PDA

View Full Version : For what you get, Crysis runs better than COD4, UT3, and a host of other games!

Pages : [1] 2

3DBrad
07-09-08, 10:10 AM
I'm tired of hearing people complain, saying that Crysis runs bad because of "poor coding" or something else.

Have you ever thought all what was going on on screen? The complex shaders for the vegetation, metal, water, the superb post effects like the cinematic motion blur, or the breakable/bendable vegetation based on complex vertex colors and rigs?

Most of these other games have a simple BSP/CGS wall with a normal map slapped on, and maybe a few other maps, but they're all quite simple, not nearly as complex as something in Crysis.

Grant it, UT3 has some pretty complex shaders, but it doesn't do good with alpha-masked or opacity-masked vegetation, so UE3 couldn't even run an environment like you have in Crysis and get similar performance.

Ok, ok, /rant.
:D
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/CrysisGIF.gif
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/crysisimages3.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/crysisimages6.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/crysisimages4.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/crysisimages3.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/crysisimages2.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/crysisimages1.jpg

COD4
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/cod41.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/halo3screenshots575/cod42.jpg

spajdr
07-09-08, 10:15 AM
Have you ever read what programmers said about crysis warhead, that they didnt got time to optimise engine for original crysis but it will be included in warhead? so yes, thats poor coding, but due to time problems, but for enabling full effects you will not need DX10 card. So its safe to say, that they can make DX9 effects to look like DX10 crysis was, but without that much performance hit.

|MaguS|
07-09-08, 10:18 AM
I think COD4 looks better then Crysis. Yes Crysis on a technical level is better but I think the art direction and cinematic experiance is far beyond that of what Crysis offers.

This arguement was made when D3 and HL2 went up against eachother, people screamed that D3 looked better because the special effects but in the end everyone agreed that HL2 looked better as a whole.

MustangSVT
07-09-08, 10:20 AM
Half-Life 2 definetely looked better. And Crysis definetely looks better than any other game out there still, including games like MGS4 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue on PS3 (yes I have a PS3).

3DBrad
07-09-08, 10:21 AM
Have you ever read what programmers said about crysis warhead, that they didnt got time to optimise engine for original crysis but it will be included in warhead? so yes, thats poor coding, but due to time problems, but for enabling full effects you will not need DX10 card. So its safe to say, that they can make DX9 effects to look like DX10 crysis was, but without that much performance hit.

Do you know what the main thing studios often do to "optimize" their game? Usually involves cutting textures in half, reducing polycounts, or increasing culling distance. :p

|MaguS|
07-09-08, 10:23 AM
Do you know what the main thing studios often do to "optimize" their game? Usually involves cutting textures in half, reducing polycounts, or increasing culling distance. :p

No they just build an efficient engine. There are plenty of games on the market that have very high resolution textures and still run great, crysis was just coded by trained chimps.

3DBrad
07-09-08, 10:26 AM
No they just build an efficient engine. There are plenty of games on the market that have very high resolution textures and still run great, crysis was just coded by trained chimps.

Like what? :D

Hl2 for todays standards still uses rather small textures, and very, very simple shaders (except for some of the newer Orange Box stuff).

COD4, again, tons of buildings in the game seem to only have a diffuse map, and the game doesn't run that well on PC compared to consoles, even with a card that's at least 2x faster than a console's GPU.

UT3, a lot of the source textures are nice, but they use their world/LOD settings and really kill them, by cutting them in half or more. (LOD groups and World-group setting in the texture's properties).

spajdr
07-09-08, 10:36 AM

Well.. since they are few screenies from warhead i cant say it looks like they used worse textures or reduced polycounts, but if they do and people wont see the difference, but speed will be faster, well .. thats the stuff i like, make some workaround :)
(though now i remember there was some humwee pic and his wheels looked low polycount)

nekrosoft13
07-09-08, 10:53 AM
Well.. since they are few screenies from warhead i cant say it looks like they used worse textures or reduced polycounts, but if they do and people wont see the difference, but speed will be faster, well .. thats the stuff i like, make some workaround :)
(though now i remember there was some humwee pic and his wheels looked low polycount)

in the same interview, they also mentioned that current High settings in Crysis will be Very High Settings in Warhead, Medium in Crysis will be High in Warheard etc...

there goes the optimizations.

bacon12
07-09-08, 10:56 AM
Anyone that makes the claim that other games look better than Crysis or that the code is muffed because it doesn't run like other popular titles doesn't have a clue.

nekrosoft13
07-09-08, 10:58 AM
Anyone that makes the claim that other games look better than Crysis or that the code is muffed because it doesn't run like other popular titles doesn't have a clue.

