time.

nekrosoft13
06-28-08, 03:48 PM
Yet you are the one with the most posts in this thread. :p

haha, be careful or he will call you a fanboy. :headexplode: