PDA

View Full Version : Where's PhysX for g80?

Pages : [1] 2

MUFC4EVER
07-04-08, 02:37 PM
I thought I read that the new drivers for the G80 series that support PhysX would be launched 1st July?

Is this more Nvidia bulls**t? Is it even in the mix or are us G80 users just be left to die by the roadside?

The G280 is way over priced and is getting creamed by the 4850/4870 cards if you believe the reviews. Nvidia need to keep us G80 SLI owners onside or we may well defect to the red side.

First time for a long time that the green team is feeling the heat (bit of a pun on the 48070 LOL).

Seriously Nvidia needs to get its act together on the drivers very soon or else.

(lee63)

spajdr
07-04-08, 02:43 PM
What you need it for? for three maps in UTIII? :) for better score in vantage? not worth imho for now.

MUFC4EVER
07-04-08, 02:43 PM
Look at this link. OK it is small numbers and uk site but is the tide turning?

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14224

(lee63)

NoWayDude
07-04-08, 03:50 PM
Look at this link. OK it is small numbers and uk site but is the tide turning?

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14224

(lee63)

Low prices + good product = lots of people buying the card

Simple as

SLippe
07-05-08, 08:55 AM
Drivers aren't much good if they only support PhysX in two applications, which is all they work with right now...UT3 and Vantage. Hopefully the official release drivers will include the majority of PhysX supported games, if not all.

BronzeGod
07-05-08, 10:54 AM
July 1st? It's July 5th and nothing is out yet lol!

MUFC4EVER
07-05-08, 05:19 PM
July 1st? It's July 5th and nothing is out yet lol!

You need to wake up and smell the coffee. Nvidia's share price dropped over 30% last week due to it announcing lower revenue numbers and a stronger than anticipated AMD launch of the 4800's.

During a credit crunch the performance and mainstream market go for value and today that is with AMD. Enthusiasts don't care but are such a small part of the market.

The GTX260 is $170 more expensive than the 4870 and Nvidia currently has nothing in between. It seems to be have been taken on the blind side by the 4800's and has nothing in the pipeline to compete for some time to come. Its only hope is to cut the prices of the new cards but this hits revenue harder and share price will keep dropping.

Hopefully Nvidia doesn't go into a tail spin but it does need to counter the 4800's.

By launching a new driver for the G80 with physx support could keep me on side until they release a good new die shrinked card in 2009. I'm visiting California in August and will have up to $600 to spend on the best single gfx card available. If the 4870G2 is out and better than the GTX280 I'd be tempted to jump ship.

ATM IMHO Nvidia's Achilles heel are its drivers. In Vista they're a joke and they seem to be abandoning the G80 in XP. Modded inf's, give me a break! They should work on my card period. What happened to unified drivers?

I suppose come August we shall see.

Cheers

(lee63)

TheSmJ
07-06-08, 01:36 AM
I have an old EVGA 8600 GT OC waiting to be made into a "physx accelerator", leaving my other card to do graphics alone. Given that I have no other use for this card as neither of my other machines are compadible with it for various reasons, this is the best use for it.

Renzo
07-06-08, 06:30 AM
By launching a new driver for the G80 with physx support could keep me on side until they release a good new die shrinked card in 2009. I'm visiting California in August and will have up to $600 to spend on the best single gfx card available. If the 4870G2 is out and better than the GTX280 I'd be tempted to jump ship.
What's the point with all these threats? Really, if 4870x2 is better than GTX280 then why not go for it? It's not the end of the world if you buy the best bang/buck card and obviously 4850/4870 are better in that department than any of the NVIDIA offerings at the moment.

I bought factory overclocked 8800GT some time ago but I don't think I would have done that if I knew what DAAMIT had coming. I know this is a NVIDIA "fansite" and I know I "like" NVIDIA cards but getting a card that gives more performance at lower price is tempting. I also find it interesting that NVIDIA offers PhysX acceleration through their GFX cards but I want to see some real world performance benchmarks if it really helps gaming fps, as I play UT3 myself.

noko
07-06-08, 01:06 PM
I don't see Nvidia waiting around, it is not in Nvidia nature to be second best. 55 micron die shrink should be a good boost and more competitive. My biggest problem with my 8800 GTX is my favorite application, trueSpace and Nvidia Drivers in Vista which are horrible for this application, one after another after another. My ATI card never had any problems in Vista and this program, only Nvidia. For me, going ATI will be more out of frustration then anything else plus having a great GPU at a great price to boot is icing on the cake. I do like how Nvidia was fast to react and cut prices which tells me they will not stand around without a fight.

MrSavoy
07-06-08, 02:04 PM
I thought I read that the new drivers for the G80 series that support PhysX would be launched 1st July?

Is this more Nvidia bulls**t? Is it even in the mix or are us G80 users just be left to die by the roadside?

The G280 is way over priced and is getting creamed by the 4850/4870 cards if you believe the reviews. Nvidia need to keep us G80 SLI owners onside or we may well defect to the red side.

First time for a long time that the green team is feeling the heat (bit of a pun on the 48070 LOL).

