PDA

View Full Version : Nehalem release schedule

Vanzagar
07-09-08, 03:56 AM
Could someone please summarize the latest Nehalem release schedule please...

Which model name would be the successor to the q9450? Will it be released before dec of this year?

Thanks,

rh

Heinz68
07-09-08, 05:22 AM
The slaWter posted "Road Map" is posted all over the net but there is nothing official about it.
I believe we will get the official release dates from Intel at "Intel Developer Forum (IDF)", San Francisco, US, Aug. 19-21, 2008
I sure hope that the road map on the picture is right since I like to upgrade my system with Nehalem this year.
Many other rumors suggest that we will see this year only the high end Extreme version off the chip and I would hate to pay for that. I did put aside $2000 for the CPU, mobo and memory but hopefully would love to spend much less.

nekrosoft13
07-09-08, 07:06 AM
As for overclocking... even the midrange CPUs will have very high multipliers which could be a good thing!

isn't it true that intel wanted to limit the OC? that only extreme wand the top of the line motherboard will have those options.

Revs
07-09-08, 09:16 AM
isn't it true that intel wanted to limit the OC? that only extreme wand the top of the line motherboard will have those options.

I think that was only on one of the three new sockets that are coming out. It wouldn't supprise me one bit.

Vanzagar
07-09-08, 02:08 PM
Thanks slaWter...

So I'm not sure I'm reading this right, does this mean the Q9550 is the successor to the Q9450, and it will be released by the end of the 3nd quarter?

Then a few month later a Bloomfield Q9550? Is the Bloomfield a shrink in die or what does the Bloomfield offer?

rh

Heinz68
07-09-08, 04:21 PM
Thanks slaWter...

So I'm not sure I'm reading this right, does this mean the Q9550 is the successor to the Q9450, and it will be released by the end of the 3nd quarter?

Then a few month later a Bloomfield Q9550? Is the Bloomfield a shrink in die or what does the Bloomfield offer?

rh
Same as the picture the naming is not official. Penryn was a die shrink of an existing architecture, Nehalem (Bloomfield) is a new architecture built on the same 45nm process as Penryn.

"Nehalem will later be followed by Westmere, the planned 32nm die shrink of the Nehalem architecture, which will in turn be followed by the Gesher microarchitecture, which again promises to provide additional performance improvements by introducing architectural improvements."
neoseeker (http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/intel_penryn_nehalem/print.html)
wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(CPU_architecture))