+1

Igor Vitaly
07-09-08, 11:50 AM
in the same interview, they also mentioned that current High settings in Crysis will be Very High Settings in Warhead, Medium in Crysis will be High in Warheard etc...

there goes the optimizations.

You must have missread it or it was just fake. Very high will have Crysis very high functions... like colorgrading etc. Shown high matches Crysis high and even has some things better. LODs have been better laid out and more effective even with slightly lower polygon numbers! :smoking:

wysiwyg
07-09-08, 12:45 PM
+1

+2

Logical
07-09-08, 04:17 PM
Graphics are nice....but gameplay is better

Even if crysis run at 60fps with everything on highest at highest resolution...it still wouldnt be as good to play as cod4.
Thats just my oppinion..no doubt im gonna get flamed for it by the never ending jungle screenshot spammers :/

WeReWoLf
07-09-08, 04:31 PM
Nah, we're feeling lazy today, so just go to the crysis screenshot thread.

methimpikehoses
07-09-08, 04:35 PM
After playing a lot of COD4 lately, I was amazed at the Crysis textures the other day... even the way the foliage moves is far more advanced than COD4. That said, I tested Crysis for 10 minutes then went back to playing COD4 for several hours.

:|

ralinn
07-09-08, 04:54 PM
Pfft, it's easy to make a game with good graphics.

I'd go for art direction any day.

Anyway, I don't believe that Crysis ran well for what it was at all. I still had pretty poor performance running everything on low when I had a 7800GTX. Before anyone replies with the obvious, no there was nothing wrong with my PC... the game just ran like ****. It was also the same on my Office PC and that had an X1950.

After playing a lot of COD4 lately, I was amazed at the Crysis textures the other day... even the way the foliage moves is far more advanced than COD4. That said, I tested Crysis for 10 minutes then went back to playing COD4 for several hours.

:|

Yup, COD4 PC gets more playtime still for me as well :)

Noriega
07-09-08, 04:58 PM
I think COD4 looks better then Crysis. Yes Crysis on a technical level is better but I think the art direction and cinematic experiance is far beyond that of what Crysis offers.

This arguement was made when D3 and HL2 went up against eachother, people screamed that D3 looked better because the special effects but in the end everyone agreed that HL2 looked better as a whole.

CoD4 look like Terrorist Takedown 2 + TT2 got better ai :D

Almost everything looks worse in CoD4 than in Crysis. Textures, shadows and smoke looks worse, models look worse, terrorists looks like clone attack, explosions looks worse + theres not much physic, animations are really fuc*ed up when you shoots sometimes theres 10 people that lean on ground in that same way.

And which game have better textures and so big maps? Show me at least one.

For me CoD4 sucks a lot I don't have time for MP ( ZOMG LAME!) but single was scripted. Storyline was exciting but hmm little naive and hollow. That in Crysis wasn't better but free gameplay was better for me.

ralinn
07-09-08, 05:16 PM
I wish Crysis was never released.

Noriega
07-09-08, 05:29 PM
I wish Crysis was never released.

But it is now become an Emo and go kill yourself (nana2)

|MaguS|
07-09-08, 05:31 PM
And which game have better textures and so big maps? Show me at least one.

Never argued that Crysis wasn't a technical marvel... just on the style and gameplay front it falls face first like a cripple trying to walk down stairs.

Noriega
07-09-08, 05:35 PM
Never argued that Crysis wasn't a technical marvel... just on the style and gameplay front it falls face first like a cripple trying to walk down stairs.

So theres no better looking game?

|MaguS|
07-09-08, 05:39 PM
So theres no better looking game?

Better looking is an opinion, in mine I think there are plenty of games that look better...

A game could be technically more advance then anything else but if it has no style or substance then it wont look that good.

Quake 4 was technically ahead of most games of its time yet it was a yawner for graphics.

Noriega
07-09-08, 05:41 PM
Better looking is an opinion, in mine I think there are plenty of games that look better...

A game could be technically more advance then anything else but if it has no style or substance then it wont look that good.

Quake 4 was technically ahead of most games of its time yet it was a yawner for graphics.

Hmm graphic is just graphic I think that Crysis have best graphic but styling is different way I love Stalker and Bioshock styling.

SH64
07-09-08, 05:45 PM
+2
+3