Seriously Nvidia needs to get its act together on the drivers very soon or else.

(lee63)

First of all relax.

Second. Its a holiday weekend, even Nvidia are allowed time off.

Third. They will not abandon G80 since there's still a very large install base there. The drivers will come and you can play vantage and those 3 UT maps all day long if you wish.

Fourth lose the attitude and go get an ati card if you think they are so much better(which they aren't)

Learn patientence.

MUFC4EVER
07-07-08, 01:02 PM
Patience is not a virtue I have I'm afraid and at my age not one I'm going to acquire! On a recent 360 feedback from my staff this came across loud and clear! As with regards the attitude I suppose it goes had in hand with my patience.

My real gripe I suppose is the current state of the Nvidia drivers in both XP & Vista (I dual boot). If I'm gonna lay out $600 on a gfx card I don't want it to be hamstrung by poor driver support. ATI found out in the early days it was not sufficient to have the best hardware if you had poorly implemented drivers. Great hardware and solid unified drivers brought Nvidia to the top. Now that's beginning to erode both in the hardware (bang/buck) and more so in the drivers.

Leaked NV drivers hit the net virtually daily but WHQL drivers for my G80's have been few and far between. Nearly all new WHQL drivers only support the new cards and you have to resort to modded infs to make them work. Why oh why are modders expected to do NV's job for them for free? From my experience of owning numerous ATI cards they release drivers monthly through their catalyst programme that are WHQL. Any bugs that can be fixed are included in the next release.

Nvidia issue "beta" drivers that sometimes fix one issue but break others LOL. For instance, in XP SLI support and scaling in general works well. In Vista, I own Ultimate, support, implementation and performance for SLI is rubbish. If you don't believe me read the posts.

All I'm really asking is for Nvidia to step up to the mark and finally produce some drivers that work on as many cards as possible, in SLI, (or not) in both XP & Vista and give us some "free" extras like PhysX support in as many games as support it. If its only 3 fine, 3 in bigger than 0 ATM.

Here ends the sermon for today.

Cheers

(lee63)

MrSavoy
07-07-08, 09:14 PM
I don't have the problems you seem to have with drivers honestly. I have been running the WHQL 175.19's and got them before they were taken down and have NO issues what so ever.
The reasn you dont see new drivers for G80 is because the cards are pretty much tapped out the performance is what it is at this point so of course they focus will be to extract as much power as possible out of the new cards. Its sound business don't ya think?

BronzeGod
07-08-08, 01:59 AM
I needs my drivers! Where be mah drivers at?

Quick420
07-08-08, 02:35 PM
Doesnt Clive Barker's Jericho use Physx as well??? Although I wouldnt be surprised if a different driver is needed for each game:D I installed the Physx driver along with 177.40 but didnt notice any difference in gameplay or FPS.I cant really be bothered re-installing UT3 for 3 maps which I will never play.Oh well I'm sure they will figure it out eventually,I'll keep my 8800(g92) until they do.;)

Tr1cK
07-08-08, 02:44 PM
http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-38283-135.html

ATI will get PhysX too.

MaXThReAT
07-08-08, 03:24 PM
Not sure what it can do for G80 but...
http://downloads.guru3d.com/NV-PhysX-Tweaker-1.0-download-1984.html

weeds
07-24-08, 09:27 AM
Nvidia to bring WHQL-certified PhysX drivers on August 5th
Santa Clara (CA) - After demonstrating beta drivers featuring GPU-accelerated physics on 3DMark Vantage and Unreal Tournament III (GeForce GTX and 9800 boards), Nvidia is getting ready to release the official Windows driver.

This driver will support PhysX acceleration on all capable GeForce 8, 9 and GTX cards, while carrying Microsoft's WHQL certificate. More importantly, the new ForceWare driver is expanding PhysX support to all currently available PhysX titles on the market, including Ghost Recon 2: Advanced Warfighter, Warmonger and Cell Factor: Revolution.

We expect that downloads of free games such as Warmonger and Cell Factor will actually spike once again in August, since now those games will be playable on a variety of cards.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38552/135/

nekrosoft13
07-24-08, 09:33 AM
nice, thanks weeds

Bman212121
07-24-08, 10:48 AM
Yea, nice find weeds. :captnkill:

I wonder if you'll be able to still use it with SLI enabled though... Does anyone know if the current Phsyx works with SLI?

nekrosoft13
07-24-08, 10:57 AM
it does work with SLi, but it only runs off one card

Bman212121
07-24-08, 11:14 AM
hmm, I wonder how that effects performance with AFR... You'd think if phsyx took 10% of the resources on one card that the other card would have to slow down just as much to compensate.

SLippe
07-24-08, 11:27 AM
Not sure what it can do for G80 but...
http://downloads.guru3d.com/NV-PhysX-Tweaker-1.0-download-1984.html

Vista 32bit only. :(

namuk
07-24-08, 02:00 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/24/nvidia-release-whql-physx

:)

Bman212121
07-24-08, 02:05 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/24/nvidia-release-whql-physx

:)

Look 6 posts above yours. ;)