PDA

View Full Version : nForce2 Integrated Network Question

StealthHawk
05-11-03, 04:15 AM
Does the nforce2 integrated network controller have an onboard processor that offloads work from the CPU?

In particular, would there be any decrease in CPU utilization from changing this setting in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\DisableTaskOffload = 1 to 0?

Normally I would just change it to experiment, but I don't feel like taking any chances ATM. Maybe before a reformat.

But I would be grateful if anyone knew the answer and would share it :)

deejaya
05-12-03, 04:15 AM
You can enable or disable your nics on board processor:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
add a DWORD called : DisableTaskOffload
the values are -
0 = Use NIC Processor
1 = Disable NIC Processor
This may help speed things up a little in the tcp/ip processing area. If you choose to set it to '1' your system will take care of the processing. Setting it to '0' will let the NIC handle things for your connection.
Test it out with each setting and see which one is right for you. By default - well kinda by default - when XP installs its native drivers for your NIC and it has an on board processor the drivers enable the processor on most Nics automatically. However this is not perfect for every system because some systems can handle the connection faster than the nics on board processor. Some processors and systems are just better at this. On the other hand, some systems are great at some things but fall a little short in taking care of the connection. Anyway, give it a try - reboot between each setting change. If it just doesn't do anything for you remove the registry entry DWORD you put in and reboot.

There's also a piece at Microsoft about it here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/94176.asp). I checked my registry and didn't have this value, but I may play around with it soon. Doesn't seem like it would do anything detrimental.

SavagePaladin
05-14-03, 01:08 AM
Lots of NICs offload different things. I can't say what nforce or nforce2 do, all I can say is http://www.************/_preview.php?articleID=268 says nforce3 has task offload