PDA

View Full Version : 360 dying, how long do I have?

Yaboze
07-01-08, 11:35 AM
Last night, my 360 locked up 3x with a blue checkerboard pattern overlayed on the frozen screen. After that, it was fine for a while, then I shut down. The games were GRID Demo and Burnout Paradise full version.

I heard that's a precursor to the RROD. I'd rather have it fail, I think, to possibly get a better one.

How long do you think I have before it's totally dead?

It's a year old and has never had any issues until now.

ViN86
07-01-08, 11:42 AM
mine died in two days. i had mine since Fall 06 with no issues. then in early 08 i got a lockup one day, rebooted fine, then the next day it red-ringed.

it's impossible to tell when it will happen lol :|

CapnKirk
07-01-08, 11:46 AM
Last night, my 360 locked up 3x with a blue checkerboard pattern overlayed on the frozen screen. After that, it was fine for a while, then I shut down. The games were GRID Demo and Burnout Paradise full version.

I heard that's a precursor to the RROD. I'd rather have it fail, I think, to possibly get a better one.

1 do you have the intercooler on the back?
2 do you blow the dust out with canned air?
3 did you get extended warrenty?

if you said no to 1 and 2, not long...

Yaboze
07-01-08, 12:00 PM
Since day 1, I have had it upright, no extra cooling, I have central air in my house, it's always comfortable and there's plenty of space around the whole console.

After the 3rd lockup, I turned it off, let it cool, then used a air duster can on the back and all other open spots. I didn't see anything come out or anything.

I then was able to play for an hour or more with no issues.

I'm going to play a while tonight and see what happens. I don't think I can take months of lockups, I'd rather have it die quickly so I can get the repair/replacement.

NarcissistZero
07-01-08, 12:04 PM
I've had three different systems and all of them had some freezes early in their lives... it was not a precursor to total failure, I think it was just the systems getting used to the heat.

Even my newest system, a so-called "falcon" that is supposed to be immune to RRODs, freezes once in a rare while.

The key with yours is the graphical irregularities... that has never happened to me, on a RROD machine or otherwise.

Lyme
07-01-08, 01:13 PM
I had that happen on my first 360. Depending on how much you play it, it will result in the RROD. I'd suggest calling MS now, and saying that the checkerboard pattern would come up with the RROD. By the time you have received the materials to return it in (unless they sped that up), it should be good and dead.

crainger
07-01-08, 04:46 PM

No Yaboze, your 360 is already dead. ::cool::

Mathesar
07-01-08, 08:33 PM
Its a goner, call MS for a replacement.

I fixed my launch 360 (out of warranty) using the X-clamp method .it had the same symptoms as yours for about 2 days before RROD. But since I've done the X-clamp repair its been flawless for 3 months so far.

EciDemon
07-02-08, 04:36 AM
If you get lockups i hear its better to turn off and turn on the console again and let it idle for a while in the guide menues.

The console might be very hot when you turn it off, so by turning it on again and let it sit there, the "cooling" can do its job ...

LycosV
07-02-08, 10:50 AM
If you get lockups i hear its better to turn off and turn on the console again and let it idle for a while in the guide menues.

The console might be very hot when you turn it off, so by turning it on again and let it sit there, the "cooling" can do its job ...

My experience has been that it gets just as hot in the guide menu as it does playing a game. Weird but seems to be true.

Yaboze
07-10-08, 02:57 PM
Update.

I used my 360 on and off since this first happened, about 10 days ago.

Last night, it locked in the system menus after being on for less than 5 minutes. I turned it off and back on and got the RROD.

I called MS from work and they were trying to troubleshoot, but I told them I had the RROD and they wanted to know the color of the light on the power brick. She said they need to at least find that out to proceed. I guess they are trying to rule some basic things out, but I know this thing is toast. I was slightly annoyed. So now I have call from home and give them the scoop.

What sucks is that although I love the 360, I'm mainly a PC gamer. The 360 wasn't heavily used. It was in the upright position since day one in a clean and air conditioned environment, never left on for hours when not being used or anything. There are times when it wasn't turned on for a week or more.

Anyway, it was a year old and the mfr date is 8/12/06. So it was almost a year old when I bought it (new). I just renewed Xbox Live Gold, too. :(