PDA

View Full Version : My terrible experience with SLI...

Lfctony
07-02-08, 12:18 PM
This is a vent and a long post, so bear with me.

So, I got 2 GTX 280s. Can't have one sitting around. I decide to change my trusty P35 motherboard to an 780i board, keep my DDR-2 ram etc. I got the Striker II Formula. Connected everything fine, post nice, both cards on. The the thing shuts down during Vista's installation...

I start it again and see a northbridge overheating warning... Temp was 82C and rising. I install an old fan, temps go back to bearable. Windows is installed, SLI is working, one of the two cards is a bit hot. I go to bed, and I'll fix it tomorrow, I say.

Start the PC in the morning, haven't changed anything, fire up Furmark again, 60 seconds into the test, it locks up. Thought it was the overclocking (got it to 3Ghz like with my old P35 without changing any voltage settings). But, I got the dreaded CPU INIT error, which is a "privilege" of Asus Extreme boards! Pack the motherboard, send back by courier. Apparently the only board they had left was the Formula II. They send me another one.

Connect the new board, post fine, go into bios to check temp. PC locks up. I shut down. CPU INIT again... :headexplode: I pack the board, send it back and ask for store credit, they say ok.

I call up another shop, got myself an MSI P7N Diamond. Connect the board, start it up, no friggin post. :headexplode: Changed CPUs and ram, no go. Board apparently DOA. Backplate was also missing? Strange. Was the board used? Will return tomorrow.

What is it with nForce boards? Why so many problems? Why can't they just work like Intel chipset boards?

I'm so disappointed right now...

Medion
07-02-08, 12:23 PM
My last 3 boards were as follows:

nForce 4 Ultra - Still "works" if you can call it that. North/southbridge fan died, but the heatsink works well enough. USB ports are "dying" since whenever I transfer large amounts of data via USB, the system crashes.

nForce 4 SLI - Fan died, mobo overheated, onboard audio died. Replaced fan and got X-fi. Fan died again, mobo overheated, whole thing **** the bed. Waiting on RMA.

nForce 650i Ultra - Doesn't like driver updates, have had to reformat Windows and pre-load the latest SATA RAID drivers every time I wanted to update. Otherwise, so far so good. Southbridge is naked, but I don't overclock. Still, I'm going to buy a heatsink to at least cover it and extend its life.

spajdr
07-02-08, 12:45 PM
Bad luck, i dont have problem with overheating, but surely its important to have good airflow in case.

Lfctony
07-02-08, 01:02 PM
What, better airflow than a Thermaltake Armor blowing with a 25cm fan from the side? Not to count the other 4 fans the case has... The Striker II Formula has a terrible NB cooling solution...

nekrosoft13
07-02-08, 01:07 PM
i have 3 nforce boards currently being used (680i, nforce4 sli, nforce gf8200) with zero problems. I have 4th board based on nforce 4 ultra, currently waiting for few components to build another cheap machine, this board was previously used in different system for maybe 4+ years with no issues.

bacon12
07-02-08, 01:12 PM
It is funny as they seem to work fine or are a pain in the ass. One of the best mb I have ever owned a Nforce 5 is in my sig. Stable as anyone could ever ask for over a year now.

Lfctony
07-02-08, 03:09 PM
The damn thing won't sell... :(

spajdr
07-02-08, 03:16 PM
What, better airflow than a Thermaltake Armor blowing with a 25cm fan from the side? Not to count the other 4 fans the case has... The Striker II Formula has a terrible NB cooling solution...

They are surely much worse cooling solutions, maybe there is not enough pressure on chip or there is not enough thermal paste applied on chip, that 25cm fan from side wont do much job, its slow. I never got more then 65C on NB, even under high load.

walterman
07-02-08, 03:50 PM
I have the Thermaltake Black Armor, and the cooling performance of the case is excellent.

Mr_LoL
07-02-08, 03:53 PM
I tries to build my brother an sli rig with the 780i. Data corruption when windows was installed put paid to that. Thank God for the x38.

Lfctony
07-02-08, 04:01 PM
They are surely much worse cooling solutions, maybe there is not enough pressure on chip or there is not enough thermal paste applied on chip, that 25cm fan from side wont do much job, its slow. I never got more then 65C on NB, even under high load.

You're lucky man, I've read some horror stories around then net. Anyway, I might pick up an eVGA 780i in the next few days. I very much doubt I'll sell my GTX 280. The market is too small over here. I could ebay it... for 550e...

spajdr
07-02-08, 04:16 PM
You're lucky man, I've read some horror stories around then net. Anyway, I might pick up an eVGA 780i in the next few days. I very much doubt I'll sell my GTX 280. The market is too small over here. I could ebay it... for 550e...

I got problems with some older asus mobo with 680i chipset, BSOD all the time, i needed to exchange NB and SB cooling, but its mainly nvidia fault, that they make these hot chips with alot of bugs too.

