PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Pro for 299

nekrosoft13
06-27-08, 09:35 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/media/2008/06/kmartadbig.jpg

More fuel for the Xbox 360 price cut fire as Joystiq has gotten its greasy little hands on what appears to be a full-page version of the Kmart Xbox 360 price cut ad discovered yesterday. Again we see an Xbox 360 Pro console offered for the "new low price" of $299. One interesting new wrinkle, Joystiq's tipster says that the ad is for the week of July 13, not July 6. That actually makes pretty good sense, as July 13 is the week of E3, which would be a good time for Microsoft to make the announcement. So, if you still haven't taken the 360 plunge, we suggest you wait another couple of weeks because the price cut definitely looks like the real deal.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/06/27/more-price-cut-proof-full-page-kmart-ad-for-299-xbox-360/

JigenD
06-27-08, 10:07 PM
360 is the console to have the longest delays before price drops in all of gaming history. It's amazing the thing has sold as well as it has. Even now it's only as 'cheap' as PS1 and PS2 were at their launches.

While I appreciate the extra hardware in the 360 (especially at its launch), I think it was a bad business strategy to price the 360 and PS3 so highly. Worse yet a lot of people feel they need to at least get a HDTV when they get the platforms.

Buenamos
06-27-08, 10:44 PM
imo 299 for a xbox 360 is a steal. It is by far the best console I've ever owned. The titles just keep coming and coming, it's ridiculous.

crainger
06-28-08, 01:13 AM
OMG STEP UP 2 IS OUT!!!!1111

OMG

OMG

OMG
OMG
OMG
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.

Zapablast05
06-28-08, 02:05 AM
Worse yet a lot of people feel they need to at least get a HDTV when they get the platforms.

I felt that I needed an HDTV for my 360. It's like making a computer; you need everything to make it just right.

JigenD
06-28-08, 02:15 AM
I felt that I needed an HDTV for my 360. It's like making a computer; you need everything to make it just right.

Yea I did to, to the point of buying a HDTV a few months before the system even came out just for the system alone. I mean there are games that have problems with stuff like text if you don't have one. So really it's the most expensive console generation ever.

Back in 2005 when we first started hearing about the 360 and I heard the $400 price point my first thought was it'd be an incredible failure, like 3D0-level.

sytaylor
06-28-08, 09:21 AM
OMG STEP UP 2 IS OUT!!!!1111

OMG

OMG

OMG
OMG
OMG
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.

I loved the first one.

Like a child.

Zapablast05
06-28-08, 01:30 PM
Yea I did to, to the point of buying a HDTV a few months before the system even came out just for the system alone. I mean there are games that have problems with stuff like text if you don't have one. So really it's the most expensive console generation ever.

Back in 2005 when we first started hearing about the 360 and I heard the $400 price point my first thought was it'd be an incredible failure, like 3D0-level.

I ended up buying an HDTV about 3 days after I bought my 360. I somehow convinced my mom that the A/V jacks were broken on our TV so we couldn't watch movies or play games at all. We went on Black Friday to go buy a TV and the stupid thing is that the TV we bought wasn't even discounted. Every other TV was, but the one we bought. It was $1,299 and all the other "discounted" TV's were like $1,300+. We actually got the cheapest TV at retail price :| plus the ridiculously priced HDMI cable; 4 feet for $70. I went to Fry's one day and found generic gold plated HDMI cables for $4....10 foot cables. I ended up getting one of those for my cable box.

Xbox360= Most Expensive Console award. You have to pay for online play, a lot for a small amount of HDD space, buy an HDTV, and everything that has to go with an HDTV that has nothing to do with a 360, IE Digital receivers/digital cable and mounts.

JigenD
06-28-08, 02:04 PM
I ended up buying an HDTV about 3 days after I bought my 360. I somehow convinced my mom that the A/V jacks were broken on our TV so we couldn't watch movies or play games at all. We went on Black Friday to go buy a TV and the stupid thing is that the TV we bought wasn't even discounted. Every other TV was, but the one we bought. It was $1,299 and all the other "discounted" TV's were like $1,300+. We actually got the cheapest TV at retail price :| plus the ridiculously priced HDMI cable; 4 feet for $70. I went to Fry's one day and found generic gold plated HDMI cables for $4....10 foot cables. I ended up getting one of those for my cable box.

Xbox360= Most Expensive Console award. You have to pay for online play, a lot for a small amount of HDD space, buy an HDTV, and everything that has to go with an HDTV that has nothing to do with a 360, IE Digital receivers/digital cable and mounts.

Wow, that's a cringeworthy story. It reminds me too much of what I used to do, except I would be trading in the 360 the next day and rebuying it a month later. :( It's a real shame about the HDMI scamming though.

Most expensive other than PS3 which launched at $600! PS3 games also look even worse on a SDTV than 360 games IMO.

|MaguS|
06-28-08, 02:20 PM
Might pick one up if it does go on sale. Some good RPGs coming out for it soon.

NaitoSan
06-28-08, 02:40 PM

Monoprice.com for HDMI cables and stuff... and they're very cheap. I bought two and it's as good as most expensive ones. Never go for Monster cable or whatever that charges you near $100 for it.

Peoples-Agent
06-28-08, 02:56 PM
It was the 360 that prompted me to buy a HD set tbh, just felt like it had to be done.

Then onto the PS3, the need to buy an even bigger TV came along and now i'm twitching to buy a HD audio setup.

So much for PC kit being pricey.