PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried to get a price adjustment from Newegg?

Pages : [1] 2

Maverickman
07-05-08, 10:30 AM
We all know that video cards drop in price over time. However, this price drop on the GTX280/260 so soon after launch is very unusual. I guess we have ATI to thank for this, and it's just one more example of no matter which cards you prefer, competition is best for everyone. Still, I bought my GTX 280 from Newegg just over 2 weeks ago, and the price has dropped $110!!! I'm tempted to return my card under their return policy and order another at the new price, but I was wondering if Newegg will just issue a credit to my account instead of me having to return this card. I've heard that Newegg won't do this, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to return a card I want to order another at a lower price.

Maverickman
07-05-08, 10:31 AM
It looks like I put "an" instead of "a."

Greeno
07-05-08, 10:39 AM
Might not be completely ethical - as they're trying to run a business... But i'd look after yourself first and foremost mate.

ginfest
07-05-08, 12:55 PM
I have gotten multiple price adjustments from them in the past. IIRC it depends on the time frame involved, but I'm not sure what their criteria is. Just call and ask them.

Tr1cK
07-05-08, 03:39 PM
Nope, and I don't foresee why anybody should get one.

Nvidia knew what the deal was and charged a premium while they could for the 200 series. They knew they had a loss coming up in the laptop debacle and in the price/performance war against ATI. I doubt Newegg is willing to take a loss and I seriously doubt Nvidia is going to reimburse anyone like Apple did on the iPhone.

heatlesssun
07-05-08, 03:44 PM
I have gotten multiple price adjustments from them in the past. IIRC it depends on the time frame involved, but I'm not sure what their criteria is. Just call and ask them.

How did you get this from NewEgg? Their policy clear states they don't do price guarentee's : http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=5

Maverickman
07-05-08, 04:22 PM
I'll find out on Monday, but I would think that Newegg would honor the adjustment on a card that they are now selling for a much lower price. many stores such as BB, Fry's and Circuit City will adjust a price if they or even a competitor are selling it for less for a specified period. If it involves a computer, that may be only 14 days.

If Newegg will not adjust the price, I'll just order another card at the new price and return the one I have. Newegg will then have a returned card and they'll have sold another to me for the reduced price.

It's no secret how video cards drop in price over time, but since this happened so quickly, common sense may allow for an adjustment. I've bought a lot of merchandise from Newegg, so we'll see how much it values its customers.

methimpikehoses
07-05-08, 04:38 PM
Newegg adjusted the price for me on some ram that dropped $40 a day after I bought it. Don't know if they will feel obligated since it's been 2 weeks. Good luck.

jcrox
07-05-08, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't even bother to try. If your still within the return time period, return it and buy another one at the cheaper price.

fasedww
07-05-08, 05:22 PM
I just emailed them, because I bought two evga sc 280's for 649.00 a piece. I bought a playstation 3 and the price dropped a 100.00 dollars a few days later, they gave me 100.00 credit back. In the last 15 years, I probally have spent over 10,000 to 15,000 dollars there. What do you think my response will be? I'm going to call also after work monday.:)

hemmy
07-05-08, 06:18 PM
I just emailed them, because I bought two evga sc 280's for 649.00 a piece. I bought a playstation 3 and the price dropped a 100.00 dollars a few days later, they gave me 100.00 credit back. In the last 15 years, I probally have spent over 10,000 to 15,000 dollars there. What do you think my response will be? I'm going to call also after work monday.:)

And I thought I was a dedicated customer :o

Maverickman
07-05-08, 06:21 PM
Since this was an unexpected move by Nvidia, it makes sense to issue a credit rather than ship the card back. Let's see how Newegg handles this. This will affect how much I buy from them in the future.

fasedww
07-06-08, 12:53 PM
Since this was an unexpected move by Nvidia, it makes sense to issue a credit rather than ship the card back. Let's see how Newegg handles this. This will affect how much I buy from them in the future.

i got a email form newegg saying they will give me 25.00 credit on my next purchase, I'm still calling tommorrow after work, and pitch a bitch that maybe I'll do my business elswhere'.:(