MicroZ28
07-03-08, 07:16 AM
In my experience with nforce boards is that 90% of the time ,it is ram issues that cause me the most problems.For whatever reason it was always the ram timings or voltage i had to mess with.I would get lock-ups just like you are describing and windows installs would lock-up too.

hell_of_doom227
07-03-08, 12:47 PM
1. You don't overclock system before you actually test whole configuration at stock.
2. Secondly Nforce Chipset is great, never had problems with them
Nforce 4 SLI - still working
Nforce 590SLI AMD - still working
Nforce 680SLI Intel - i killed it (board was bended big time, still have no clue how it managed to perform for 3 months before it died)
Nforce 780SLI Intel running right now with zero problems.
3. Did you try to unplug one card and runs system with single GTX280.
4. I think your problem is PSU.
5. There are bad GTX280 cards. I RMAd eVGA GTX280 got new one...things don't go over 76C after 3 hours of playing Crysis.
6. Generally two cards in SLI will run a bit hotter, but also rules says that primary card should be hotter for about 2-4C at most while they are running together.

hell_of_doom227
07-03-08, 12:49 PM
Is this your PSU SuperFlower Amptac 850W PSU?

You have to be ****ing kidding me...you need 1000W PSU with 2x6pin and 2x8pin connectors.

Lfctony
07-03-08, 01:06 PM
Man, which part of NO POST don't you understand? And the friggin PSU is fine. It powered both cards for 3-4 hours before I got the errors... Did you even bother to read my post? Both cards are fine.... Read, THEN bitch.... You couldn't even be more ignorant... The PSU has 6 12V+ rails, maximum of 68A combined and has 2 PCIe 6p and 2 PCIe 8p... There goes your theory and drop the attitude...

Xion X2
07-04-08, 06:01 PM
You'll have to excuse hell of doom. He appears to be one of those typical fanboys who feels obligated to defend anything and everything said about his precious company while ignoring the facts.

I can relate to your troubles. 3 dead 680is and 1 dead 650i in a span of 3 months. 2 of those boards were never overclocked. All were well-maintained.

On the other side of the coin, I've owned 5 or 6 Intel boards over the years and never had a single issue with any of them.

john19055
07-05-08, 04:27 AM
I have the 680i SLI and have not had no problems running SLI and never had my Evga 680i sli ever go bad,but maybe I am just one of the lucky ones. I don' have the new GTX-280,but I have read the power draw of one is 292watts and with SLI it draws around 508watts with them not over clocked at max load.So your power supply should be plenty as long as it is working alright.I know I had a problem with my 8800GTS 640mb SLI setup once and everone kept saying it was my prower supply and I kept saying there is no way because I had a Thermaltake toughpower 700watt and it had four 12v rails and put out a total of 56amps,but i boke down and bought a Silverstone OP650watt that had a single rail 12v line and put out 54amps and to my surprise the rebooting stop and the lockups and other probles just went away and it worked perfect.And if you have got different boards and they are different brands to and they both lock up and mess up ,I would start looking somewhere else instead of just saying it is the nforce boards .Your power supply might be fine ,but it would'nt hurt to try a different one just to make sure.Because even tho I thought my power supply was fine it turned out to been the problem ,I sent it back and they sent me a new T.T.700watt and it worked fine ,but I stuck with silverstone since I had such good luck with them.

Lfctony
07-05-08, 07:22 AM
John I appreciate your comments, but as I said, all of my problems were hardware related, and all were the motherboard's fault. The first setup worked for 3-4 hours until the board suddenly died(freeze, restart, CPU INIT error), the second system lasted for 15 seconds (boot, go into bios, lock up, CPU INIT error) before it suddenly died and the third board was DOA... I'm not complaining about restarts, or instability which could be PSU related... Stuff simply wouldn't work... There's no point to swap my PSU, as I never went into Windows in the latter two cases and the setup was working fine with SLI and all in the first case...

john19055
07-05-08, 12:42 PM
It was just my opinion since I would have swore it was never my power supply but turn out to be so.All i was trying to say it never hurts just to try .

Lfctony
07-05-08, 01:06 PM
I know your intentions were well meant. I'm just saying that the problems I have suffered indicated a different problem than the PSU. I mean I could have also blamed the PSU if I had gotten into Windows and crashed during 3d games, which would indicated stability issues at full load. But when a board is DOA, it can't be the PSU, correct? If another board starts, locks up and never starts again, same story, it can't be the PSU... The first board worked well for quite a bit too, until it suddenly crashed at one point and never worked again. If it was the PSU, these boards would have booted fine but I would have simply experienced stability problems...

Btw this is my PSU, SLI Certified and all:
http://www.super-flower.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=47

hell_of_doom227
07-05-08, 01:21 PM
That PSU is not enough. Can you stress your system with only one GTX280 and see if anything is going to crash? In 2D Mode GTX280 draws little W, so two of them in Windows is not a big deal.

Lfctony
07-05-08, 01:53 PM
Oh dear God enough with the f*cking PSU. It's running both GTX280s at this friggin' moment on a P7N Platinum THAT WAS NOT DOA!

Which part of "The PC won't post" did you not understand mate? I mean the PC has to start somehow if the PSU is going to give out...