PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Titles coming to PSN?

|MaguS|
06-30-08, 01:54 PM
New rumor time now that firmware 2.40 is official and coming wensday.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/06/30/rumor-ps2-games-coming-to-the-psn/

http://kotaku.com/397515/ps2-games-coming-to-psn

A poster on the N4G forums posted the image that accompanies this post, showing a supposed PlayStation 2 game store for the PlayStation Network, to be announced at E3 in a couple of weeks. It clearly shows Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty available for purchase for 12.99, along with several other games, many of which were PlayStation 2 launch titles - Bouncer, Fantavision, etc.

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=32169&stc=1&d=1214852056

JigenD
06-30-08, 02:21 PM
I see Smuggler's Run, I had a lot of fun with that game.

nekrosoft13
06-30-08, 02:24 PM
so this is why they slowly took away backward compability

LurkerLito
06-30-08, 03:44 PM
I knew they were going to do this the second MS started offering old XBox games for purchase and people were happy to buy the games. For small games I don't mind digital downloads on consoles but for larger games I refuse. I want rental shops like Game Fly around for as long as I play games. The last thing I'd ever want is a situation where the only way you could play the full game is to buy it or rent it via a digital distribution method with some artificial time limit.

LORD-eX-Bu
06-30-08, 04:03 PM
I can't wait for MGS3 :D

Bman212121
06-30-08, 04:25 PM
I knew they were going to do this the second MS started offering old XBox games for purchase and people were happy to buy the games. For small games I don't mind digital downloads on consoles but for larger games I refuse. I want rental shops like Game Fly around for as long as I play games. The last thing I'd ever want is a situation where the only way you could play the full game is to buy it or rent it via a digital distribution method with some artificial time limit.

The PSN has had PS1 titles for a long time now, this is just expanding the market to more titles.

It will be interesting to see how big the downloads will be for certain games. When the PS2 came out there were a few titles still on cds, but a lot of the newer titles probably fill a single layer DVD. Then again they already distribute games like Warhawk, so it might not be too much of a stretch.

Bman212121
06-30-08, 04:30 PM

Not necessarly. if you already have ton of PS2 games then it might not work out of the best. Chances are you can download the games cheaper than you could buy them new, so your not really losing out there and availability will be better.

A game I thought was kind of fun was Tekkin Tag Tournament. It would probably still cost like $20 to buy it and then you'd have to try to hunt down where to get it. If you could get it from the PSN store for like $15, it's a better deal to do it that route.

Severian126
06-30-08, 04:35 PM
So this is why I can't play my PS2 games on my PS3. Stupid crap. At least with the 360 I still have the option of popping the original Xbox disc in there and play.

|MaguS|
06-30-08, 04:37 PM
So this is why I can't play my PS2 games on my PS3. Stupid crap. At least with the 360 I still have the option of popping the original Xbox disc in there and play.

If its compatible...

Im glad all 125 PS2 games I own are compatible with my PS3. :D

Severian126
06-30-08, 04:38 PM
Yeah I know. Just me venting. I love my PS3 right now, but it still irritates me that I have to keep my PS2 plugged in. Minor issue, but oh well.

ralinn
06-30-08, 04:59 PM
****, I've wet myself again!

Ninja Prime
06-30-08, 06:26 PM
Uhhh how is that gonna work? Does anyone really want to download 8GB? I mean, even if you have a realitively fast connection, it will take like 2 days or more. In those 2 days I could have walked to the store and bought a copy of any PS2 game for less than they are charging.

Severian126
06-30-08, 06:28 PM
If it's anything like Live, I normally set it to download in the background while I play a game. If you're the impatient type, it probably wont' be a great idea.

|MaguS|
06-30-08, 06:59 PM
Uhhh how is that gonna work? Does anyone really want to download 8GB? I mean, even if you have a realitively fast connection, it will take like 2 days or more. In those 2 days I could have walked to the store and bought a copy of any PS2 game for less than they are charging.

Not many PS2 titles used dual layer disc's, also I dout many also filled a complete DVD. Compression and removal of dummy space would shrink it down. I mean GT:P is about that size and Warhawk is almost 2GB.

It could possibly download partially and allow you to play while you download the rest in the background. Theres a service that allows that now... if I could only remember the name...

NarcissistZero
06-30-08, 10:13 PM
I keep hearing they might add a completely software based BC ability to every PS3, which would be nice. This seems to support that, since for even downloads to work they would need some kind of completely software based emulation in place.

I have a 60GB and every PS2 game worth keeping, so I guess I don't care much.

Ninja Prime
07-01-08, 12:43 AM
Not many PS2 titles used dual layer disc's, also I dout many also filled a complete DVD. Compression and removal of dummy space would shrink it down. I mean GT:P is about that size and Warhawk is almost 2GB.

It could possibly download partially and allow you to play while you download the rest in the background. Theres a service that allows that now... if I could only remember the name...

I remember that too, but I cant remember the name either, it was something similar to gametap. I don't think a PS2 game would work that way though, as I recall, theres too much stuff that would have to be downloaded before hand. Might could get it to work like halfway through the download or something, if they arranged the data right, like front loaded the engine, first few levels sounds, textures, data, ect, then just updated content from there.

Sounds like more trouble than its worth though, from the developer point of view. My question is why so expensive? 26 bucks for old PS2 games?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8763714&st=metal+gear&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1203815241109

I could buy all three for $3 more.

Bman212121
07-01-08, 10:10 AM
Just found a little video at [H] with some more info about the update. This is actually going to be pretty sweet. Not only does it have the in game XMB but you can also play your own music in game. :captnkill: Hopefully it works with the streaming music option as well.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzMzNzgsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

NarcissistZero
07-01-08, 11:01 AM
Sony has denied the rumors.

Q
07-01-08, 11:08 AM

I've never agreed with you more.

|MaguS|
07-01-08, 12:07 PM
Sony has denied the rumors.

SCEA has denied the rumor but the thing is this leaked shot is said to come from SCEE...

Mr. Hunt
07-01-08, 01:12 PM
Oh wow... saw this post last night but paid little attention... I hope it is true because Bouncer was awesome... don't know why people hated it (I guess because it wasn't a FF game :\)... but I loved it... me wants.

Marvel_us
07-01-08, 02:07 PM
Won't get my hopes up. In game xmb and trophies are good enough for me in this update. Soundtracks won't work will all my current games so don't really care about that too much right now.