PDA

View Full Version : CoD4 PBHub?

Imbroglio
07-04-08, 01:27 PM
so i got CoD4 for my birthday so I figured I'd throw it in and have some fun (already have it for 360, but figured for $10 more than the map pack, have a game that I'll actually enjoy). The first server I joined, I saw the PBHub pop up literally about 20 times banning people for AIMBOTS/WALLHACKS, a few times I saw people get banned for MD5 tool (I know that's not necessarily a hack back from my Wolf:ET days). But christ, either PB must have recently been updated, or are hacks really that rampant?

it really made me start question anyone that was halfway decent. is CoD4 really as bad as cs:s? (even though I still play cs:s, hacks are dime a dozen there)

evox
07-04-08, 02:15 PM
Yeah, CoD4 is really popular and thus has lots of hackers/cheaters. Hackers and Hardcore mode are two reasons I rarely play CoD4 now. :\

rudedog
07-04-08, 03:19 PM
Don't know what servers you joined, but I play a lot and very really see anyone get kicked, other then when a new patch comes out and people forgot to upgrade PB.

Your best bet is to find a good server with a good admin team who keeps the place tidy and the atmosphere clean and friendly.

Logical
07-04-08, 08:03 PM
The PBhub you speak of is a 3rd party site away fron punkbuster called PBbans. Every server that is streaming to the hub gets updated on all bans that have occured on other servers, not just the one you play on. This of course is optional in the PBhub settings. http://www.pbbans.com/

The general idea of PBbans is to have live MD5 tool and CVAR scans to ensure that there is no cheating going on in the server. It is most commonly used for servers that are used in matches/scrims. I have my match server streaming to PBbans and as a result also have my public server streaming.

Players that are banned by the PBhub are not necessarily banned by Punkbuster as punkbuster tends to be a lot more leniant with hackers (hell, they will only globally ban someone if they attempt to hack punkbuster itself.)

Other sites that use features similar to this is Gameviolations and punksbusted.

Public server ip 85.234.149.207:28929

LT.Schaffer
07-05-08, 12:01 AM
I tryed getting into COD4 MP but everytime i joined a server, i would start the game and take Three Steps and be sniped through walls/Trees every object that should have been protective cover:thumbdwn: this is why i play Co-op because the AI don't Hack:)

Imbroglio
07-05-08, 12:09 AM
The PBhub you speak of is a 3rd party site away fron punkbuster called PBbans. Every server that is streaming to the hub gets updated on all bans that have occured on other servers, not just the one you play on. This of course is optional in the PBhub settings. http://www.pbbans.com/

The general idea of PBbans is to have live MD5 tool and CVAR scans to ensure that there is no cheating going on in the server. It is most commonly used for servers that are used in matches/scrims. I have my match server streaming to PBbans and as a result also have my public server streaming.

Interesting that you mention that, because a lot of the banned people were never playing in the server I was in. That makes more sense. I played some more, I really only ran into 1 maybe 2 that made me question them, there were of course others that played well, but didn't do anything suspicious. Thanks for the little tid bit, I know Punkbuster well back from the RTCW/ET days, just figured PBbans was associated. :)

Logical
07-05-08, 08:41 AM
I tryed getting into COD4 MP but everytime i joined a server, i would start the game and take Three Steps and be sniped through walls/Trees every object that should have been protective cover:thumbdwn: this is why i play Co-op because the AI don't Hack:)

Hehe yes, i get named a hack all the time in public servers due to wallbanging. With a .50 cal and deep impact perk it is possible to shoot through any wall. There probably isnt as much hacking as you think in cod4. The amount of players that get banned through hax to the amount that play the game is only a very small percentage.

I say perservere with it, COD4 MP is a hell of an experience..

Couple of cfg tweaks you might want to try are..

/cl_maxpackets 100
reduces ping by about 5-10ms and improves hit reg

/com_maxfps 125
best at this fps with maxpackets at 100

/cg_fov 80
see more on screen

/r_drawdecals 0
Some servers allow it...some dont (removes some of the textures and decals like bullet holes).