PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Failing?

nV`andrew
07-11-08, 12:34 PM
Been a while since i posted. BUT, when in doubt, come to nvnews. Lol..
Anyways, long time ago, some may remember that i had problems with my computer not booting, so i replaced my Gigabyte P35 mobo with a new one and the problems went away.
After putting the new Gigabyte P35 in, what do you know, computer boots fine, perfectly stable...for a couple of months.
I noticed in the past month or two it takes a reboot or two (using the power supply switch) before my motherboard posts and boots to windows. On the first boot (as in booting it up in the morning after being off all night) nothing will turn on except i believe my fans and various LED's.

A couple weeks ago my computer would also crash after having games running for long hours, although this seems to have gone away and could be related to my graphics card (its had artifacts for awhile and im waiting for a PCI card to come in before i RMA). It would crash and Windows would say ''This system has recovered from a serious error.''

So I'm fairly sure it is the motherboard again, but im surprised this has happened on two different Gigabyte P35 boards (First one was a DS3R, the latter being a DS3L). Could there be something wrong in my system causing this? Both my harddrives passed SMART tests just fine. All my temps look pretty good. Although the motherboard is around 50C but the northbridge supposedly runs warm on these.
I am doubting this is a driver error that could be fixed by a reformat because wouldn't it at least post to the splash screen and then boot to windows?

So I'm open to suggestions of what it may be, or any conclusions that it is for sure the motherboard causing it again.

bacon12
07-11-08, 02:42 PM
I dunno, but researching my issues with the DS3R I found a bunch of issues similar to what you are describing.

I have always loved gigabyte, but I am gonna RMA this one and get an asus instead.

Imbroglio
07-11-08, 02:43 PM
mem timings/voltage?

cpu at stock?

also, do you have a multimeter? wouldn't hurt testing the rails from your PSU into your mobo

CaptNKILL
07-11-08, 02:55 PM
I'm going to say it could be memory, FSB or CPU related.

I have ta similar board (the DS3R).

When I was testing overclocks I would get the fans-only power mode too. It always does it once after changing overclock settings, I think as some sort of test, but you set them too screwy the board will not post and it'll be stuck in a loop of fans on - reset - fans on - reset - fans on - reset or it'll just stay in the fans only mode and will never post.

Make sure your memory voltage is set to what the manufacturer recommends.

The OCZ SLI memory I had initially with this setup was extremely picky with memory voltages and would give me the screwed up reboot process if I changed any overclocking settings without boosting the memory voltage up to absurd levels and then lowering them again.

I see you have OCZ 1066 memory as well, so I would definitely advise setting your memory voltages manually. They are probably at auto right now. If you don't overclock you can probably just set it to 2.1v. I had to boost mine to 2.3 temporarily to get the system to post after changing overclock settings, but after the first post I could lower it to 2.1 again.

Hope this helps

nV`andrew
07-11-08, 03:47 PM
I'm going to say it could be memory, FSB or CPU related.

I have ta similar board (the DS3R).

When I was testing overclocks I would get the fans-only power mode too. It always does it once after changing overclock settings, I think as some sort of test, but you set them too screwy the board will not post and it'll be stuck in a loop of fans on - reset - fans on - reset - fans on - reset or it'll just stay in the fans only mode and will never post.

Make sure your memory voltage is set to what the manufacturer recommends.

The OCZ SLI memory I had initially with this setup was extremely picky with memory voltages and would give me the screwed up reboot process if I changed any overclocking settings without boosting the memory voltage up to absurd levels and then lowering them again.

I see you have OCZ 1066 memory as well, so I would definitely advise setting your memory voltages manually. They are probably at auto right now. If you don't overclock you can probably just set it to 2.1v. I had to boost mine to 2.3 temporarily to get the system to post after changing overclock settings, but after the first post I could lower it to 2.1 again.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the response. I remember PM'ing you when we were going to have like identical systems, lol.
Yeah, i have everything running stock for stability atm, ill try changing the voltages. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks guys.

nV`andrew
07-11-08, 04:07 PM
Ah somewhat embarrassing, i haven't tampered with my voltages on this motherboard. Since you have the same one, care to walk me through? :p I only see the option to raise them through the bios.

