PDA

View Full Version : Remote Desktop & Vista Home

Tr1cK
07-01-08, 03:29 PM
I'm a big time user of RDP. I upgraded to Vista Home Premium and then found it there is no support for RDP in it. LAME. I can't justify spending $80 or so more for Ultimate to get RDP in Vista. I've seen hacks and what not to put RDP into Home, but I don't quite trust throwing a hacked terminal server dll on my machine.

Anyone have any suggestions?

nekrosoft13
07-01-08, 04:47 PM
should have bought Vista Business?

Tr1cK
07-01-08, 04:58 PM
should have bought Vista Business?

Probably should have gotten Ultimate. I may have to resort to using TightVNC.

Tr1cK
07-02-08, 12:29 PM
TightVNC isn't fully compatible with Vista right now. I have it as a server at home and tried the client at work and cause a home system crash. Right now, I have it going using UltraVNC for the client and it seems to be ok. I will put UltraVNC server up at home and check how it works tomorrow.

Q
07-02-08, 01:01 PM
You could use Logmein.com as a temporary solution. It is a free service for basic RDP.

Tr1cK
07-02-08, 01:18 PM
You could use Logmein.com as a temporary solution. It is a free service for basic RDP.

The free version doesn't have file transfers which are highly important.

Q
07-02-08, 02:01 PM
If you really need the file transfers, you should look at an SSH client. I can't live without WinSSHD and Tunnelier. That way you could just get your files, but you still wouldn't have RDP.

Tr1cK
07-02-08, 02:10 PM
Last time I did that at work, the IT guy came in and checked out my PC to see where "a bunch of traffic is coming from." He couldn't find a thing because it is all on my portable drive and he didn't check what processes were running. LOL I was running a secure tunnel with SSH for my worktime browsing, but I don't really need it anymore because I'm not on the net as much now.

I do need both the desktop access and file transfer abilities.