PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 7800GS CO/175.16 Incompatable

seeker
07-05-08, 09:16 AM
With this driver installed, the video card sends a garbled signal to the TV. I have tried it twice with different downloads with the same results. Running 162.18 until Nvidia releases a driver that works.

seeker
07-10-08, 03:34 AM
I just installed 175.19, hoping that it would be better than 175.16...it did nothing for the TV output on my video card, but it did get rid of a framerate problem that I had running CoD on 162.18. I would like to have the best of two worlds, a driver that works with my games, and lets me watch DVDs on the TV. How soon will the next release be?

saturnotaku
07-10-08, 05:38 AM
There are about a million beta releases you can try. Download from www.laptopvideo2go.com. You may need to get one of their modded .inf files as well. I had issues with the 16x.xx drivers outputting to my TV and monitor on my Boot Camp-enabled MacBook Pro with an 8600M GT. Using 177.26 fixed those problems. Maybe that set will work for you.

seeker
07-10-08, 08:29 AM
Thanks, but the problem with having a million choices is that, if I'm lucky, I might find one that works properly by the time that Windows 7 is released. This may be a stupid question, but is there any difference between a laptop driver from one for a desktop? The reason that I ask is that the Nvidia wizard always ask for the exact video card before offering a driver.

I realize that AGP is on it's way out, but it is not obsolete yet, and they should know if their driver is going to work or not. At this point, their WHQL driver seems no better than a beta, which I have always avoided.

saturnotaku
07-10-08, 04:13 PM
Thanks, but the problem with having a million choices is that, if I'm lucky, I might find one that works properly by the time that Windows 7 is released. This may be a stupid question, but is there any difference between a laptop driver from one for a desktop?

177.26 is actually a desktop driver. When it was released it only supported the GTX 260 and 280. The modded .inf you can download from LV2G contains support for all desktop and mobile GPUs from the 6-series and higher.

Not sure what version of Windows you're running but here (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showforum=94) is a link to the 177.xx forum at LV2G. Scroll down towards the bottom and there are threads about each 177.26 release for the various operating systems. Pick the one you need, download the driver and its appropriate modded .inf. Extract the driver you downloaded to a folder, then copy the modded .inf into that folder, overwriting the existing file, and install per your normal routing (uninstall old drivers, reboot into safe mode, driver cleaner, reboot, install new drivers). Should be good to go.

Good luck. :)

seeker
07-11-08, 03:33 AM
Hmm, I had been waiting for EVGA support to respond to an email that I shot to them yesterday. They did respond to the first message, asking how I have the PC and TV connected, but after anwering I heard nothing else. I guess that they need time to scratch their heads.

I may try using the driver that you mentioned, but I'm still a bit reluctant to tackle that just yet. I guess that there has to be a first time for everything.

seeker
07-11-08, 04:45 PM
I tried downloading that driver yesterday, and it kept saying "how did you get here?". I just tried it again, and the DLM popped up to do the download, but after it had tried 26 attempts to download it, without any luck, I shut it down. I haven't tried any of the other drivers yet, only the 177.26 Asus release, do you think that a different one would work as well as the one that you used? EVGA is still just scratching their heads

seeker
07-11-08, 11:28 PM
I just got a response from EVGA, in which after stating that the driver that they offer is exactly the same as the Nvidia release, recommended reinstalling the driver, which I have done before, except that I did not use DC Pro, as they recommended. Since the driver works normally in every aspect, except with this TV issue, I'm a bit reluctant to use DC Pro. The reason for this is that the first/last time that I did this before, it caused some damage that required having to reinstall the OS. I realize that there is always a chance that this might improve the situation with the TV, but what are the odds? I consider this to be a gamble, and with the stakes being as they are, I want more than a 50/50 chance of success.

EDIT: Another factor that bears on this, is that while fiddling with the settings, that the TV output worked okay, if I select spanning in the Nvidia Control Panel, and appeared that it would work okay with the clone option...until I applied the setting, and then it returned to the same black screen with random wavy lines and dots. In DualView (which I prefer) nothing but what I described with cloning, after applying the setting.