Thanks

Rummy
07-11-08, 11:05 PM
Ah somewhat embarrassing, i haven't tampered with my voltages on this motherboard. Since you have the same one, care to walk me through? :p I only see the option to raise them through the bios.

Thanks

Once you are in the bios hit Ctrl+f1 that should get you into what you are looking for. I think it is called mit,but can't be sure.

CaptNKILL
07-11-08, 11:46 PM

Thanks

Actually, that's what you want to do.

Its possible that the "auto" setting is defaulting to 1.8v, which is the standard DDR2 voltage. Most high performance memory is 2.1v or higher.

Try setting the vdim or DDR voltage (can't remember what its called) to +0.3v. :)

If that causes any problems for you, just clear your CMOS manually on the board.

I think there is a gigabyte overclocking\monitoring utility on the CD that will show you your current DDR voltage if you want to check it first.

nV`andrew
07-11-08, 11:52 PM
Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow morning and let you guys know how it goes.

CaptNKILL
07-12-08, 12:07 AM
Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow morning and let you guys know how it goes.

Good luck Andrew.

BTW, I just checked and the setting you want to change is DDR2 OverVoltage Control. Just try +0.3v, save and exit. It may reboot twice to test the settings, but it should work.

Hopefully that solves it for you.

nV`andrew
07-12-08, 12:23 AM
Good luck Andrew.

BTW, I just checked and the setting you want to change is DDR2 OverVoltage Control. Just try +0.3v, save and exit. It may reboot twice to test the settings, but it should work.

Hopefully that solves it for you.

Did it now, and i kind of laughed because it did exactly that, rebooted twice, i was like uh...and then it worked. The gigabyte utility confirmed 2.1v. So I'll just cross my fingers and hope it boots fine tomorrow. If not, then at least one thing is ruled out.

Thanks again.

CaptNKILL
07-12-08, 01:29 AM
No problem man. Good luck. :)

nV`andrew
07-12-08, 01:11 PM
Eek, it wouldn't post this morning, had to clear the CMOS. Everything is stock again. Any other ideas?

bacon12
07-12-08, 01:36 PM
I am not an intel oc expert and just got my first one this week. I had stability issues at stock, but I am now stable @3.4

All I did was raised the fsb to 380, and left the mulit @ 9. I left the voltages to auto, as I have no clue to what they should be, cpu is now at 1.3. It is stable I let prime 95 run for 12 hrs.

My memory timings are 5.5.6.18 and won't run stable @ 4.4.4.12. It's running @2.02 v

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=388207

nV`andrew
07-12-08, 01:44 PM
Hmm, i suppose i could try messing with them, but the only thing that i dont understand is how it ran stable for a good couple of months and now it likes to give me problems. It's pretty much doing the exact same thing as the first board, so it makes me wonder if something besides the motherboard is causing it.

nV`andrew
07-13-08, 11:42 AM
Well I noticed that occasionally my USB mouse and keyboard would randomly lose connection. I'm assuming the motherboard is dying. So I'm thinking of RMA'ing it but is there another motherboard i should try out in the meantime? I don't want to spend over $100 if possible. I'd like anything that is somewhat similar...I don't need SLi and only do light overclocking. Firewire would be nice but i could do without it.

nV`andrew
07-21-08, 05:08 PM
Just an update rather than making a new thread.
Computer stopped displaying any video or posting a couple days ago, and new RAM to replace my dead stick didn't fix it. So I ordered an Asus P45, hopefully it will solve my problem. I'm pretty much done with Gigabyte after seeing bad reviews on their p45's. I tried two graphics cards, clearing CMOS, new RAM, and none of them fixed it. I'm pretty positive it isn't my CPU since it was running fine under load, very cool idling as well (24-26C). So I'll see if the motherboard fixes it.