PDA

View Full Version : European Union Wants to Ban Suspected Pirates from Internet

SH64
07-08-08, 09:42 AM
A proposed bill currently being voted on this week by the European Union would give governments authorization to deem certain software illegal to be used on the internet. The new anti-piracy rules would put in effect a Europe-wide three strikes law, giving three warning to people suspected of sharing copyrighted files, eventually banning offenders from accessing the internet. Needless to say organizations such as Foundation for a Free Internet and various law firms are already up in arms.
http://www.worthplaying.com/print.php?sid=53643

What do you think ?

g-a-m-e
07-08-08, 09:50 AM
Awesome.

jolle
07-08-08, 09:58 AM
When you thought the height of stupidity had been reached, there is always something that comes along and shows you how wrong you were.

Igor Vitaly
07-08-08, 10:05 AM
Excellent!

Sadly someone has to act as "father" for the pirates since their mindes are clouded as to what is right and wrong. A firm hand will settle them right as is needed. Criminals* should be threated as criminals* and get punished if they do not reform..... :naughty:

* If not criminals then naughty boys

Gaco
07-08-08, 10:08 AM
I'm all against piracy, but this is nuts.

evox
07-08-08, 12:32 PM
lol.

just, lol. :lol:

LurkerLito
07-08-08, 12:44 PM
I can't see it getting passed, there are just too many ways to get someone banned who didn't do a thing. Just think how hilarious it would be if a bunch of hackers did nothing but break into the EU's government buildings wifi network(s) and got all of them banned for piracy.

Tr1cK
07-08-08, 12:51 PM
To EU: Good luck with all that. :headexplode:

LordJuanlo
07-08-08, 12:59 PM
I find it laughable

Toss3
07-08-08, 01:12 PM
(omg)

CaptNKILL
07-08-08, 01:24 PM
I really doubt this will ever go through.

Revs
07-08-08, 01:29 PM
As far as I'm aware it's already happening, at least in the UK. Virgin booted 800 people off their internetz last week for using the likes of BitTorrent. There's been talk of this now for months.

spajdr
07-08-08, 01:31 PM
As long i dont get cutoff from internet, because i download games from STEAM, im for it! :D

3DBrad
07-08-08, 02:04 PM
This is just more government/nanny-state.

ViN86
07-08-08, 02:42 PM
When you thought the height of stupidity had been reached, there is always something that comes along and shows you how wrong you were.

"Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and pull something like this....

AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!"

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/DumbandDumber001.jpg

:rofl

nekrosoft13
07-08-08, 02:44 PM
suspected pirates? so this is kind of like RIAA, no proof needed

|MaguS|
07-08-08, 02:50 PM
"Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and pull something like this....

AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!"

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/DumbandDumber001.jpg

:rofl

hahaha Love that movie!

jolle
07-08-08, 03:25 PM
As far as I'm aware it's already happening, at least in the UK. Virgin booted 800 people off their internetz last week for using the likes of BitTorrent. There's been talk of this now for months.
I think some individual IPSs may do it already, we had some nutty lawthing pass in sweden recently (spinless retards favorvoted it through).. but this is some EU wide thing.
Its not really in the best intrest of ISPs though, why would anyone pay that extra money for the fastest connection if they´re not using it to download stuff? Piracy pretty much runs that business.. aside for things like Steam, legal online movie rentals and whatnots, but I would GUESS that only accounts for a fraction of the traffic.

How do they separate legal usage from illegal?
I mean do people get booted for using Blizzards Autoupdater for WOW? just cause it uses torrent traffic..
Downloading the Age of Conan Early Access client is prolly not illegal, since you buy the account and need to acctually buy the game anyway.. Blizzard offers the WOW client as a torrent download if you own it aswell.

Most copy protection schemes to date has caused more headache for legal buyers then it ever has for the pirates.
I foresee alot of issues if they intend to monitor the entire internet like that, plus someones gotta pay for it, I doubt the music or movie industry is gonna pick up the bill..

Revs
07-09-08, 08:45 AM
I assume they are monitoring ports that are known to be used by torrent clients. Some ISP's restrict data throughput on these ports, apparently. Some companies are refusing to go with this three strikes system so there was talk of making it law.

It'll be interesting to see what they do about people like me that use Usenext or similar clients. I'm currently not breaking any laws because I don't upload anything. Therefore under current law they would have no right to cut me off. I expect that part of the law will change, too.

JigenD
07-09-08, 10:02 AM
Except torrents have a lot of legitimate uses. Metal Gear Online uses a torrent client for game updates, World of Warcraft uses some sort of P2P sharing... Most torrent clients let you set any port you want, and you can encrypt all the data so ISPs can't tell what's exactly going through those ports.

If they start banning people for using that protocol, there's not going to be many people left on the net.

Ninjaman09
07-09-08, 10:23 AM
It's stuff like this that makes me laugh derisively when people talk about how great Europe is. :rofl