PDA

View Full Version : PS3 2.40 Pulled By Sony - Borking Systems... Ooops!

Peoples-Agent
07-02-08, 04:54 PM
Oh dear!

Unlucky for some eh.

http://kotaku.com/5021458/ps3-240-update-problems-and-solutions

It appears the update has now been pulled and no longer available for download.

2.41 soon?

Thingding
07-02-08, 04:57 PM
Oh dear!

Unlucky for some eh.

http://kotaku.com/5021458/ps3-240-update-problems-and-solutions

It appears the update has now been pulled and no longer available for download.

2.41 soon?

Uh-oh! Last time I update on launch day!

crainger
07-02-08, 05:29 PM
Glad I didn't power on my PS3 last night...

Hang on Beagle was watching DVDs... I probably have 2.40. Hope my system will be ok.

JigenD
07-02-08, 05:33 PM
I haven't yet tried to boot up my PS3 again, so I hope I don't have problems.

Not meaning this in any 'system wars' way, but Sony needs to learn from MS in this type of stuff. MS's QA might mean we have to wait a month for game patches and such, but you'll rarely see big bugs get through the customers (other than on Windows, heh).

Gnaddel
07-02-08, 05:59 PM
Oh, I guess that explains why my ps3 didn't update a few minutes ago. I started to wonder if something is wrong. :)

Ninjaman09
07-02-08, 06:06 PM
Phew glad I didn't update yet. :D

BioHazZarD
07-02-08, 06:09 PM
holy cow.. i updated earlier with no problems but this must suck for people how the hell do they test this ? rushed update or whats going on :(

LurkerLito
07-02-08, 06:13 PM
Doh, I just powered on and was wondering why it didn't prompt me. Glad that didn't happen to me. If I lost my MGS4 saves I'd be pissed. I have a HD back up too but it is a bit old.

*now doing a system backup* ;)

NaitoSan
07-02-08, 06:48 PM
Updated mine last night and it works great. Hmm weird.

LurkerLito
07-02-08, 08:17 PM
Now that I have a system backup, I wish I had downloaded the firmware file. Oh well, I guess I have to wait now.

Marvel_us
07-02-08, 08:23 PM

Not meaning this in any 'system wars' way, but Sony needs to learn from MS in this type of stuff. MS's QA might mean we have to wait a month for game patches and such, but you'll rarely see big bugs get through the customers (other than on Windows, heh).

IIRC, a similar thing happened to MS and Nintendo. What's funny is as I was updating last night I told a friend of mine that if would be ****ed up if the update killed our PS3's.

Mr. Hunt
07-02-08, 08:47 PM

The same QA that let the RROD go... forever? Even after years, hasn't even been fixed? Yeah... great QA.

Now that I have a system backup, I wish I had downloaded the firmware file. Oh well, I guess I have to wait now.

I am sure you can find one around the internet to put on a memory stick to update.

I got 2.40 and it is working great

JigenD
07-02-08, 08:50 PM
IIRC, a similar thing happened to MS and Nintendo. What's funny is as I was updating last night I told a friend of mine that if would be ****ed up if the update killed our PS3's.

MS only suffers from the typical hardware flashing death rates (especially if people do something stupid like turn off their systems, but flashing is always risky no matter what you're flashing). Nintendo put out one really bad firmware right near launch that did completely brick systems, but they haven't really added much to each firmware anyways.

The same QA that let the RROD go... forever? Even after years, hasn't even been fixed? Yeah... great QA.

Software versus hardware. MS has had great software QA on 360.

Marvel_us
07-02-08, 08:57 PM
MS only suffers from the typical hardware flashing death rates (especially if people do something stupid like turn off their systems, but flashing is always risky no matter what you're flashing). Nintendo put out one really bad firmware right near launch that did completely brick systems, but they haven't really added much to each firmware anyways.

Well from the article it seems like this is just a HDD problem which is not really that big of a problem considering the system hardware itself is still fine. The is the one bad one that Sony put out. Point is all companies have made mistakes, I have no idea how these things slip through the cracks but it happens.

LurkerLito
07-02-08, 11:50 PM
I am sure you can find one around the internet to put on a memory stick to update.

I got 2.40 and it is working great

Yeah true, but I won't bother because I didn't download it from Sony's server personally. Hardware flash updates I won't grab from anything but an official source. Either way I can wait since I am sure 2.41 will be out pretty fast.

Bman212121
07-03-08, 12:15 AM
Mine has the 2.40 firmware update on it and I haven't had any issues with it so far. It's been folding all day since I put it on.

EciDemon
07-03-08, 03:23 AM
I downloaded the update manually yesterday, then i saw those problems posts on the official playstation forums.
I decided to update anyways via usb stick (made sure no game was inserted or anything). It's working just fine with my 40gb pal machine.

Amuro
07-03-08, 04:56 AM
Unlucky me. I was planning on updating the firmware today, was busy yesterday.

LORD-eX-Bu
07-03-08, 04:56 PM
****ing hell, when is a fix going to be released for this? I don't want to lose any of my data.

|MaguS|
07-03-08, 05:09 PM
Your's bricked?

LORD-eX-Bu
07-03-08, 05:17 PM
no, just scared ****less and don't want to wait till next week to play MGO again :bleh:

|MaguS|
07-03-08, 05:23 PM
They pulled the update so you can log into the PSN and do what you want... wont affect you at all even if you already downloaded the update (as long as you havent bricked).

Thingding
07-03-08, 05:44 PM
Well mine worked fine tonight so I backup up all my saves. Phew!

It's probably just incompatible with GTA4 like everything else :)

LurkerLito
07-07-08, 11:20 AM
2.4.1 supposedly mid week.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/07/07/sony-customer-service-ps3-firmware-2-4-1-coming-midweek