PDA

View Full Version : Whew.

Pages : [1] 2

bacon12
07-09-08, 09:05 PM
So I just had the best three hours of my life. Got my new mobo and cpu today so I tested it on the bench and it posted fine. Then I start the tearing down of my old am2. I really spent the time to get some better cable management.

So I get it all installed, and reinstall vista. Get that done install chipset, network, video, audio, and mouse/keyboard software. All is fine, until I start up windows update and install the update/update.

Well no it installed fine, but when I go to do a system update, I notice it never starts to download. So I wait... nothing, then bsod. !@!#*)^%$

I was pissed to say the least. I tried everything I could think of, but it was stop erroring on me right before the login screen every time. My usb ports were f..ed up as well and my keyboard was flashing.

So I was thinking the mobo has to be bad, but before I rma it I am gonna reformat and try again. So I did, and I am right where I was before the update bsod.

Just wanted to vent some before I try to update again, because I may loose it if it happens again. Why can't windows come with a remaster command like linux. :o

Wish me luck.. gonna try it again.

Destroy
07-09-08, 09:38 PM
I've had that happen to me often times, I really doubt its your hardware. My solution was not to update right away. I updated later in the week and all installed fine.

bacon12
07-09-08, 09:45 PM
I've had that happen to me often times, I really doubt its your hardware. My solution was not to update right away. I updated later in the week and all installed fine.

Well something isn't right played TF2 for about 15 minutes and got a BSOD. I waited on the update too, but it's down loading right now maybe there is something in there I don't see that will help.

I have my case open right now too, and the cpu/ gpu temps are fine as nothing is even warm to the touch except my ram.

What program would you suggest to get accurate readings from the cpu?

LT.Schaffer
07-09-08, 10:27 PM
SP3? it's supposed to fubar amd systems

bacon12
07-09-08, 10:38 PM
Yea I had issues with that as well, but this is Vista 64 on an Intel core 2 duo/ P35 that I am having the issue with.

methimpikehoses
07-09-08, 11:24 PM
stock clocks? everything plugged in correctly?

bacon12
07-09-08, 11:41 PM
Yea everything stock for now. I think I found the issue. Bad chipset driver install. (i hope) Should have never ever used the driver cd, I knew better than to trust that gigabyte install crap.

I am downloading SP1 now. I thought it was rough updating XP from RTM, but I swear vista got a bunch of updates the first time, but the next four it was one update, reboot, repeat. :(

I will test it when sp1 is installed and let you guys know if it's ok.

Hopefully I can update my sig, and my gtx280 will be here friday.:D

ViN86
07-10-08, 08:39 AM
Yea I had issues with that as well, but this is Vista 64 on an Intel core 2 duo/ P35 that I am having the issue with.

hmmm. you run any memory tests? memtest86 or windows memory test?
Yea everything stock for now. I think I found the issue. Bad chipset driver install. (i hope) Should have never ever used the driver cd, I knew better than to trust that gigabyte install crap.

I am downloading SP1 now. I thought it was rough updating XP from RTM, but I swear vista got a bunch of updates the first time, but the next four it was one update, reboot, repeat. :(

I will test it when sp1 is installed and let you guys know if it's ok.

Hopefully I can update my sig, and my gtx280 will be here friday.:D

lol i never use the disc for drivers. always get em online. let us know if it worked :thumbsup:

bacon12
07-10-08, 09:35 AM
hmmm. you run any memory tests? memtest86 or windows memory test?

lol i never use the disc for drivers. always get em online. let us know if it worked :thumbsup:

No I haven't but this is the same ram from my other rig. I will run it to see if I get any errors. I could also throw in a 2 gig set of corsair I have to see how it does.

I did get more stable but it ended up crashing. I also ran prime 95 and set it to work on both cores with two threads small fft's.

One of them failed with an error reporting a hardware problem. My temps are fine though??

What is the best program that will really test both cores, and report accurate errors?

ViN86
07-10-08, 09:50 AM
No I haven't but this is the same ram from my other rig. I will run it to see if I get any errors. I could also throw in a 2 gig set of corsair I have to see how it does.

I did get more stable but it ended up crashing. I also ran prime 95 and set it to work on both cores with two threads small fft's.

One of them failed with an error reporting a hardware problem. My temps are fine though??

What is the best program that will really test both cores, and report accurate errors?
check out the memory on the board with a memory test. i have had memory test's fail and the motherboard be the problem. that may be your case.

Tr1cK
07-10-08, 09:56 AM
NEVER get drivers from Windows Update
Install SP1 before anything else.

Bearclaw
07-10-08, 10:09 AM
Check and make sure everything is plugged in 100%. Could be a bad mobo.

bacon12
07-10-08, 12:26 PM
Well not the memory. I ran memtest 86 and it passed all tests. So I have double checked all connections.

Where can I go from here to test the cpu mobo? I don't have another intel cpu to drop in to test the motherboard. It could be a bad core right?

