View Full Version : Loooking to Update! Suggestions Please

07-01-08, 03:07 PM
Budget for UPGRADE: $1,200.00

Items that will be getting an upgrade.

Computer Case - Mid Tower

1 Hard Drive (WD Raptor OEM 150GB)

4 to 8 GB of RAM Using Vista

Mother Board Switching to Intel (Really need help on deciding)

Processor Have my eye on the Yorkfield Q9300 2.5 to overclock

Power Supply

Video Card Question: I have a (8800GTS 640) should I upgrade the video card or just buy another 8800 for the SLI. Right now only $179 with $30 rebate at new egg.

I mean how much really will a second 8800 help with any performance? (NOT CRYSIS)

Thanks 4 the help

07-02-08, 02:25 PM
If you're going to even think about SLI in the future you must acquire an SLI capable MB. That means no IBM Northbridge chipsets.

(you better decide real soon as inventory may dry up quickly on those older 8800's)

I was going along the same thought process 2 years ago, when my GPU was orphaned. I decided to skip SLI on my latest build and spent on X48 MB. (maybe a waste, time will tell)

07-02-08, 07:21 PM
Well i guess a video card is the least of my concerns

I want quad-core (Which i think my best bet is the Q9300 and then over clock) but i want a good motherboard to go with it.) Just trying to keep everything under 1200 bucks

07-02-08, 07:22 PM
Oh and i know im going to get sh*t for this one but ... those alienware cases are calling my name.. And yes i know how stupid it is just to get one.. but they look so sweeet.