PDA

View Full Version : MSI P7N Diamond and Vista 64 ultimate probs

litri
07-13-08, 10:03 AM
Hi,

I have recently purchased a brand new MSI P7N diamond mobo that i paired with a Q6600 and 2x2gb of G.Skill DDR2 1000 sticks.

The problem is that i get to install Windows xp 64 and everything runs fine, but when i try to install Vista 64 and I get past the first installation reset after having decompressed all the files and the os is starting I get always a BSOD, the cpu seems to be ok and doesn't seem to be overheating, but I can't be sure as i can't enter XP 64 anymore as i was doing a dual boot with boot OSes and now I don't know how to get into booting XP 64 as i always get the Vista boot (probbly at that phase of the install it hadn't yet created the dual boot menu).

Is there a way to go back and still use XP 64?

I did the complete (almost 1 hour) mem test with the latest ver of memtest86 and the memory is in perfect shape, no errors. The mobo still has the original release BIOS from January of this year.

What's wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Lfctony
07-13-08, 10:32 AM
I think it's the 4gb issue... Try installing with only one stick of memory, or find a copy of vista with SP1 slipstreamed...

If you install with 2gb, patch with the following and then install the other 2gb...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

litri
07-13-08, 10:34 AM
Thanks, I'll try that!! :)

litri
07-13-08, 04:10 PM
Took the second module out and is workibg like a charm!! I have already installed Vista, now I only need to install the update and done!

Thanks!

Lfctony
07-14-08, 03:23 AM
Glad you sorted it out... :)

litri
07-16-08, 05:02 AM
Lfctony, now that I see your signature, you have oclocked your q6600 to 3ghz. I'm new on overclocking quad cores and dealing with all the 780i sli settings of my mobo...

I know it's not the topic but...

How should i oclock my CPU? I've heard about linked/unlinked ratios and lots of stuff, but i want to be careful while doing it.

My heatsink and 2x500 rpm scythe fans should be able to take it, isn't it? Do you know of a reliable guide for 780i overcloking?

Thanks again, dude! :)

Lfctony
07-17-08, 12:27 AM
Well, yours is the B3, which runs a bit hotter, but can also operate in a lower temp. Your ram is fast, so I'm guessing you can work in Linked mode. Here's a good guide. Read it, take everything slowly, one thing at a time.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=61146&mpage=1&key=

It's for the 680i but the boards and bios are nearly identical. Unfortunately you will have to run diagnostics for hours after overclocking, just to make sure that your selected settings are stable.

Tony.