I don't wanna rma the motherboard if that isn't the issue. What other tests do you guys suggest I run?

I am gonna try an older nvidia driver, and my GTX 260 will be here sometime today, so I can drop it in and test it to rule out my gt going bad. I somehow think it is pcie related, and I see a small graphical glitch just after logging in.

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions so far. :thumbsup:

Tr1cK
07-10-08, 01:28 PM
Prime95 or Orthos on the CPU, I guess.

grey_1
07-10-08, 03:28 PM
Using 4 gigs? Install with 2 only, then either hotfix it or install SP1, then install the other 2gb.

bacon12
07-10-08, 04:22 PM
I tried the 2 gigs only, but when I run prime 95 with 2 worker threads one always errors, with a hardware failure reported. Both cores are the same temp, and haven't gone above 45 degrees on full load.

I just installed my gtx280, and will test some games in a bit and report back. I have windows up to date and SP1 is installed now.

grey_1
07-10-08, 08:51 PM
Any known bios issues with the board and the version it ships with?

Either way, hope you get it running right. That's frustrating stuff there.

bacon12
07-10-08, 11:17 PM
Not that I have seen from searches. There are two beta bios releases, but only difference is cpuid updates. The E8400 is supported with the version I have.

I didn't bsod playing with the gtx260, and I thought that it was the gt, but after an hour it locked up on me. Weird thing after it locked up and I rebooted, the clock was set to over two years ago, and Vista was freaking out thinking it was a pirated copy. Had to revalidate and set the clock manually.

I can't test anything else myself, and guess the motherboard is gonna be rma'ed if tech support doesn't help.

I hope I don't get a new board, and the cpu has a bad core or something, then I will be pissed.

Never had these problems with AMD. :p

bacon12
07-11-08, 10:38 AM
Update. Last night I reset everything in the bios, and set the multiy to 9 the FSB to 370, and left all the voltages to auto.

Leaving everything default in the bios makes the cpu underclock to 2.8, don't know why, and don't care as long as I can get it stable.

I ran prime 95 for ten hours with no errors?? I haven't tried any games yet, but will today.

I may RMA this motherboard anyway because it should run the CPU at the rated speed by default. I was looking at some other reasonably priced motherboards, and really like P5Q, and the P5E. Grey you like that P5E?

http://www.motherboardpro.com/ASUS-P5Q-Deluxe-LGA-775-Intel-ASUS-P45-Motherboard-Retail-p-655.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131317

grey_1
07-11-08, 10:53 AM
Update. Last night I reset everything in the bios, and set the multiy to 9 the FSB to 370, and left all the voltages to auto.

Leaving everything default in the bios makes the cpu underclock to 2.8, don't know why, and don't care as long as I can get it stable.

I ran prime 95 for ten hours with no errors?? I haven't tried any games yet, but will today.

I may RMA this motherboard anyway because it should run the CPU at the rated speed by default. I was looking at some other reasonably priced motherboards, and really like P5Q, and the P5E. Grey you like that P5E?

http://www.motherboardpro.com/ASUS-P5Q-Deluxe-LGA-775-Intel-ASUS-P45-Motherboard-Retail-p-655.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131317

I love this board, rock solid and an easy overclock, once I learned how to. (Thanks mullet!)

I did RMA the first one I had, doing exactly what yours is doing. Turned out to have a bad memory slot.

Also, the NB cooling solution isn't great for overclocking and several users and reviews have reported it's very difficult to remove due to the thermal adhesive Asus uses, if you want to upgrade.

Over all though, if you aren't planning on overclocking til it bleeds, I can recommend this board with a clear conscience.

bacon12
07-11-08, 11:09 AM
Thanks Grey, I think I am gonna grab that P5E. Pray that I get a good one, and won't have to go through this again.

If I was willing to pay $300 for one I would get the rampage or a GA-X38-DQ6, but I just can't make myself do it.

grey_1
07-11-08, 12:48 PM
Thanks Grey, I think I am gonna grab that P5E. Pray that I get a good one, and won't have to go through this again.

If I was willing to pay $300 for one I would get the rampage or a GA-X38-DQ6, but I just can't make myself do it.

I hear ya man. This does everything I need and then some, plus my support through Asus for a P35 that I blew a bios update on, then the P5E has been fantastic.

Gets me all warm and fuzzy. :D

Redeemed
07-11-08, 01:37 PM
..Gets me all warm and fuzzy. :D

Wow- that didn't take much. :rolleyes:

:p

Bearclaw
07-11-08, 02:22 PM
No Redeemed. :| We do not make fun of the older members on the forum.

Now, go sit in the corner.

bacon12
07-11-08, 02:35 PM
Oh one more thing Grey do you like the linux os in the bios? Do you ever use it?

And I am crash/lockup free today @ 3.4 ghz so it won't run stable at stock but is fine overclocked?? :screwy: