PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand why Vista 64bit is so hard to keep working

Pages : [1] 2 3

john19055
06-29-08, 12:01 PM
I took out two sticks of my memory and fineally got it to install ,but still I am haveing nothing but hell .I have install all updates and I reset my cmos and put the other two stick of memory back in and it worked for a while or at least until I turned off my computer .Now today I started it back up and trouble all over again.First it would'nt even load up just get to the screen where the green bar goes across and hang .I rebooted serval times and the same thing and then I started getting my Blue screens Of Death.I reset the the cmos and it fineally loaded up .I thought Vista Ultimate 64bit was going to be easy .I never had any blue screens with my win -XP .I try to get help and I hear it not the vista 64bit's fault it must be the operators fault.I have used ever window product since windows 3.1 and never had this kind of problems.All this hell just because I wanted to get all my four gigs to work and I have'nt got it to work long enough to even try a game.What could my problem be .I ran each of my sticks of memory with memtest and it says my memory is fine .I have took my SLI out and just running one card.I have reset Cmos two or tree times now.I have a Evga 680i SLI (A1) board .Do I have something turned on in my bois that should be .Any one with my basic set-up and is haveing no problem with Vista Ultimate 64bit and running four 1 gig sticks of memory (Corsair 1066 dominator) running at 800mhz,could you offer some pointers,is there a update that I need. any help would be apreciated. I am about just to give up and go back to windows -XP which I have no problems.I just been working with this for 6 days now.

wwec
06-29-08, 12:07 PM
Release version used to blue screen me with 4gb in, SP1 fixed it.

john19055
06-29-08, 12:12 PM
I got SPI install and still have blue screens.

john19055
06-29-08, 12:23 PM
What debuging tool do I need to use one says it is for Native Itanium and the other says it is for Native x64,but when I download the native for 64bit it has AMD in front of it so do I need to use the Native Itanium 64bit one.

crainger
06-29-08, 04:45 PM
Honestly, go back to XP. Sometimes there are issues that can only be solved with trying different combinations of drivers and you have to weight up the options, do you spend months trying every drive made in the past year or so, or do you simply go back to what works?

Redeemed
06-29-08, 04:49 PM
Honestly, go back to XP. Sometimes there are issues that can only be solved with trying different combinations of drivers and you have to weight up the options, do you spend months trying every drive made in the past year or so, or do you simply go back to what works?

QFT.

Not sure if you got this or not, but try installing the 4GB hotfix. I couldn't get my install stable untill Grey_1 reminded me about the hotfix. Now I've got all 8GB installed and it is working like a dream.

crainger
06-29-08, 05:02 PM
Isn't the hotfix part of SP1?

grey_1
06-29-08, 07:31 PM

The only thing that worked for me was, in order, install vista64 with 2gb in>install hotfix> install the other 2gb> then SP1 and other updates.

Or install SP1 with only 2gb installed.

On a side note I was forced to reinstall today. One of the recent beta drivers, not sure which, as I tried 3 or 4 within 2 days of each other. Really hosed my OS. repair option wouldn't work, sysrestore didn't - nothing. BSOD hell.

EDIT: Linky (http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=173725&mpage=1&key=) for hotfix and instructions.

wwec
06-29-08, 07:47 PM
It is, when I tried an SP1 slipstream image (yes I have a purchased key) setup was fine with 4GB installed, unlike with the original release.

nekrosoft13
06-29-08, 07:47 PM
having 4 machines running vista 64bit, (ok, well one is server 2008). i never had any major issues.

I just don't understand how can it be so hard for some people.

ViN86
06-29-08, 07:51 PM
having 4 machines running vista 64bit, (ok, well one is server 2008). i never had any major issues.

I just don't understand how can it be so hard for some people.

i have run Vista on two different machines. both installed without a hitch. my brother and father have also installed without a hitch on their machines. i dont get it either.

nekrosoft13
06-29-08, 08:16 PM
machine 1: Q6600 @ 3.3ghz, 4gb DDR2, GTX 280
machine 2: T7250 @ 2.0ghz, 4gb DDR2, 8600M GT
machine 3: 9550 X4 @ 2.2ghz, 4gb DDR2, 7600 GT = server 2008
machine 4: 4200 X2 @ 2.2ghz, 1gb DDR, 6200 GT

machine 5: 4400 X2, 2gb DDR = planning stage

Starscream
06-29-08, 11:09 PM
If you haven't memtest with ALL the memory installed. Let memtest86 run for at the very least 24 hours, 48+ is a good idea though. Also the MS Memtest in extended mode for at least that duration.

I suspect you're having a hardware issue with the ram if the os won't install with all of it in and you only get bluescreens with all of it.

Redeemed
06-30-08, 12:31 AM
If you haven't memtest with ALL the memory installed. Let memtest86 run for at the very least 24 hours, 48+ is a good idea though. Also the MS Memtest in extended mode for at least that duration.

I suspect you're having a hardware issue with the ram if the os won't install with all of it in and you only get bluescreens with all of it.

Not entirely. I had comparable issues with my rig. It'd work fine with 2GB... doesn't matter how it was paired. But as soon as I used more than 2GB I got the BSODs. Then grey reminded me of that 4GB hotfix. Once I installed that I no longer had any problems.

And I did run Memtest86 extensively on all the RAM. Not a single issue. I recommend making sure that hotfix is installed first. If it is installed, then the problem very well might be hardware.

Sazar
06-30-08, 01:10 AM
I took out two sticks of my memory and fineally got it to install ,but still I am haveing nothing but hell .I have install all updates and I reset my cmos and put the other two stick of memory back in and it worked for a while or at least until I turned off my computer .Now today I started it back up and trouble all over again.First it would'nt even load up just get to the screen where the green bar goes across and hang .I rebooted serval times and the same thing and then I started getting my Blue screens Of Death.I reset the the cmos and it fineally loaded up .I thought Vista Ultimate 64bit was going to be easy .I never had any blue screens with my win -XP .I try to get help and I hear it not the vista 64bit's fault it must be the operators fault.I have used ever window product since windows 3.1 and never had this kind of problems.All this hell just because I wanted to get all my four gigs to work and I have'nt got it to work long enough to even try a game.What could my problem be .I ran each of my sticks of memory with memtest and it says my memory is fine .I have took my SLI out and just running one card.I have reset Cmos two or tree times now.I have a Evga 680i SLI (A1) board .Do I have something turned on in my bois that should be .Any one with my basic set-up and is haveing no problem with Vista Ultimate 64bit and running four 1 gig sticks of memory (Corsair 1066 dominator) running at 800mhz,could you offer some pointers,is there a update that I need. any help would be apreciated. I am about just to give up and go back to windows -XP which I have no problems.I just been working with this for 6 days now.

A coupla things.

First of all, are you adjusting the voltages for the RAM to the recommended amounts? I had to with my Corsair modules on my motherboard else it would not run stable.

Secondly, what version of Vista are you running? Are you running the RTM version or the Checked/Debug version? If the latter, you will get nothing but issues as this version is for developers and removes most of the optimizations within Vista and implements addition run cycles for certain things. Drivers will not function correctly and you will get blue-screens frequently.

nekrosoft13
06-30-08, 06:52 AM
Not entirely. I had comparable issues with my rig. It'd work fine with 2GB... doesn't matter how it was paired. But as soon as I used more than 2GB I got the BSODs. Then grey reminded me of that 4GB hotfix. Once I installed that I no longer had any problems.

And I did run Memtest86 extensively on all the RAM. Not a single issue. I recommend making sure that hotfix is installed first. If it is installed, then the problem very well might be hardware.

if he is running SP1 like he mentioned it already includes that hotfix

malachi1313
06-30-08, 12:43 PM
I think his biggest problem is the 680i motherboard he is running. I have a 780i that I was using and had nothing but issues. Freezes, data corruption ,coasters when burning dvd's, blue screens..you name it. Was using it to sli 2 8800gt's and I had said screw it. Went back to my Badaxe 2 and 8800gtx. I will never use an nforce chipset again. It has something to do with the sata ports/drivers. Had 1 of them just die for no reason. Also monitoring temps my northbridge/mcp temps would regularly exceed 60 celsious. I never had these issues when using the intel motherboard.

nekrosoft13
06-30-08, 12:56 PM
3 of my machines are nforce based, yet I have zero problems. stop pointing fingers.

this is ram related.

mailman2
06-30-08, 01:13 PM
Just go back to XP. Don't see how it could be a ram issue if its not bsod'ing in XP. However, this is why with an Intel chip I stick with Intel chipsets. I think the 680 series is just problematic.

ViN86
06-30-08, 01:53 PM

sounds like an issue with the memory on the mobo.

S.SubZero
06-30-08, 07:58 PM
I recently threw this together:

Intel E8400
Intel DP35DP motherboard
4x2GB Mushkin RAM
8800GT video card

I popped in Vista Business x64 SP1 and installed it. Not a hiccup. 8GB running great, Superfetch even found enough stuff to fill the 8GB with cache data. I'm not sure I want to know what it found.

jcrox
06-30-08, 11:42 PM
have you tried reformatting and reinstalling the OS? I for some reason had issues with my initial install of x64, after formatting the drive and reinstalling it worked fine.

mullet
06-30-08, 11:42 PM
memtest, prime95, done!

Badboy_12345
07-01-08, 07:22 AM
I have installed vista 64 with and without sp1 on a system with 4x1gb ram without any problems at all.

The ram sticks were also overclocked

I think its a hardware problem people are having

yeah and I also have a 680i mb

ViN86
07-01-08, 08:45 AM
Just go back to XP. Don't see how it could be a ram issue if its not bsod'ing in XP. However, this is why with an Intel chip I stick with Intel chipsets. I think the 680 series is just problematic.

RAM issues dont always trigger BSOD's. windows will turn off the computer to save itself if the memory error is severe enough. i had a corrupted memory slot on my old A8N-SLI Deluxe board and my pc would turn off whenever errors occurred instead of showing a BSOD.