PDA

View Full Version : Computer freeze whilst coping large amounts of files

HarryDude
07-08-08, 11:20 AM
Basically I'm building a computer for a friend out of my spare computer bits, everythings working fine, installed windows fine (windows xp) but when I try to copy some music over, the computer just freezes half way through, every time, and the only way back to normal is to restart. My friend says it is processor related, in that it could be faulty, but I have absolutely no idea, this has never happened in any of my other builds.

Here are the specs

Intel Celeron Dual Core E1200

1GB DDR400 pc3200 ram

Geforce 7900gtx 512

Asroc 4coredual VSTA motherboard

Samsung 400gb PATA ATA100 7200RPM

Any suggestions?

Bearclaw
07-08-08, 11:35 AM
Hmmm. Where are you copying from? An external HD?

Revs
07-08-08, 11:37 AM
Have you done a 'Scan Disk' on the drive? Does it always stop on the same file/folder?

HarryDude
07-08-08, 11:49 AM
Hmmm. Where are you copying from? An external HD?

I was copying from a USB external enclosure for a hard drive so yeah..I just realised after posting that the computer wouldn't crash when copying from within the computer, why does this happen? also, when I tried to delete a large amount of files it crashed once.

Tr1cK
07-08-08, 12:49 PM
Last time I experienced something like this, the drive was shot. Being USB, it may be an issue there.

HarryDude
07-08-08, 01:09 PM
The external drive itself is fine, it works perfectly on my own computer, I have been reading and I think it has something to do with IDE and PATA drivers being crappy and causing crashes, however I can't find any sort of driver that will fix it.

EDIT: I'm gonna take the hard drive back and get a decent SATA one, I'm pretty sure it should work then, always worked in the past :)