Jas28
07-06-08, 01:31 PM
i got a email form newegg saying they will give me 25.00 credit on my next purchase, I'm still calling tommorrow after work, and pitch a bitch that maybe I'll do my business elswhere'.:(

Sorry, I disagree with you here. If there are willing to do anything, you should be happy. When you bought the card you agreed to the 'said' price. It wasn't a bad deal for you then? That is the price that is paid for being one of the first to get something. If you wanna be pissed at someone....be pissed at nvidia for their crazy prices they came out with.

fasedww
07-06-08, 01:45 PM
Sorry, I disagree with you here. If there are willing to do anything, you should be happy. When you bought the card you agreed to the 'said' price. It wasn't a bad deal for you then? That is the price that is paid for being one of the first to get something. If you wanna be pissed at someone....be pissed at nvidia for their crazy prices they came out with.
Yeah I paid the price thinking thats what there selling for. Kinda a steep price reduction real fast, if it was like maybe 25.00 35.00 cheaper in the same time frame I wouldn't be so concern. I've been buying computer parts for a long time never seen or had something like this happen, wait the ps3 drop 100.00 dollars two days after I bought it they gave me 100.00 credit back.

Maverickman
07-06-08, 04:10 PM
As I said earlier, we all know how video cards drop in price over time. However, this was a steep reduction in a very short period of time. I could just return the card under Newegg's return policy and buy another one elsewhere. It makes more sense to keep a customer happy and save the sale. Even brick and mortar stores like BB and Fry's will adjust a price if an item goes down in price within a certain period, usually anywhere from 14 to 30 days.

Kowan
07-06-08, 04:32 PM
With the 15% restocking fee @ about $97 per card and figure shipping back to them...
You would have to wait for a further price drop for it to be worth it.

Maverickman
07-06-08, 04:41 PM
I never saw anything about a restocking fee. At least, they don't make that very clear.

Maverickman
07-06-08, 05:08 PM
Well, I just saw it all the way at the top of the page. When you click the 30-day return policy, it takes you to that section which doesn't mention anything about the 15% restodking fee. Let's see, I paid $659 for the card, so the fee would be $98.85. Since the card dropped by $110, I'm still $11.15 ahead of the game. I can still return the card and order from another company at the cheaper price. Of course I would NEVER do business again with Newegg and cancel my Preferred Account.

Kowan
07-06-08, 05:11 PM
Shipping will eat into that.
I bought two @ $649.99, so I know how you feel.

Tr1cK
07-06-08, 05:12 PM
This thread is now officially funny. The brand loyalty is at a new high.

Why would Newegg put themselves at a loss because Nvidia cut the price? Evidently, Nvidia is not reimbursing Newegg or else they probably would. No need to get your panties in a bunch with Newegg because Nvidia screwed you.

Kowan
07-06-08, 05:14 PM
This thread is now officially funny. The brand loyalty is at a new high.

Why would Newegg put themselves at a loss because Nvidia cut the price? Evidently, Nvidia is not reimbursing Newegg or else they probably would. No need to get your panties in a bunch with Newegg because Nvidia screwed you.
Nvidia didn't screw us. The cards still perform great. It's just ATi's response caused a massive price drop to compete.

Maverickman
07-06-08, 05:23 PM
It goes to show how much Nvidia has been overcharging people for so long. Of course, I along with others were dumb enough to fall for it. I'm waiting from now on before buying a brand new card. I think I've bought my last Nvidia card. ATI is definitely back, and I hope it puts the screws to Nvidia even more.

Kowan
07-06-08, 05:27 PM
Well it's always been vote with your wallet.
Prices adjust according.

Depending on well the HD4870x2 performs, I'll build a new box with one in it.

Tr1cK
07-06-08, 06:25 PM
Nvidia has been driving the prices up because of no real competition from ATI. $650 GPUS, $350 motherboards. That's just absurd. It shows you how much they were marking them up when they can just knock off $100 so easily. I think that's getting screwed when they do it 2 weeks after launch.