PDA

View Full Version : HD refurbish

marqmajere
05-10-03, 10:12 PM
I was wondering where I could get a HD refurbished. It's a Maxtor 20 gig 5400 rpm model. Its about a year old but I lost the reciept and can't get the warranty so I thought I might get it fixed. Can I do this or am I screwed and should just throw it away?

LORD-eX-Bu
05-11-03, 01:24 AM
you don't have the box or anything? Cuz as long as you have the HD's serial number you can get your HD repaired under Maxtor warranty. They have a no hassle RMA policy that is very good, eh, you don't need a receipt. If you don't have the serial number tho, I think you'd be better off buying a new HD;)

Riptide
05-11-03, 08:14 AM
Never hurts to call Maxtor either. A friend of mine had a 10gig western dig go bad on him and it was an OEM he got from work. They sent him a new one no questions asked...

Dazz
05-11-03, 09:57 AM
Yep i've had 3 IBM GXP60's die on me and so long as you don't tamper with the seal and has all the stickers on they will take it when you give then the serial number to see if you warrently is valid.

Matthyahuw
05-11-03, 10:15 AM
just use the online RMA deal @ Maxtor, no recipt, needed...

Just say the # on the drive, whats up, put in a CC # to get one rushed (no charge unless you don't send back the old one), and send the old one back in the box it came in! if you do it now, you'll have it by Thurs or Fri...

marqmajere
05-11-03, 10:35 AM
Well I went to thier website and filled out the RMA forms. All I have to do is send this one back and I get a new one. No hassles (yet ;) ). Plus the new HD's warrenty is the rest of the defective HD's time. Thanks all of you guys. I didn't even know I could return it without some sort of proof of purchase. :D

Riptide
05-11-03, 12:09 PM
IBM is the same way. You can setup an RMA online without talking to anyone or providing a receipt. Good stuff...