PDA

View Full Version : How many copies do you think Diablo 3 will sell on launch week.

Pages : [1] 2 3

KasuCode
06-28-08, 12:53 PM
I know its early but I thought this would be fun.

With all the dreaming/wishing/begging/praying for a diablo 3 to come out over the past 10ish years and the HUGE fan base the game has. Not to mention the usualy small hardware requirements and not needing to worry about piracy because of bat.net. How many copies would you guess this game would sell on launch week.

Over 9 Million
8-9 Million
6-7 Million
4-5 Million
1-3 Million
Under 1 Million

Noriega
06-28-08, 01:00 PM
I bet wouldn't be one of best selling games. People prefer to buy simple, good looking and popular games. Diablo is not for everyone. It's casual/ noob players era look at autoaim in FPS :headexplode: Soo sad but soo true ; /

Badboy_12345
06-28-08, 01:08 PM
I think it will be one of the best selling games along with SC2

Everything blizzard does turns to gold

Sgt_Pitt
06-28-08, 01:15 PM
There's no option for trillions :P

SH64
06-28-08, 01:17 PM
1-3M .. (i voted less than 1M by mistake, Votefail?)

KasuCode
06-28-08, 01:17 PM
Im willing to bet it would be the best selling game as far as numbers in the first year compared to any other game.

Roliath
06-28-08, 01:20 PM
Enough people will buy this game to make it an instant best seller.

|MaguS|
06-28-08, 01:22 PM
It's over 9000!

NaitoSan
06-28-08, 01:27 PM
Diablo 2 sold near 3 million copies so I'm betting Diablo 3 will sell as much or more. After all, it's from Blizzard so they will sell. They tend to market their games ALOT.

JigenD
06-28-08, 01:37 PM
I'd say about 1.5 million - 2 million.

No game has ever sold more than ~3.5 million worldwide in a week (if I'm correct), so most of these choices are absurd.

Im willing to bet it would be the best selling game as far as numbers in the first year compared to any other game.

What do I get when you're wrong?

Diablo 2 sold near 3 million copies so I'm betting Diablo 3 will sell as much or more. After all, it's from Blizzard so they will sell. They tend to market their games ALOT.

This is one week we're talking about.

NaitoSan
06-28-08, 01:45 PM
I'd say about 1.5 million - 2 million.

No game has ever sold more than ~3.5 million worldwide in a week (if I'm correct), so most of these choices are absurd.

What do I get when you're wrong?

This is one week we're talking about.
Guess you didn't look around. GTA IV sold 6 million copies on first week. 3.6 million copies on first day alone.

KasuCode
06-28-08, 01:45 PM

Gaming community is way bigger now then it ever was. 3 million for diablo 2 back then is like 6 million today. Also have to think about how the fan base has built up over the years. diablo 2 was such a great game and almost every pc gamer has played it at least once. Diablo 2 really gave the diablo series a Huge name for itself with the success of the game. Diablo 2 is still a very much played game 8 years after its release and is still supported and patched by blizzard to this day.

NaitoSan
06-28-08, 01:49 PM
Gaming community is way bigger now then it ever was. 3 million for diablo 2 back then is like 6 million today. Also have to think about how the fan base has built up over the years. diablo 2 was such a great game and almost ever pc gamer has played it at least once. Diablo 2 really gave the diablo series a Huge name for itself with the success of the game. Diablo 2 is still a very much played game 8 years after its release and is still supported and patched by blizzard to this day.
That's true. I'm amazed they recently patched Diablo 2 to 1.12. Just few days ago, I started playing Diablo 2. It holds up very well.

JigenD
06-28-08, 01:50 PM
Guess you didn't look around. GTA IV sold 6 million copies on first week. 3.6 million copies on first day alone.

OK NM then.

How many did WoW and Frozen Throne sell the first week?

[edit : I mean WoW BC, not FT, I'm really out of it... According to wiki BC sold ~2.5 million in 24 hours but ~3.5 in a month

Anyways, I'll say Diablo 3 will sell like 3 million first week maybe.]

[edit 2 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_II Diablo 2 sold "more than 1 million units sold in the first two weeks of availability"]

NaitoSan
06-28-08, 02:36 PM
[edit 2 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_II Diablo 2 sold "more than 1 million units sold in the first two weeks of availability"]
That was in 2000. The gaming community has grown much larger since then, thanks to next-gen consoles and rapid growth of pc gaming.

JigenD
06-28-08, 02:41 PM
That was in 2000. The gaming community has grown much larger since then, thanks to next-gen consoles and rapid growth of pc gaming.

I think the Wii is the only thing that has really expanded the gaming community since then, but Blizzard has way more focus on the PC side because of WoW now. That's why I'd think D3 will sell more than D2, at least at launch.

Zapablast05
06-28-08, 02:47 PM
Ok, Korea it's self is going to be like 6 million.

JigenD
06-28-08, 02:48 PM
Ok, Korea it's self is going to be like 6 million.

There aren't that many internet cafes in Korea.

KasuCode
06-28-08, 03:37 PM
I would say 6-8 Million and over 10 Million within a year after release.

NaitoSan
06-28-08, 04:26 PM
I think the Wii is the only thing that has really expanded the gaming community since then, but Blizzard has way more focus on the PC side because of WoW now. That's why I'd think D3 will sell more than D2, at least at launch.
Wii doesn't exist a bit after 2000. Wii came out last year. Before Wii, gaming community has grew since then. Half of people who owns Wii are probably kids or grandparents, who probably never played Diablo. ;)

So, more likely PS2 and some PC releases / first dual core processor / powerful video card that helped boost the gaming community.

TheANIMAL
06-28-08, 04:38 PM
It's over 9000!

What! 9000?!

CaptNKILL
06-28-08, 06:08 PM
I bet wouldn't be one of best selling games. People prefer to buy simple, good looking and popular games. Diablo is not for everyone. It's casual/ noob players era look at autoaim in FPS :headexplode: Soo sad but soo true ; /

No offense, but Diablo isn't exactly rocket science.

Its about as straight forward as an action RPG can get. You click on bad guys, you click on any good items they drop, you use the items that make it easier to kill bad guys, and you kill enough bad guys to make your character better at killing bad guys.

It may be very good at what it does, but its still a pretty accessible game. The popularity of the first two showed that.

If millions of people can play WoW, they can play Diablo.

... but first they have to buy it. If they never stop playing WoW, Diablo III might actually sell poorly. :p

nutcrackr
06-28-08, 06:33 PM
Maybe a few million, not sure honestly. Will depend on hype buildup and release dates.

jAkUp
06-29-08, 12:38 AM
I say close to a million.

K007
06-29-08, 12:50 AM
I know i will be getting it on release day....i just hope that day isn't really too far.

This is of course just an announcement at this point, but it does mean one very important thing. It's time to start stockpiling those mice, because a lot of Left Mouse Button clicking is in all of our futures.