PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice (with all the Bad Reviews)

gtxsliarmor
07-13-08, 08:49 PM
Hello All and Thank You for reading this. First off My PC I have now has a ASUS M2N32-sli deluxe with a AMD 6000+ X2, 4gb of corsair ddr2 8500cd @1066 and two PNY 7900 GTXs as You know it is an old system for gaming. I would like to get a New PC but am having a bad time picking a Motherboard I have been looking at going to an intel CPU 9450 or something faster but the thing is I have been reading reviews from buyers at new egg and zipzoomfly and a few others and all I am seeing on every Motherboard I look at is Bad just a load of trouble. I have been the 790i is junk and ASUS and Evga is junk Ok if this is true what are the gamers using I would like to know please any Help or ideas or Maybe the truth would be a big Help I would like to get a pair of 280s and room for a 3rd if I can fine a Motherboard that someone says works.
Thank You,
Don

Uberpwnage
07-13-08, 09:11 PM
Pretty much any SLI board you get will be asking for trouble, it's problems with the nforce chipset itself, not necessarily EVGA or ASUS. That's not to say it won't work, but you may run into some pretty annoying issues. I don't like my 780i SLI much, as it stands now you're forced to get an nforce board if you want SLI.

Fortunately, that's all going to change in about 4 months, as Intel's next-gen X58 chipset for their unreleased Nehalem processors will support SLI. So if I were you, I'd go with a decent X38 mobo maybe from Gigabyte, DFI, or possibly ASUS, depending on the board. This will ensure more stability for a Q9450, and a higher OC. 280 SLI or tri-SLI is simply overkill for most situations, so unless you're running 2560x1600, a single 280 will be just fine for now. If you're set on SLI, just hold out until Nehalem and X58, and you don't need a QX9650 or QX9770 this late in the game, they'll be worthless once Nehalem is out.

So pick up an X38, any GT200 or HD4000 series card, a Q9450, and save the rest of your cash for Nehalem and then buy the system you really want, trust me, it'll be worth it :)

Yaboze
07-16-08, 11:18 AM
Personally, I'd wait for X58. If you can't, maybe just get the GPU and if you can find a 939 X2 for cheap, that would hold you over. You can buy a decent GPU now, ATI 4000 series or G200, use it in the next system or get a cheap GPU, like the 9600 GT or 9800 GTX and run that until you're ready.

I can't see buying a whole new MB, CPU, RAM, GPU when something new is coming in 4 months.

You can't use the RAM or CPU in the X58 anyway, unless you bought DDR3 ram, which is still expensive. The X58 doesn't use the current Core 2 775 socket.

CaptNKILL
07-16-08, 06:12 PM
Personally, I'd wait for X58. If you can't, maybe just get the GPU and if you can find a 939 X2 for cheap, that would hold you over. You can buy a decent GPU now, ATI 4000 series or G200, use it in the next system or get a cheap GPU, like the 9600 GT or 9800 GTX and run that until you're ready.

I can't see buying a whole new MB, CPU, RAM, GPU when something new is coming in 4 months.

You can't use the RAM or CPU in the X58 anyway, unless you bought DDR3 ram, which is still expensive. The X58 doesn't use the current Core 2 775 socket.

He already has a socket AM2 6000+ X2 (not 939), so its not "that" bad.

A Phenom may work with a BIOS update. This guy had some luck with a similar board a while back...

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=319&threadid=90813

If the Phenoms work, you could always grab one of those and a 4870 or GTX 260. That'd give you a pretty good performance boost.

bacon12
07-16-08, 06:55 PM
I would just buy the single most fastest GPU I could afford, and upgrade everything else in a few months after Nelhaem is launched.

That is a pretty decent CPU you have there, and should be fine with a graphics upgrade for now.

Uberpwnage
07-16-08, 07:54 PM
I would just buy the single most fastest GPU I could afford, and upgrade everything else in a few months after Nelhaem is launched.

That is a pretty decent CPU you have there, and should be fine with a graphics upgrade for now.

+1 actually. The X2 6000+ really isn't that bad, just when I see X2 these days I think back to the old 4200's etc. So my original sugestion still goes, just drop the CPU and mobo.

CaptNKILL
07-18-08, 03:18 AM
I just realized that Redeemed is using the same board as the OP and he's using a Phenom 9600.

So, you should be able to do it with a BIOS update if you want more CPU power. :)